SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

24 minutes ago, Trope said:

I wanted to confirm if others have heard the clicking/popping noises at the starts/ends of the tracks (except for the last 2). I don't believe this was present in the original 1998 OST. I have gapless playback, so I have to assume these sounds are actually on the tracks themselves.

Yes the original album was mastered gaplessly, with ambient room sound used for the transitions between tracks.

For the 2018 release, this album master was used but the transitions between tracks seem to have been altered.

I guess this is a mistake since we can indeed hear a small pop sound several times...but the issue is minor in my opinion as those noises really aren't loud.

• 8 months later...

GOING OUT OF PRINT SPECIAL!!!  Our acclaimed CD release of John Williams' brilliant SAVING PRIVATE RYAN score goes out of print on 8/31. We are offering this title at an amazing sale price of ONLY $8 EACH.  Offer is good thru 8/31 or while supplies last.

Theoretical question: What if they hadn't sold nearly all the units? What would happen on 8/31? Why do they have dates for these things now? Shouldn't the studio just allow them to wait until, well, they're all sold out?

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Theoretical question: What if they hadn't sold nearly all the units? What would happen on 8/31? Why do they have dates for these things now? Shouldn't the studio just allow them to wait until, well, they're all sold out?

I'm guessing it's a mix between pushing product that hasn't been selling well with a sale and then if there's still some left and they happened to get bought at the full price down the line, LLL prob considers that a win/win

It was LLL's informed decision to make of course, but 4000 units for a still readily available score is double what most of Varese's club releases get for highly requested titles. Would they really just have had a 'it's Williams... it'll sell' approach?

Especially with no remastering, I struggled to see the appeal outside of our very niche community who actually understood what the additional tracks were.

• 4 months later...

Is a program of this album in film order be something like:

1. 02. Revisiting Normandy (4:05)
  2. 03. Omaha Beach (9:15)
  3. 04. Finding Private Ryan (4:37)
  4. 05. Approaching The Enemy (4:31)
  5. 06. Defense Preparations (5:54)
  6. 07. Wade’s Death (4:30)
  7. 11. High School Teacher (Film Version) (4:28)
  8. 12. The Last Battle (Film Version) (8:02)
  9. 10. Hymn To The Fallen (Reprise) (6:17)

I'm considering listening to it in film order once, but maybe replacing the film version of High School Teacher for the almost three times longer album version.

Also, does anyone know why almost 7 minutes of High School Teacher was dropped?

On 1/8/2018 at 11:22 AM, Jay said:

Also, the track "High School Teacher" on the OST was always just the first 2 and half-ish minutes of the cue followed by 7 minutes of music repeated from "Omaha Beach" before returning to the end of the High School Teacher cue. When when it returns to the end, it skipped past a short section (bars 45-47) of the cue. You can hear this unreleased section in the film in its proper place.

On 28/08/2018 at 10:17 AM, Jay said:

To clear up any confusion:

The album track titled "Hymm to the Fallen (Reprise)" is bit for bit completely identical to "Hymm to the Fallen"

The album track titled "The Last Battle" is the original version of the cue as Williams originally intended it to be heard.  If you watch this video, you see Spielberg asking him to make a change for the section where it transitions from '44 back to modern day; The Insert was recorded and edited into the final film, and the new LLL track titled "The Last Battle (Film Version)" is the cue with that Insert properly edited in for the first time.

The album track titled "High School Teacher" only ever presented a portion of the actual "High School Teacher" cue; Williams decided to replace 3 bars (about 10 seconds) of the middle of the cue with about 7 minutes of material repeated from Omaha Beach for album listening experience purposes.  In other words, the track contents are:

• 0:00-2:39 = the first 44 bars of "High School Teacher"
  • 2:39-9:30 = a repeat of most of "Omaha Beach"
  • 9:30-end = bars 48-end of "High School Teacher"

The new LLL track "High School Teacher (Film Version)" is simply the full original cue as Williams recorded it with no edits.

Therefore, to listen to the complete score in chronological order, all you need to do is this:

01 02 Revisiting Normandy (4:06)
02 03 Omaha Beach (9:15)
03 05 Approaching the Enemy (4:31)
04 04 Finding Private Ryan (4:37)
05 07 Wade's Death (4:30)
06 11 High School Teacher (Film Version) (4:31)
07 06 Defense Preparations (5:54)
08 12 The Last Battle (Film Version) (8:02)
09 01 Hymn To The Fallen (6:10)

Bonus track:
10 09 The Last Battle (7:57) [original version]

OST tracks 8 and 10 can be completely dropped from your playlist as they contain nothing but material already present in other tracks.

And, instead of including both versions of The Last Battle in your personal playlist, you can compare the string section in both and go with whichever one you prefer; The first version Williams originally recorded (track 9) or the revised version that Spielberg requested (track 12).

Well yes but also you had the chronological order wrong in your post, so the post I quoted has the correct order