BloodBoal

Well, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just saying it's more quotable than an awful lot of movies with similar exposure. Many movies are much more highly quotabl (meaning to say they have better and wittier written dialogue), but are they actually quoted in day to day conversations?

Yes, I was the one I brought it up. I still think it is one of the most quoted blockbusters in recent years. And helps reinforce its impact in popular culture. Not that it matters much or pertains to the quality of the movie itself

If you were to walk around random malls in America and observe what tshirts kids today are wearing, there's a lot of Force Awakens and The Avengers (especially Iron Man and Hulk) when it comes to shirts stemming from the movies of the late 2000s and 2010s.  

The brief impact the Hunger Games and Twilight had seem to already be over, and younger kids today don't seem to care about Harry Potter much either.

What's our measure of a classic anyway?  Is it that a lot of people still actively like and will watch the film years later?  By that measure, all of the Star Wars prequels are classic films.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

If you were to walk around random malls in America and observe what tshirts kids today are wearing, there's a lot of Force Awakens, The Dark Knight, and The Avengers (especially Iron Man and Hulk) when it comes to shirts stemming from the movies of the late 2000s and 2010s.

You don't see those T-shirts around here.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Anyway, Master and Commander is a film with all the qualifications for 'sleeper' classic status. 

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes. It's a pity it didn't capture the imagination of the pedestrian rabble!

A very fine film indeed, but not exactly "recent"

Just now, Stefancos said:

I haven't seen Rocky, but know what it's about.

"Adriennnneeeee!"

It's a classic!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

A very fine film indeed, but not exactly "recent"

I'm sort stuck in some weird flux where I think of everything after 1993 as being new. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's sort of wild for me to wrap my head around that we're as far from Jurassic Park and Pulp Fiction as those were from, I dunno, Mary Poppins and Butch Cassidy.

What?  Mary Poppins came out in 1964 and Jurassic Park in 1993, 29 years later.  29 years after 1993 isn't until 2022.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Fucking hell you are being literal and annoying today, Jason!

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make some precise, exact comparison.  Just a general feeling.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I like the XKCD comic about this topic

http://xkcd.com/1491/

I don't think the Star Wars films have a place on that graph at all. Regardless of being set in the distant past in a distant galaxy, they aren't history or period dramas of this timeline. 

I think Lincoln will stick around in the US but almost more for the idea of it being a great movie. Nobody really loves watching it but it looks and feels like an American masterpiece and people will admire its intellect and craftsmanship impersonally and reverentially, because it's Spielberg and Day-Lewis taking on this iconic figure and in a pretty definitive way. Any future biopics about American presidents will be compared to it, US politicians will reference it in their speeches with a near-religious tone like Hillary, while most American citizens will only really remember seeing Lincoln in 8th grade history and being bored, but they'll all have seen it!

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

They definitely do, at least for more crowdpleasing fare.  It's a Wonderful Life and The Wizard of Oz are great examples too of films that TV made into the classics they are today.  Of course in this new era of streaming platforms slowly usurping traditional TV channels, who knows.

Movies that are available on Netflix, Hulu etc will probably be a factor, yeah.

I see The Social Network and The Wolf of Wall Street as particularly zeitgeist-y movies that will continue to be brought up more and more over time, looking back at the 2010s. They broke into mainstream successes at the box office, Oscar-nominated for Best Picture/Director/Actor/Screenplay, notable big-name directors, strong lead performances and ensemblesvery popular with 18-35s who will keep watching and finding new things to reference, acclaimed screenplays with quotable lines, memorable beginnings and endings, relevant to pervading cultural/political/social issues, play really well as fast-moving comedic entertainments but have a dark underbelly with some intellectual heft.

The Tree of Life comes to mind as something that will continue to be divisive but whose fans are much more passionate than its detractors, so it'll eventually emerge in a positive light, like Blade Runner or Brazil. I think that film's stylistic approach and Malick in general will influence a lot of future filmmakers. The Master and/or Inherent Vice might sort of end up the same way, the former especially with its powerhouse lead performances, and I would probably put something like Drive in that group too. Hip film-loving teenagers and 20-somethings love these movies and they'll continue to champion them, to where they might break into more of a mainstream classic status in a few decades. This is compared to something like Cloud Atlas which has admirers but also is routinely called a flop and makes a lot of "worst films" lists, so it can probably only ever be a cult film.

Inception is pretty much a no-brainer, that Nolan and DiCaprio combo is rock solid. Made a truckload of money, obviously, and the great reviews and Best Picture Oscar nomination along with its lightly philosophizing nature gives it an air of prestige. Pop culture touchstone, it's still referenced like it was released yesterday, I hear "inceptioned" used often enough as a joke for "things within things". Zimmer's "BWAAAAHM","We need to go deeper". That and Mad Max: Fury Road would seem to me this decade's popular action classics. 

I feel like Quentin Tarantino's movies will probably all end up pretty much in one big stew as classics under his name, he's become his own brand at this point. Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained stand out as Oscar-winning box-office hits with big movie stars, memorable lines and scenes. The Hateful Eight wouldn't seem as big of a deal, but it has all the same things people love about QT and I think it'll be one of the handful of movies from this decade that people remember.

And I think with the franchises, it'll be the brand that's remembered more than the movies themselves. People will remember "Marvel movies" or "Harry Potter movies" without really singling out any one in particular, basically like how James Bond movies are looked at. Sure, there may be one that generally sticks out on top like Goldfinger (I guess the equivalents would be The Avengers and Prisoner of Azkaban?), but really it's the whole enterprise that stays in the consciousness. People will just re-watch and re-rank the movies and everyone's personal lists will be different. Probably the same deal with Hunger Games, Pixar, etc. And Frozen will simply join the collage of classic Disney musicals.

I'm sure there are other candidates, probably some things we wouldn't expect or normally discuss. I feel like American Sniper hit a really unexpected chord, and its #1 box-office status will stick out amidst all the franchises and sequels. Clint Eastwood's name will keep it around, and it's also one of the few movies about Iraq/Afghanistan that anybody paid any attention to, which is significant. Zero Dark Thirty might stay in the consciousness as well.

What's considered a classic is nearly impossible without distance. It's clearer what has had a greater impact when it's many years later, so it's not surprising that it's hard to tell what recent films will be classics. 

From this decade, these seem the likely contenders (it gets harder the closer it is to present day)

2010: The Social Network (possibly the most obvious), Inception (possibly the second most obvious), Toy Story 3 (as part of a classic trilogy)

2011: Maybe Drive and Bridesmaids.

2012: Maybe Django Unchained. Also The Avengers (but only to the extent that it was the first superhero team up - of which there already have been and there will be many, many more). If there's any justice, Lincoln.

2013: Gravity and The Wolf of Wall Street

2014: Maybe The Lego Movie and The Grand Budapest Hotel. If there's any justice, Whiplash and Interstellar. If the sequels turn out well, Guardians of the Galaxy.

2015: Mad Max: Fury Road. Maybe Ex Machina.

2016: The only one that comes to mind is La La Land but unsure of staying power at this point.

Smaller movies that people will continue to talk about in smaller circles:

The Tree of Life, The Master, The Act of Killing, Her, Under the Skin, Carol, Room, Moonlight, and maybe Manchester by the Sea and Silence.

Cult classic contenders:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Attack the Block, The Raid, Cloud Atlas, Prisoners, Edge of Tomorrow, Snowpiercer, Nightcrawler, Popstar, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Green Room