Let's talk about the unreleased cues from "The Lost World"!

Josh500

Which are your most anticipated ones? It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I would say, off the top of my head.

1. the full version of "Sarah's Rescue"

2. T Rex attacking in the jungle and the waterfall (tranquillizer cue?)

3. the extended "Visitor in San Diego"

But there are so many..... 

Also, I'm very eager to hear the alternative "The Lost World" theme.

25 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Which are your most anticipated ones? It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I would say, off the top of my head.

Yeah my favourite unreleased stuff comes from the whole longer trailer sequence (Rescuing Sarah and the surrounding cues), the second part of the raptor sequence (High Bar and Ceiling Tiles) and the various unreleased pieces of the finale.

Also your number 2 is titled "Ripples" on the new release, which is humorously named Rialto Ripples on the original manuscript, the lengthy scene where T-Rex sneaks upon the group of survivors and Tembo tries to tranquilize and capture one of the Rexes. Johnny's more punny cue titles didn't make it to this set though.

The alternate The Lost World theme is not exactly new apart from the 14 second opening (as far as I know), which is cool I have to admit.

Ah, great. "Ripples" is one of my favorites unreleased little moments from TLW. So percussion heavy and chaotic and wild, somehow reminds me of the unreleased conspiracy music from JFK.

This...

Yeah that music used for David Ferrie's nervous agitation.

Plus I am interested to hear if the original version of the Ripples contained the quote from the Truck Stop music or was that an edit and JW composed originally something else for that particular passage.

Ah, I gotta rewatch TLW asap. Not really sure what you mean by the "Truck Stop music"...

But seriously, just getting the full "Sarah's Rescue" is like getting the full "Desert Chase" or the full "Jungle Chase." :) I can't be more excited. 

Just now, Josh500 said:

Ah, I gotta rewatch TLW asap. Not really sure what you mean by the "Truck Stop music"...

Seriously, just getting the full "Sarah's Rescue" is like getting the full "Desert Chase" or the full "Jungle Chase." :)

I mean Rescuing Sarah. The original cue title is Truck Stop.

Even if this is shameless self-promotion, you might want to check out my analysis of the score HERE if you already haven't. It might clear up some things before you get to hear the actual full score and read the liner notes.

There is n

40 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The LaLaLand track is only 4 seconds longer than the OST track. It also doesn't have an asterisk next to it, indicating no new music in that track. Monster on the Loose appears to have some unreleased music though, including music dialled out of the film.

20 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The alternate The Lost World theme is not exactly new apart from the 14 second opening (as far as I know), which is cool I have to admit.

Does anyone know if the remainder of the cue is, at least, an alternate take? If it's just the same take as the normal version with a 14 second insert new opening, that's disappointing.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

There is n

The LaLaLand track is only 4 seconds longer than the OST track. It also doesn't have an asterisk next to it, indicating no new music in that track. Monster on the Loose appears to have some unreleased music though, including music dialled out of the film.

Well, I mean that, then.

San Diego is a pretty long sequence (half an hour?). I'm pretty sure not all music was included on the OS. Some great cues are still missing....

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Does anyone know if the remainder of the cue is, at least, an alternate take? If it's just the same take as the normal version with a 14 second insert new opening, that's disappointing.

To my understanding they recorded this new intro and it was inserted editorially to the opening of the end credits piece which is title The Lost World on the OST.

Just now, Josh500 said:

Well, I mean that, then.

San Diego is a pretty long sequence (half an hour?). I'm pretty sure not all music was included on the OS. Some great cues are still missing....

Yep, there's music in the film's climax not on the OST, but there's also music JW wrote that wasn't used in the film nor included on the OST. There's also music he wrote and included on the OST that ended up being unscored (Wompi's Wrench, as heard on the OST in The Compy's Dine) while there's also tracked music for key scenes like the Rex marching through immigration and roaring at the San Diego skyline (tracked from Visitor in San Diego).

So I've come to an obvious conclusion: both the film score and the OST are a complete mess. It gives me a headache just thinking about what was used, what was unused, what was tracked and what was dialled out from the film. And most importantly of all, what was recorded but also unused in the film and not included on the OST, which is the most exciting part of this release.

Yes.

But to be honest, if a piece of music JW wrote was neither used in the movie nor included in the OS album, I don't need to necessarily hear it. If we get it, that's great, it's a bonus and I won't complain, of course (and sometimes that's awesome like "The Hunt").

But if we don't get it, that was obviously JW's (or Spielberg's) decision and I can accept and live with that.

Well, I'm very curious, of course (who wouldn't be?), but whether it's released to the public or not is up to the artist (JW) and I respect his decision. 

That said, generally, I want every single cue used in the movie but NOT included on the OS album....

I have absolutely no idea.

I love the film (severely underrated) and obviously the ol' album (digipack and all), but have never analyzed the film's score for potential unreleased highlights.

While this new set is not for me, I'd be interested in sampling the cues for curiousity's sake.

If memory serves, there are a great many sequences that are very effective because they LACK music. Like a lot of the iconic camper/cliff sequence.

