Williams makes pledge to LAPhil

TownerFan

2 hours ago, Richard said:

By donating this money, what, exactly, are Mr. and Mrs. Williams getting?

Silence from the LA Phil who are now contractually obligated to not publish any salacious details of his various immoral/illegal exploits.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I'm sure that the L.A. Phil. is, but I'm still not sure what's in it, for JW, and his missus. 

What is a "creative chair", anyway?

Did this need to be publicised? Couldn't the donation have been made anonymously?

It benefits the orchestra to publicize it of course.  A large donation from a world famous pillar of the musical community like Williams encourages other rich people

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It benefits the orchestra to publicize it of course.  A large donation from a world famous pillar of the musical community like Williams encourages other rich people

No, I'm pretty sure it's just the Hollyweird celebrities (of whom I'm often the beneficiary of but love to criticize their existence) giving each other fellatio YET AGAIN.

This seems to be a recurrent factor in US society. Lots of benefactors and supporters and so on, that get their own plaque or whatever. Same with 'Honorary Doctorates', like the one Williams received from Berkeley(?) a couple of years ago. They love that stuff. Still, donations is not a uniquely US phenomenon, and I hope they put the money to good use -- whatever it is.

11 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

No, I'm pretty sure it's just the Hollyweird celebrities (of whom I'm often the beneficiary of but love to criticize their existence) giving each other fellatio YET AGAIN.

Well yes, but the LA Phil management know exactly how the rich people think and act.  They see someone like Williams donate and they want to be seen being in the same social circles/class.  I know some people that work in non-profit fundraising, it’s all about psychology!

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well yes, but the LA Phil management know exactly how the rich people think and act.  They see someone like Williams donate and they want to be seen being in the same social circles/class.  I know some people that work in non-profit fundraising, it’s all about psychology!

Perhaps my satire wasn't clear enough