'Daddy-O' soundtrack "officially" released (with SFX and dialogue)

Ricard

How come we didn't know about this? A label called 'Classic Soundtrack Collector' released a 30-minute, 18-track album of John Williams' first score for a feature film on December 16, 2013, and it's available everywhere (Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, Qobuz...). Unfortunately, all the tracks include dialogue and sound effects.

Here's the link from Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daddy-O-Original-Soundtrack-John-Williams/dp/B00HRCCK0M

And one of the tracks from the label's YouTube channel:

Wow!!

I can't find it on Spotify US or Amazon US. Maybe it's only released officially in Europe?

Can't find it on iTunes US either. I did find it on iTunes EE

https://itunes.apple.com/ee/album/daddy-o-original-soundtrack/id795277945

OMG, how this skipped our attention?

Do you think it could be a bootleg?

edit: Ohhhh.. Only mp3? :(

edit 2: Ok, beware, this is a home-made BOOTLEG!!!

Someone had ripped a score + FX of Daddy-O that is around in the net, and this is the same!! (without some source cues).

The timings are IDENTICAL!!

The ripper himself says that the one that is sold is his own home-made rip.

Can't understand how are they allowed to sell these!!

I've found this some months ago, but the whole thing is so bad that I saw no point on mentioning it before. It's just as good as my own rip from the DVD.

At the time I found a few more releases by this label, all stuff with dialog and sfx, clearly taken from the DVD releases.

I've found this some months ago, but the whole thing is so bad that I saw no point on mentioning it before. It's just as good as my own rip from the DVD.

At the time I found a few more releases by this label, all stuff with dialog and sfx, clearly taken from the DVD releases.

The point is that they aren't even rips by "him" (whoever has this "company").

He took the home rips of others and sells them!

Edit: Wow! He has even taken tracks from official releases and sells them as mp3!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raintree-County-Ost-Johnny-Green/dp/B00HBO29Y8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415662534&sr=8-2&keywords=Raintree+County+%28Ost%29

I've found this some months ago, but the whole thing is so bad that I saw no point on mentioning it before.

Next time please do so! Just the fact that iTunes or Amazon are selling a JW bootleg as an "official" release is worth mentioning :)

Do not buy this "S...t" !!!!!

This guy or company is trying to make money with a "Fan bootleg" easily found on internet for free !

My bootleg for sure !

(with my exact title track listing and "bad sound quality").

Ive just did it as an archive bootleg from a Youtube file of the Full movie.

(by the way, this was not to be the perfect bootleg... ;-) )

I've made a report one year ago on amazon for this.

I've found this some months ago, but the whole thing is so bad that I saw no point on mentioning it before.

Next time please do so! Just the fact that iTunes or Amazon are selling a JW bootleg as an "official" release is worth mentioning :)

Okeley Dokeley :)

By the way, I did my own rip, from the actual DVD release some ten years ago, and I believe it had more music than the one on this release.

• 4 weeks later...

Missed seeing this before. Yeah, this is one of the two Williams "Daddy" scores (the other being Daddy's Gone A-Hunting) being passed around the net. Like the Gidget Goes to Rome one, it's clearly nothing more than an amateur DVD rip.

These are immediately identifiable by the fact that they contain dialogue and SFX. The only official releases to ever do this sort of thing feature dialogue only (who the hell wants to hear a rattling car engine on a music album?). They're advertised by legitimate labels as being designed with that in mind, and there haven't been many of those in recent years—the soundtrack release for M*A*S*H comes to mind. That one, like other real releases of this sort, plays the actual recordings of the score which they occasionally fade back a bit to feature bits of dialogue from several different scenes in the movie, kind of a montage thing. The intent is clear.

When you see something heralded as an "official" release of a score "with dialogue and SFX!" like it's some kind of great selling point, you can be pretty sure it's bogus. (Not to mention the fact that any real release of a previously unreleased Williams score from that era would be major news on the interwebs.)

Missed seeing this before. Yeah, this is one of the two Williams "Daddy" scores (the other being Daddy's Gone A-Hunting) being passed around the net. Like the Gidget Goes to Rome one, it's clearly nothing more than an amateur DVD rip.

These are immediately identifiable by the fact that they contain dialogue and SFX. The only official releases to ever do this sort of thing feature dialogue only (who the hell wants to hear a rattling car engine on a music album?). They're advertised by legitimate labels as being designed with that in mind, and there haven't been many of those in recent years—the soundtrack release for M*A*S*H comes to mind. That one, like other real releases of this sort, plays the actual recordings of the score which they occasionally fade back a bit to feature bits of dialogue from several different scenes in the movie, kind of a montage thing. The intent is clear.

When you see something heralded as an "official" release of a score "with dialogue and SFX!" like it's some kind of great selling point, you can be pretty sure it's bogus. (Not to mention the fact that any real release of a previously unreleased Williams score from that era would be major news on the interwebs.)

Johnny's own Fitzwilly is one recent example of an official release having the film stems used for the film version portion of the release that features occasional traces of dialogue track coming through but that was the only surviving source for the original tracks. And the release also offers the LP programme at the start of the album and the actual worse sounding film stem sourced film score as sort of a bonus at the end.

Exactly. They offer both, which is another good sign that it's real. And usually if they have to keep the dialogue like that, they don't try to hide it. The DVD rips usually try to mix the background stuff out as much as possible, resulting in muffled dialogue and a rotten music mix. (I've even heard some that actually straight-out lower the volume of the music when dialogue comes in, resulting in a totally uneven—meaning worthless—listening experience.)

I get the (sinking) feeling with material like this that we're not likely to ever see such a release. With all the effort in recent years to scrounge up early recordings from current big names, I have to think they've been trying to find the "Daddy" scores for a long time and have come up with nothing.

Sucks. Big time.

I get the (sinking) feeling with material like this that we're not likely to ever see such a release. With all the effort in recent years to scrounge up early recordings from current big names, I have to think they've been trying to find the "Daddy" scores for a long time and have come up with nothing.

Sucks. Big time.

There are many early Williams scores that haven't been released.

I can't believe that they haven't found anything.

They probably just don't care..

Not sure who you mean by "they." The guys who have brought us so many great unreleased scores over the past decade and more have been scouring the studio vaults for this stuff. Believe me, these guys care. If any of them came across one of the "Daddy" tapes, they would make remastering and issuing a release a top priority. One of Williams' earliest scores? Unreleased to this point? Priceless. The idea that, upon finding such a gem, they would just shrug and give it a half-hearted "meh" is ludicrous on its face.

Not sure who you mean by "they." The guys who have brought us so many great unreleased scores over the past decade and more have been scouring the studio vaults for this stuff. Believe me, these guys care. If any of them came across one of the "Daddy" tapes, they would make remastering and issuing a release a top priority. One of Williams' earliest scores? Unreleased to this point? Priceless. The idea that, upon finding such a gem, they would just shrug and give it a half-hearted "meh" is ludicrous on its face.

The label that mostly released those early "unknown" to many Williams stuff is Film Score Monthly.

And unfortunately it doesn't exist anymore..

Just look at Williams' 60s-early 70s film score releases.

There are 11-12 FSM releases, only 3 Intrada I think and 1 La-laland (Poseidon Adventure).

Well, that last one doesn't really count since it's a famous film, so our only chance for obscure vintage Wiliams seemed to be FSM.