He, he....at least we join together in our love of the JURASSIC PARK scores, petaQ (regardless of their presentations)!

This whole shebang has inspired me to rewatch my trilogy DVD set, though. I've only seen the first film, like, 60 times -- so I'm game for another go. I'll try to pay extra attention to the TLW music this time around.

It just occurred to me....

I love the quietly intensifying music building up and up until it reaches a fever pitch while the T-Rex is stalking the campsite and poking its nose into a tent. Is that part of "Ripples"??

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Gawd this is an amazing cue. I love, love, LOVE the music as Tembo gets into the tranquilizer kit and approaches the bull Rex.

Yeah, that's the best part of the entire score. I intend to create an infinite loop of that part and listen to it for hours.

This is really a beautiful and thoughtful ending.... I love it!

The franchise lives on, but for Steven Spielberg and John Williams this was the end, in a way. (Yes, Spielberg continued to serve as executive producer and Williams's themes were reused, but still). 

So does that mean that Williams repurposed/reused some of the action material from the Truck Stop for the Rialto Ripples with just minor changes then?

Yeah, I've read it too somewhere. 

The orchestra reportedly had a really tough time getting some of the cues, especially the percussion heavy cues, right. The orchestra had to play some of pieces over and over and over again....

I'm thinking "Sarah's Rescue" and "Ripples" were just two of these.

not completely relevant, but I went on the Hal Leonard site to see if the Lost World concert version was available, and it is.  The odd thing was for performance time, they list over ten minutes.  I am guessing it is a misprint, but I thought for anyone who might have looked at the sheet music, they could clarify. 

https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4490068&lid=149&keywords=john

17 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Which are your most anticipated ones?

Rialto Ripples, High Bar and Ceiling Tiles, In The Trailer

That's Rialto Ripples

The OST version of that was already complete....

There is no alternative theme, its simply the exact same album track as before, but with the 14 second alternate opening you can heard in the end credits of the film, instead of the album's opening 14 seconds.

17 hours ago, Incanus said:

Plus I am interested to hear if the original version of the Ripples contained the quote from the Truck Stop music or was that an edit and JW composed originally something else for that particular passage.

Well, we'd probably need to get ahold of Williams original sketches to know if Williams ever wrote something original for that part of the cue.  If you look at the conductor's score and compare it with Truck Stop, you can see they literally copied and pasted music from Truck Stop into Rialto Ripples, so that was what was recorded.  

For example pull up page 28 of Rialto Ripples (bars 108-110), and page 28 of Truck Stop (bars 109-112).  The flutes, oboes, clarinets and bassoons have different (but extremely similar) notes there... but look at the Horns, Trumpets, and Trombones... it's LITERALLY the same notes, in the same handwriting... because it's literally copy and pasted in from Truck Stop!  You can even see the lines not line up because of the photocopying.

Anyway, this track on CD will still feature tons of music that wasn't used in the film.

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, we'd probably need to get ahold of Williams original sketches to know if Williams ever wrote something original for that part of the cue.  If you look at the conductor's score and compare it with Truck Stop, you can see they literally copied and pasted music from Truck Stop into Rialto Ripples, so that was what was recorded.  

For example pull up page 28 of Rialto Ripples (bars 108-110), and page 28 of Truck Stop (bars 109-112).  The flutes, oboes, clarinets and bassoons have different (but extremely similar) notes there... but look at the Horns, Trumpets, and Trombones... it's LITERALLY the same notes, in the same handwriting... because it's literally copy and pasted in from Truck Stop!  You can even see the lines not line up because of the photocopying.

Anyway, this track on CD will still feature tons of music that wasn't used in the film.

Yes! I am giddy as a school boy here waiting for Tuesday so I can place my order! This is definitely one of my holiest of grails I didn't even dare to hope for which makes it doubly sweet that LLL fulfilled my wish! :lol:

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

The LaLaLand track is only 4 seconds longer than the OST track. It also doesn't have an asterisk next to it, indicating no new music in that track.

"Visitor In San Diego" is an album track combining two cues - 13m1 A Neighborhood Visitor & 13m2 Streets Of San Diego.  If you watch the film, you'll see those two cues don't actually overlap - there's a short unscored moment between then.  Since they DID overlap on Williams' OST and the LLL track is now a little longer, I'm guessing Matessino gave the two cues proper space between them, which is actually accurate to Williams' intentions (for the film).

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

Monster on the Loose appears to have some unreleased music though, including music dialled out of the film.

Monster on the Loose is a completely unreleased cue; No part of it was on the OST at all.  Parts of it were dialed out in the final film, and a portion was replaced by music tracked in from Visitor In San Diego.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

"Visitor In San Diego" is an album track combining two cues - 13m1 A Neighborhood Visitor & 13m2 Streets Of San Diego.  If you watch the film, you'll see those two cues don't actually overlap - there's a short unscored moment between then.  Since they DID overlap on Williams' OST and the LLL track is now a little longer, I'm guessing Matessino gave the two cues proper space between them, which is actually accurate to Williams' intentions (for the film).

