• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Gistech

The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

154 posts in this topic

Stiff was of course referring to the well-known Henry Mancina!

What he hadn't foreseen though is that the joke doesn't work, since that wasn't the guy's name.

Once and mstrox like this

Weird. If mufasa can be no other than earl Jones, scar should not be other than irons :(

Once and James like this

It's taken them ages to announce this, given that both VOs for Simba and Mufasa were announced so quickly, so I'm wondering if they DID approach Irons but perhaps he wasn't interested in the role or was otherwise unavailable. I mean, Zazu, Timon and Pumbaa all got announced ahead of Scar.

Damien F likes this

I'm just going to have to tune out all the people saying things like, "Live-action Simba is so cute!" or I'll go insane.

HE'S JUST AS MUCH AN ANIMATION AS THE ORIGINAL

Apparently a clip was shown at D23, and it was a shot-for-shot remake of the Circle of Life sequence, in particular where Rafiki presents Simba.

Please tell me that they do more with this than a shot-for-shot remake. That was one of Beauty and the Beast's biggest issues in my book.

It's completely pointless. You might as well be watching the original.

Then again, Favreau didn't do that with Jungle Book so I'm hoping we won't get a shot-for-shot remake.

The benefits of such an endevour are at most marginal and most often unexistant

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You don't think it's possible to improve something while retaining it's composition?

Of course it's possible, but from what I've seen it didn't do Beauty And The Beast any favours (in my view) and I'm a little concerned that they'll do the same with the Lion King. The Lion King is clearly going to follow the original story closely, but I'd rather see them doing something more with it than a simple shot-for-shot remake. The Jungle Book wasn't a shot-for-shot remake of the animated film - in fact I'd say they decided to lean closer to the book in some ways than the original animated film did. I could certainly see this film using some new ideas and some ideas that didn't make the original film.

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You don't think it's possible to improve something while retaining it's composition?

Nope, and Van Sant's Psycho drove the nail into that coffin. The flesh-and-blood facsimile will always come off worse.

1 minute ago, Sharky said:

Nope, and Van Sant's Psycho drove the nail into that coffin. The flesh-and-blood facsimile will always come off worse.

I raise you with Haneke's Funny Games.

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I raise you with Haneke's Funny Games.

Just as appalling as the original.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

THE JUNGLE BOOK?

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST?

CINDERELLA?

THE LION KING?

One of those is not like the others! ;)

(Hopefully two...)

Gistech likes this

Nobody brings up Pete's Dragon for some reason on these lists. Then again, the 'remake' might as well be an all-new film because it is (thankfully) nothing like the original.

35 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Nobody brings up Pete's Dragon for some reason on these lists. Then again, the 'remake' might as well be an all-new film because it is (thankfully) nothing like the original.

Probably because it was treated like a much smaller film, and it's not based off a well Disney film. Good movie though.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Weird. If mufasa can be no other than earl Jones, scar should not be other than irons :(

I can imagine it was hard to get Irons back. I'm sure they considered his name at least.

44 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Does anyone know why last year there were two remakes?

Is that a sign of things to come and we'll get Marvel numbers of films?

Their music is generally pretty solid and most are fun enough, so I wouldn't mind much.

But I do prefer if they focus on the stuff that life action does well (e.g. not the songs).

Also, whose clever idea was it to make the new Aladdin into a full blown musical? Way to ruin a promising story concept!

I was hoping for a more up-to-date version of The Thief of Baghdad...

Oh wait, that one was littered with silly songs as well. Bugger. Still figure a good film could be made out of that by focusing on the Arabian adventure instead though!

Why are grown men so adverse to the unstoppable march of changing trends in cinema? 

Grizzled tip: accept that there's fuck all to be achieved from moaning about literally everything in the arts you happen to disagree with. Make your peace with everlasting indifference. 

The funniest thing for me is that trusted media picked this story up, giving it credibility it clearly wasn't supposed to have.