Is the ROTS movie turned out to be as good as you expected?

Damo

Is the ROTS movie turned out to be as good as you expected it to be?  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

hey... haven't posted in a while. I've been busy. I just saw Revenge of the Sith yesterday and it was a good movie. I cant wait to get the ROTS on DVD.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The film exceeded my expectations.

I hadn't really been following the whole production craze at TFN like I did for the previous two films, so ROTS sort of snuck up on me. I appreciate Williams' score on album and within the film ten times more than I did upon first listening to those leaked mp3s. The acting (especially by Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor) was superb. The special effects were hardly noticeable, which is a sign of special effects done well. General Grievous was cooler than I'd originally imagined. Finally, the intense darkness and sometimes surreal atmosphere is well balanced with some Original Trilogy-esque humour.

The only thing that's bugged me is they could have thought of a better reason for Padme to die. "Not having the will to live" despite having two kids to raise is a plot hole comparable to the "turning back the Earth" inconsistencies in Superman: The Movie. Either that, or it just shows a kind of selfishness in her character. Near fatal, but not enough to kill the movie because it has so many strong points.

Yes but only because I had relatively low expectations. I expected a fairly good film that would serve as entertainment that I could enjoy. I certainly was not expecting a SW caliber film.

There was a lot of stuff cut from the boarding of the cruiser. There was a lengthy section where Anakin and Obi-Wan waded through starship fuel, which eventually blew up when they got out of it before they get to the elevator. And after saving Palpatine, they were going to try and find something to fly out of there (without success), before going into the hallway where they eventually get caught.

The opening shot was also originally longer.

During maybe the 1st 15 minutes of the movie, I was worried cause the space battle was kinda boring. Spectacular, but boring... And then it just got much better from there. Exceded expectations.

Yeah its like "What have I done?!??!! banghead " Then sidious comes up and is like "Oh hey. Sucks, dont it. join the dark side. blah" more or less..... it is very abrupt

my expectations are so low, even with all the sickening praise people have given it, it can't help but be better, but then again, it is Lucas in the 21st century. I still expect spectacle and minimal story, horrible acting by Ewen McGregor, who has been a horrible choice for Obi-Wan, the utterly inspid Natalie Portman, who should have been replaced after her flat delivery in TPM, and Hayden Christenson who is abysmal, I am surprised some crazed Star Wars fan hasn't offed him as a gift to the Star Wars community, and fans of good acting in general.

Its a shame because I thought that the rest of the seduction of Anakin was so well done... the sow but sure playing on his fears of Padme; the placing of two paths in Anakin's mind, and then leading him down the Sith one; the revealing of his "Sithness", knowing that Anakin would only half-heartedly turn him over.

But then "KILL HIM! Well done." "But I... Yes Master" "Rise Lord Vader" "I serve you, and you only". Oh dear... (but then I suppose it might have been better than a painfully long and drawn out "conversion").

my expectations are so low, even with all the sickening praise people have given it, it can't help but be better, but then again, it is Lucas in the 21st century.  I still expect spectacle and minimal story, horrible acting by Ewen McGregor, who has been a horrible choice for Obi-Wan, the utterly inspid Natalie Portman, who should have been replaced after her flat delivery in TPM, and Hayden Christenson who is abysmal, I am surprised some crazed Star Wars fan hasn't offed him as a gift to the Star Wars community, and fans of good acting in general.

You never seized to amaze, Joe. Sure, blame it on the actors, as if Lucas had nothing to do with it.

I can only shake my head.

----------------

Alex Cremers

PS: Without any guidance, acting between green screens is only for the super talented, like Ian McDiarmid.

Alex, I've said it before and I will say it again, when Patrick Stewart can rise above the horrid direction and script that make up Star Trek Nemesis, then actors like the Star Wars Prequel trio can do the same, well actually they can't. There are alot of bad movies with bad direction and screenwriting where the actors still shine. The prequels are not in that list because the actors are shit.

Sith is worse than I expected. I really did think it would redeem Star Wars, and while it was getting there, there were too many glaring problems in pacing and editing (it all went by too fast) and performance (anything involving the word "no").

While surely Revenge of the Sith is the best of the Prequel Trilogy, it somewhat didn't fulfill all my expectations. It's a good movie and some moments are even inspired, but in general it could have been a helluva lot better film. So, my answer to your question is clearly "No".

I have to say that John Williams' wonderful score is surely one of the highlights of this movie, giving a lot more importance and care to Lucas' poorly written scenes. Just for that, he should build a monument to honor Johnny.

