What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It pales utterly to Lindelof at his best - that is, when supervised by someone with more of a grip on things.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Wow! How deep!

Yeah, I hate America now!  Lol!

I think you'll hate it.  If Lost to you can seem like New Age babble, I can not imagine that Mr. Robot could appear anything more than a filmed version of the collected writings of an angsty teen who's just discovered the concepts of anarchy and communism and found them very agreeable. 

Halfway through the second season of Better Call Saul and it is utterly captivating. The writing, the way the working nuts and bolts of the plot and characterisation hold up to the closest of scrutiny is simply astonishing. There are no leaks in the seams, anywhere. You just don't get that in TV all that often, so it really stands out to me when it does happen on occasion. 

6 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I really can't stand Lindelof's style, so I guess we'll see. 

You'll probably hate it Lee.

Its angsty ideas can be insufferable. I find its presentation offers some entertainment.

I meant in real life.

On the board, I don't recall if anybody here posted that they watched it not not.

I watched it. Bobby Cannavale was brilliant and sometimes the show was too, as well as being frequently hilarious; it could also be very corny, episodic and gimmicky at times. I'm sorry to see the end of it, though.

I am on episode 10. It's just fun without leaving a bigger impression but it surely is a more interesting look on pop culture than, say, 'Mad Men' that got tangled in its own mushy soap universe much too soon. 

If Mad Men is "mushy" and "soap" then I'm afraid you don't know the meaning of these two words. Even though it's about people, it's one of the least soapiest and overly sentimental shows I know. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not even Alex?

Nope but it is or was on my list.

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

If Mad Men is "mushy" and "soap" then I'm afraid you don't know the meaning of these two words. Even though it's about people, it's one of the least soapiest and overly sentimental shows I know. 

OK, call it 'uncool' if you want.

Finished season 2 of Better Call Saul (NO SPOILERS). It was excellent, mainly due to the unparalleled writing quality of the brothers' relationship, and Kim Wexler's extremely welcome expanded presence. Rhea Seehorn is just brilliant.

But overall I cannot rate part 2 as highly as part 1, because there has developed an unexpected weak link: Mike Ehrmantraut. 

His storyline (or subplot), this time completely failing to organically weave its way at all through the propulsive mechanisms of the show's main character, feels extraneous and even narratively basic when left to develop without the anchor of the Saul character to keep the drive focused and tight. I'm being completely serious when I say I've played Mike's storyline as presented here in more than a few video games over the years. It's on that level. I just didn't find his story very interesting, which more than anything is just disappointing given what I know of the man after the superb and cohesively rounded first season. 

The middle arc of Mike seems to have been difficult for Gilligan and Gould in the second season: they're under obligation to include him because of what we know but they couldn't really figure out how to keep him central to the main story so instead they were left with the situation that sees the character broken away from the main thread which effectively splits the show into two very different and awkwardly portioned halves. Awkward because the Saul versus Chuck story is so outstandingly sublime that Mike's simplistic little gangster meanwhiles cannot compete, and ends up feeling like an afterthought. 

This isn't to say I didn't enjoy my time with Mike here (it was hardly horrible), but it has for me broken the cool consistency a bit. The criminal underworld stuff just feels unnecessary at this point in Better Call Saul. Every return to Mike feels like a functional recap of where the character is up to instead of its own compelling inclusion. 

It is a pity, then. But ultimately it isn't too harmful. Because Saul's story is just soooo good. 

The lawyer world is riveting (Patrick Fabian's Hamlin is such a wonderful and pristinely turned out c*nt) and it'd be impossible to talk about Better Call Saul without paying mention to the acting marvel that has been Michael McKean, who is for me this show's pièce de résistance

Sherlock

S01E02 The Blind Banker

I always forget about this episode. It's decent, but it does trundle along at a very, very mild pace. It almost feels like a leftover script from when they were still going to do this as a series of six 45-minute episodes (which it likely was). It never becomes really dangerous or gripping. There's some nice bits in there, but it's not as good as A Study in Pink or as gripping as The Great Game that followed it, really amping up the tension. It's really the episode you kind of have to sit through to get to the next.