Based on the A.I. set Matessino seems to be leaving small pause between cues not meant to overlap, which gives them a clean beginning/ending as in the case of Moon Rising and the Biker Hounds. I am sure he has handled things like that on this set as well. And yes the 4 second difference between the Visitor in San Diego compared to the OST might be due to this unless there is a note or two of new music as it is marked as "Extended version".

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

Nah, Williams wrote one piece called "The Lost World (End Credits)", and that's the familiar piece that opens up the original OST album.

Then he later wrote "End Credit Insert", which is a new 11 bar opening that in recorded form is about 14 seconds.  It's always been available entirely in the film's end credits.

13 hours ago, Josh500 said:

It just occurred to me....

I love the quietly intensifying music building up and up until it reaches a fever pitch while the T-Rex is stalking the campsite and poking its nose into a tent. Is that part of "Ripples"??

Yes.

18 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Closer to 20 minutes.  The final 6 tracks of the main score presentation are from that sequence, but most of the music was on the OST.

4-07 Ludlow’s Speech * 3:15 - not on the OST
4-08 The Wrecked Ship 2:22 - On the OST (inside "The Compys Dine" track)
4-09 Monster on the Loose * 2:38 - not on the OST
4-10 Visitor in San Diego (Extended Version) 7:41 - on the OST

4-11 Ludlow’s End 2:52 - on the OST (inside "Ludlow's Demise" track)
4-12 Tranquilizer Dart ** 3:01 - on the OST (inside "Finale and Jurassic Park Theme" track), though the final 37 seconds weren't  (and weren't used in the film either!)

Maybe this will help

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQVQ3-6XtN44Izw8DdfPboJ3UlFcCaRJLSd4IUkptki45UkHHYFMK65v59Wc5QhpIzsW_mTNCvTIXyd/pubhtml

The only really confusing part of The Lost World for me is what Williams wrote for the final shot. Was the film version what he wrote? Or was it the solo horn as on the OST? Or is it something completely new, hence the 37 seconds of new music in Tranquiliser Dart, and the end credits were then intended to begin with the Jurassic Park theme?

The full cue as Williams wrote and recorded it is what you hear in track 14 of the OST from 0:00-2:23 followed by a 37 second section that was both omited from the film and not included on the OST.  The film tracks in the Island Theme instead of that original ending of the cue.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

The full cue as Williams wrote and recorded it is what you hear in track 14 of the OST from 0:00-2:23 followed by a 37 second section that was both omited from the film and not included on the OST.

Yup. A much more downbeat music for the final shots of the dinosaurs before going into the end credit suite for the TLW and then the JP suite which is in essence the revised concert suite which Williams created after the first film.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

The full cue as Williams wrote and recorded it is what you hear in track 14 of the OST from 0:00-2:23 followed by a 37 second section that was both omited from the film and not included on the OST.

Wow, so the final shot was tracked music (taken from 5:24 OST Track 14) and he decided to omit whatever he wrote for the film's ending from the OST!

I wonder if that means he intended for the end credits to begin with The Lost World (concert opening) or Jurassic Park Theme? Presumably Williams' original music for the film's final shot had a clean ending, rather than something designed to transition into the end credits.

My mind is totally blown right now!

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow, so the final shot was tracked music (taken from 5:24 OST Track 14) and he decided to omit whatever he wrote for the film's ending from the OST!

Right.

I wonder if that means he intended for the end credits to begin with The Lost World (concert opening) or Jurassic Park Theme?

Well we may never know for sure, but I'd assume The Lost World theme track since he did call it "End Credits" after all.

Presumably Williams' original music for the film's final shot had a clean ending, rather than something designed to transition into the end credits.

Yea, it isn't written to segue directly to either theme arrangement.

My mind is totally blown right now!

There's plenty more revelations here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19455-complete-cue-list-the-lost-world-jurassic-park/

6 hours ago, Jay said:

This is a great analysis, thanks!

I've been listening to the OS album of TLW non-stop in the past 48 hours, in anticipation of this new release....

I couldn't be more excited. 

So am I correct in saying that "Horning In" appears to lift passages directly from Truck Stop (basically the same ones lifted in "Rialto Ripples")? I always assumed this was tracked music, as it sounds heavily edited and disjointed in the film (probably more a reflection of how weirdly edited this section of the film is).

This set also seemingly confirms nothing was recorded for the deleted sequence where (a drunken?) Ludlow trips over and breaks the baby Rex's leg. I'm guessing that whole subplot was removed early in post. Bit of a shame; it has a nice symmetry to the bull Rex crushing his legs at the end.

6KcGHhV.jpg

I always wondered why Ludlow appeared drunk during the island scenes. He seemed like a totally different character to the stone cold corporate a-hole in his introduction scene with Goldblum in Hammond's home.

One thing to keep in mind with (Rialto) Ripples - the slow build heard in the film doesn't really match the sheet music. I believe the film version was created by looping bits of the recording, but I'm not sure. So that track will be especially interesting to hear.