Alex, I've said it before and I will say it again, when Patrick Stewart can rise above the horrid direction and script that make up Star Trek Nemesis, then actors like the Star Wars Prequel trio can do the same, well actually they can't.  There are alot of bad movies with bad direction and screenwriting where the actors still shine.  The prequels are not in that list because the actors are shit.

Patrick Stewart, yes. Ian McDiarmid, yes. These are trained voice actors. They can even act on a stage with nothing but themselves. They are used to this kind of acting. These are great theatrical actors. They can act with their voice.

The others do not have this kind of experience but I've seen them act just fine in everything else they did. Conclusion: Lucas failed to get the best out of them.

Why do you have to be so absolute about everything? Not everybody works in the same way. They all have different methods. A good director knows this and it is his job to find a way to make the actors "deliver". If you don't like the result, well, Lucas was the one who okayed it.

BTW, by choosing Patrick Stewart, you couldn't have picked a worse example. Now how long has he been playing the same character? Do you really think someone needs to tell him how he should play Picard? LOL

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, the movie was amazing... but the cinema really pissed me off because they screwed up the sound bad and it was really distorted and hard to listen to which was really frustrating cos I'm an uber-audiophile >.<

Actuall, everyone should be answering "Yes", since those who had been busy flaming the movie before it had even been shot did indeed find it as good as they expected it to be, that is, bad.

The theatre I went to had a great surround system that was put to horrible use. I've noticed this a lot... Where the sound mainly comes from the front of the theatre, rather than around you. It's hard to hear and very treble-y

Even with reading all the spoilers and spy reports, I was cautiously optimistic going in. And after the first viewing, at least, it pretty much met up the standard I was looking for: dark, brooding, and tragic. More emotion. Perhaps a wee bit too much action that could have been used in more character driven moments.

I didn't set any high standard for it as I did with AOTC, and found ROTS to be good enough to close off the Star Wars saga.

I just came back from seeing it and I thought the movie was fantastic.

The scenes between Padme and Anakin totally work.

The Special effects are superb

The light saber duels are awsome

There is TONS of GREAT unreleased music(inexplicably some of it was cut from within c.d. cues,like Anakin's Dark Deeds and A New Hope.)

I loved the Mace vs Palpatine fight,I loved Vader's First step and his Nooooooo!,and all the scenes decribed as cheezy and embarassing by some others.Palpatine is one of the best movie villains of all time.

I had tears running down my cheeks in many scenes despite knowing about them in various spoilers,and even though I had read every spoiler report I felt 95% unspoiled seeing the film.

k.M.Who wonders what kind of downer drugs Neil and some others are on.

It was one of the best movie experiences of my life (I mean, it was one of the best times I ever had at the movies).

Anyone thinks that the Boga was pretty cool? I loved the sound it made.

It was one of the best movie experiences of my life (I mean, it was one of the best times I ever had at the movies).

Yes,me too!And the 8 people I went with also.

And AFTER THAT fact,and only after that,can I start saying this scene here dragged on a bit too long,or that line was somewhat cheezy.,or this or that could have been better.

K.M.

Yeha, I totally agree with you. But as pure visceral experience, ROTS was wodnerful for me. I just let myself go, I got totally imersed in the plot and the ambiances and guess what, I got home, and the movie and its scenes and situations lingered in my head for hours. I loved the big moment,s and there were lots of small moments that already are dear to my heart.

The movie made feel like a child again, in a good way, a feeling that I think the last time I had it was when I saw Jurassic Park when I was ten.

Anyone thinks that the Boga was pretty cool? I loved the sound it made.

Count me on that. And i have heard several people who like it too.

The best ridding experience i have ever seen in the cinema.

And of course, im a bird-dinosaur freak...

ep3_art_5534.jpg

I just saw Boga is the name of the creature. In the explanation of this art of revenge pic, the pterodactyls are called varactyls and the lizards dactillions.

Yeah, Boga is her name. In the script, she's described as a "DRAGON-LIKE LIZARD." And the work done on Obi-Wan riding her was great. It really looked seamless, unlike that crap in AotC.

Anyone thinks that the Boga was pretty cool?

It was the one thing I felt any sympathy for in the entire movie. When it fell over and landed in the water, I cared about it surviving. I didn't really care if Obi-Wan made it or not.

I loved the sound it made.

Then you should love the revised sound in the 2004 DVD edition of "A New Hope" that Ben makes to scare away the sand people.

Neil

It was the one thing I felt any sympathy for in the entire movie. When it fell over and landed in the water, I cared about it surviving. I didn't really care if Obi-Wan made it or not.

Me too! lol

I noticed that too Neil, the sound in the DVD of ANH.

