The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without Gollum, I doubt there would really be a Davy Jones, though.

That's true, plus Andy Serkis put alot more into his role than Bill Nighy.

Well, don't poopooh Bill Neighy.

Also, Gollum is a much, much, much more physical character than Davy Jones (certainly the Jones we saw in DMC). I didn't see Davy Jones climbing over rocks and jumping into mountain streams. It's a different sort of role.

Davy Jones was still a more technically impressive CG creature, though. It looked almost like make-up.

Am I the only one who thought that Hulk looked very realistic in certain scenes? As realistic as a green giant can get anyway.....

Yes, he looked pretty good. They cleverly also didn't show him in full light the first time, so you have some time to get used to the creature and accept him. Digital creatures are usually easier to sell in the dark then in the light, so it helps if you see it in the dark the first time. I always think that the first shot on any recurring effect is the one that makes or breaks the success of it.

Davy Jones was still a more technically impressive CG creature, though. It looked almost like make-up.

It is very impressive, but don't forget the giant leaps made on Gollum. I really don't want to take away from either creation, as both are jaw-dropping achievements.

Am I the only one who thought that Hulk looked very realistic in certain scenes? As realistic as a green giant can get anyway.....

I agree 100%. In the desert scenes in particular, the CGI was pretty much flawless.

Hopefully they will use a stunt double for Ford and not worry about CGI.

I don't think they'l use a CGI stunt double.They however will use CGI to de-age Harrison Ford

Hopefully they will use a stunt double for Ford and not worry about CGI.

I don't think they'l use a CGI stunt double.They however will use CGI to de-age Harrison Ford

Will they? Since Lucas and Spielberg have both said that Harrison's age will be worked into the script.

Part of which I'm sure will be Indy saying "I'm too old for this sh*t!" or something to that effect.

Well, he has to say shit once. Its a tradition.

No, the environment is not.

Argh! The whole shot was rendered inside a little computer thingy! Obviously the reference point was maquettes and minatures, but what you see on screen is all CGI ;)

Then why do they literally say on the DVD that the bridge element was a miniature shot by Alex Funke and his team, even go as far as showing the actual background plate?

Yes, but the digital doubles were composited into the (probably digitally enhanced) miniature shot.

Like most good effects shots, they never rely on just one technique for an effect shot in that movie.

Bah, give me good ole fashioned stop motion animation and matte painting over this new fangled CGI gobbledygook.

Kids and their technology.

tarkin.jpg

"This bickering is pointless."

My whole point in bringing up that shot from Fellowship was commenting on the realism of the movement of the characters, nothing else. Even if it was done with motion capture, it's still CG characters and the move perfectly.

If I may throw in my comment on Davy Jones (is this off topic?), they had me completely fooled. Especially since his face geometry and mimic mannerisms looked SO like Nighy, I was convinced it was (although GC enhanced) makeup.

The use of CGI on Davy Jones was turned out to be very good i thought. Even though it's fake but still it looks good on how it turned out.

Every time I think of a good example of CGI, I always think about the first appearance of the full T-Rex in Jurassic Park. Yeah, it's at night, and yeah it's raining, but it's still completely convincing.

Tim

They've slightly change the apperances of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park III especially the Raptors now have a bit of some hairs on top on their heads compared to the appearances of the dinosaurs to the previous Jurassic Park films.

Every time I think of a good example of CGI, I always think about the first appearance of the full T-Rex in Jurassic Park. Yeah, it's at night, and yeah it's raining, but it's still completely convincing.

Tim

I believe that that is not CG, actually. I seem to recall the T-Rex being Stan Winston's work.

Tim

I believe that that is not CG, actually. I seem to recall the T-Rex being Stan Winston's work.

ilm1.jpg

No, that's ILM's alright.

Basically, any time you see a full dinosaur from head to toe in Jurassic Park, it's a digital effect (with the exception of the Triceratops and the Dilophosaurus). All close-ups and most medium shots are Winston's animatronics. There's only nine or ten shots with a digital Rex in that sequence, one of them featuring both the animatronic and the digital version (there's also seperately filmed water splashes, a digital car and a digital human in that sequence).

Jar Jar hasn't dated to well. How could he? He looked like cgi back when the TPM was released. His movements are to fluid, something Peter Jackson sought to avoid when he had Gollum in mind.

I agree 100%. In the desert scenes in particular, the CGI was pretty much flawless.

I second that.

ANYWAY, i find Gollum and Yoda to be of similar quality, i think both companies developed their technologies at the same time.

I mean, i dont believe ILM couldnt have done davy kones if gollum had not been made.

If anyone, after Davy Jones, still has doubts about the future of CGI then you're either blind or just living in denial.

The CGI Yoda and Gollum are sometimes just as convincing. Even Jar Jar. But Davy Jones has to be the most consistantly succesful animated character so far achieved.

Too bad that Kraken looked like shit...

I agree whole-heartedly about Davey Jones, but I don't think that Yoda is nearly at that level. Jar Jar certainly isn't close. Gollum is almost perfect, but the illusion is broken every once in a while. Also King Kong deserves a serious mention.

I agree whole-heartedly about Davey Jones, but I don't think that Yoda is nearly at that level. Jar Jar certainly isn't close. Gollum is almost perfect, but the illusion is broken every once in a while. Also King Kong deserves a serious mention.

Indeed. Its a shame how quickly he appears to have been forgotten. In fact some of his facial expressions are literally leagues ahead of his CG predecessors.

Well, I don't feel so bad that the film was forgotten, but everything involving the character of King Kong was terrific.

I agree whole-heartedly about Davey Jones, but I don't think that Yoda is nearly at that level.

I agree. Yoda is sometimes very realistic looking, but the animation never really fools me. Gollum is better, but most of the times - especially the facially movements - scream CGI. Davy Jones on the other hand, had me looking up how they made him! Most of the times I could swear this was an actual living, breathing creature! It's an awesome effect.

I think Davy Jones was slightly lost on me because I knew his face was cgi. Amazing effects ruined by lack of immersion.

Gollum NEVER suffered from that massive problem. Obviously because the script, actors, director and cgi worked in perfect unison to create a near-seamless whole.

CGI is nothing without audience acceptance beforehand.