Yeah I think its a 45 minute ep that they stretched. The Great Game probably was too, but that one was easier to expand since its involved a series if smaller mysteries.

Its the weakest of the bunch, still perfectly watchable though because...well Freeman and Cumberbatch are in it.

Was looking for something to watch last Saturday night while my mother was visiting, so we eventually selected 'Netflix Original' (like Better Call Saul) Bloodline. 

KvUgFyO.jpg

Anyone heard of this? I'd skimmed over the odd bit of acclaim recently while site hopping online, and tbh for an impulse watch I am very pleased with myself for discovering it, because it is very good indeed. 

Dialogue heavy and visually humid in mood, the progressively seedier story of a black sheep returning home to a locally respected and popular family and the peeling back of old secrets which follows is high on characterisation and tautly engineered intrigue. It's another slow burner (the best kind of tv?) which I got into immediately after watching the pilot and with four episodes in the bag I'll be closing in on its already available second season fast. 

With a run of dramas of this quality Netflix are really and convincingly positioning themselves as the next AMC and HBO. Who saw that coming? 

A coworker of mine really likes it, but she likes everything (and seems to watch everything)

My wife and I recently watched the 1st episode of The Night Of, a new HBO miniseries that has episode 1 put up early on HBO Now/Go.

Nightcrawler made me an instant follower of Riz Ahmed's career and I am happy to report that his performance in the first episode was fantastic. Sadly, John Turturro didn't show up until the last 5 minutes or so but believe me, I will be watching the rest of this.

My wife watched that preview when we had HBO Now and loved it, and is very much looking forward to the rest of the show

Yes, I've found out just today that its already developed third season is awaiting the greenlight from Netflix while they work out the usual finance vs ratings conundrum. Fingers crossed they get the go ahead to start production in the coming days, but it is looking dicey, which is bloody annoying. 

7 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Bloodline is on my radar, and in my queue, as well.  I've read some articles that seem to always refer to it as the best show no one watches.

I call it the new Dallas.

Watching S2 of Fear The Walking Dead. Somehow I have the feeling that the 'better' writers have left The Walking Dead and that they are now working on this show. Anyone agree? 

Well TWD is following published comics while FTWD is entirely original.

I say writers but that actually goes for all the talent behind the screen: The directors, the writers, overall production. It's like today TWD is made by the secondary unit.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well TWD is following published comics while FTWD is entirely original.

Following is such a restrictive term. It's just inspired by the comics at this point. 

Fear the Walking Dead? I was going to make a start on that but was put off by the increasingly poor word of mouth as the spinoff has progressed. I'll probably stick with just the one apocalypse show for now. 

I'm sure it's already been posted but I haven't seen the trailers until today:

Netflix has a new show coming out next Friday that looks pretty good!  It stars Winona Ryder and the trailers definitely evoke Super 8, ET, and a little bit of CE3K and maybe some Stephen King

Nice for kids.

Saw the first two episodes of Z Nation. Pilot was sorta okay (mainly because of Michael 'Where's my son' Dawson) but things already deteriorate during the second episode. 

Szene-aus-Z-Nation-Harold-Perrineau-658x

Alex

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

I've been taking the Trek again. I actually took a long break (last time I watched was Voyager many months ago) and I just wasn't having any more of that shit.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

The AV Club gives the first 6 episodes a B+

http://www.avclub.com/review/netflixs-sci-fi-throwback-stranger-things-yesterda-239435

Looking forward to Friday night

Is this the obviously Spielbergian influence show I noticed on there the other day, looked a bit Super 8ish? I'll give it a go.

4 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Is this the obviously Spielbergian influence show I noticed on there the other day, looked a bit Super 8ish? I'll give it a go.

It looks like Super 8 but with the Stephen King-ish elements that were definitely in that dialed up to 11.