Romão, who found it funny as Neil refered to the film as A new Hope

thats because thats what it is, Star Wars is lost to us.

I loved the sound it made.

Then you should love the revised sound in the 2004 DVD edition of "A New Hope" that Ben makes to scare away the sand people.

Hmm.... That's quite interesting. Pretty cool actually.

Of course, it would've been even cooler if the lizards would have made the sound Ben made in Star Wars. Once again, Lucas gets it backwards. 8O

How hopeful of you. But in my 5 years of experience in the board, Neil doesn't make typos - I think he just called it that way because he was referring to the 2004 edition, in order to differentiate from one of his favorite movies. But that's just me guessing.

Whatever, he surelly washed his mouth after saying it >mrgreen:

They are airing the DVD versions on TV, and i noticed the new obiwan scream, i came up with the idea it could be the boga sound...

Unfortunately, im also hearing the Radio dramas, and i heard that part today. Ben says it is a krayt dragon hunting call, As it should always have been...

That show is amazing, i enjoy it alot, great expanded things out there 8O

It could have been better. The biggest problem I had with it, which was inevitable, was the lack of any surprises to the audience. We all knew what was going to happen, it would have been great if a wrinkle would have been thrown in there to throw everybody off.

The editing while good in places, was horrid in others.

Vader, in the suit, I don't think should have ever uttered anything about Padme. He should have said those things with the mask coming down, screaming "NOOOOOOOO" before he was fully Vader. We never saw Vader in the originals even act like that and I think it would have been more effective if the first words from the complete Vader were as cold as forceful as those from Star Wars.

He should have said something on the bridge of the Star Destroyer to show us he was now the completely Evil Vader from Star Wars

I liked the First Steps sequence,especially the shot of Palpatine smiling in glee when he sees that his creation "works".

K.M.

It was as good as I thought it would be with Lucas behind the wheel.

But it could have been so much more...

Justin

No. Lucas had a free ticket to make an amazing movie just by the story he came up with, and he ruined far too much of it.

Lucas had a free ticket to make an amazing movie just by the story he came up with

The "amazing story" you mention has it roots entirely in Return of the Jedi. There is nothing amazing about that film.

Neil

Lucas had a free ticket to make an amazing movie just by the story he came up with

The "amazing story" you mention has it roots entirely in Return of the Jedi. There is nothing amazing about that film.

Neil

But in the end what's really important all those film after Star Wars brought us additionnal 10 hours or so of John Williams music

Unless you'd want to trade the scores of ESB,RotJ,TPM.AotC and RotS for a perfect DVD transfer of the original theatrical cut of Star Wars with the opening crawl intact with 2.0 sound mix that you can watch for the rest of all times...

K.M.

Neil

I didn't say he didn't mess up RoTJ. He certainly did. But I still see some amazing stuff in it, and in RoTS too.

Unless you'd want to trade the scores of ESB,RotJ,TPM.AotC and RotS for a perfect DVD transfer of the original theatrical cut of Star Wars with the opening crawl intact with 2.0 sound mix that you can watch for the rest of all times...

Don't tempt me.

I still see some amazing stuff in it, and in RoTS too.

You sound like Padmé and Luke saying you sense the good in Vader. There isn't any!

Neil

First I have to say that I´m a hard SW fan, I love all the films. Well I think the first trilogy is classic, but i do really like Episode I and II. I have seen Episode III five times, and my reaction and thougths of the movie have changed a lot when I have seen it again and again. I loved Episode I and II so I was thinking that Episode III would be fuckin´fantastic (i had the thougth that ROTS would be my favourite film of all time). The first time that I saw it was on wednesday in a preview here in Spain. It gave me with no words. I loved the last minutes of the film (since the duel beginns) but I didn´t love the first half. The space battle was too short, some "not good" dialogue, very fast editing (you know, a lot of short scenes anakin/palpatine, anakin/padme...).

Then the thursday I saw the film three times dressed like a Jedi and love the film more and more each time. My final tought was that the first half was really good (at the level of Episode I and II, so people that don´t like them I´m sure they don´t like this half too) but the second half (since Mace enters to arrest Palpatine to the end) was amazing (and what the fans have been expected).

And finally on friday I saw it for fifth time, and that time I realised that I absolutely love this film, till the begging to the end. Yoda, Order 66, Anakin/vader in the temple and killing the separatist, the duel, the birth of the twins/vader, the funeral scene and the Alderaan/Tatooine scenes... Yeah, it is my favourite film of all time, altougth i see SW as a saga more than six different films

So, thank you George Lucas (and thank you John Williams) for all the Star Wars films. You have made me a happier man