Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

I have no problem whatsoever with the Steven Spielberg paragraph, and I am disappointed when one cannot be found on an album ("The Lost World: Jurassic Park" being an example). But I highly doubt it was necessary to include 15 pages of pictures with random quotes from the film.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, when I said packaging earlier I just meant how neat it looked. The DVD from this set sorta eradicates the need for liner notes, but otherwise I would agree. Though I don't care as much about product info.

I got "Chorale and Shaker Dance" on iTunes, in response to my recent adoration of "Simple Gifts."

It's a staple of wind ensemble music!

PM me if you have access to a facebook account, Indy4 - I have a video on mine that may interest you if you really enjoy Simple Gifts.

Looks like I haven't posted here in a while... this is what I've accumulated since:

Definitely Maybe (Oasis)

9 (Damien Rice)

Against the Night (Jason Webley)

Only Just Beginning (Jason Webley)

The Cost of Living (Jason Webley) (these three I bought on the local Amanda Palmer concert, also got Webley's autograph on Only Just Beginning and Palmer's on her own album :lol: )

Brahms Volkslieder (Franui)

Orchestral Works (Hindemith; 3CDs; Blomstedt)

The Sea Hawk (Korngold; Gamba)

Bernstein: Symphonic Dances from West Side Story + Gerswhin + Bartok (for 2 pianos and percussion; Pekinel sisters)

Symphonies #7 & #8 (Malcolm Arnold; Penny)

Piano Concerto, Bogurodzica, Grey Mist, Kościelec (Kilar; Wit)

Adams: Violin Concerto; Waxman: Corgliano: Red Violin Chaconne; Tristan and Isolde Fantasia; Enescu/Waxman: Romanian Rhapsody #1 (Hanslip, Slatkin)

Ivanhoe (Rózsa; Broughton)

The Adventures of Don Juan (Steiner)

Species (Christopher Young)

Scaramouche (Victor Young)

Stardust (Eshkeri)

The Hallelujah Trail (Bernstein)

Acquisitions over the last weeks, including christmas and birthday presents:

Goldenthal: Golden Gate

Goldsmith: Chain Reaction

Goldsmith: The Flim-Flan Man/A Girl Named Sooner

Goldsmith: Morituri/Shire: Raid on Entebbe

Goldsmith: Stage Coach/The Loner

Rozsa: Plymouth Adventure

Schönberg/Sibelius: Violin Concerts (Hahn, Salonen)

Wagner: Lohengrin (Kempe)

Williams: How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat

Zoë Keating: one cello x 16: natoma

Looks like I haven't posted here in a while... this is what I've accumulated since:

Definitely Maybe (Oasis)

9 (Damien Rice)

Against the Night (Jason Webley)

Only Just Beginning (Jason Webley)

The Cost of Living (Jason Webley) (these three I bought on the local Amanda Palmer concert, also got Webley's autograph on Only Just Beginning and Palmer's on her own album :lol: )

Brahms Volkslieder (Franui)

Orchestral Works (Hindemith; 3CDs; Blomstedt)

The Sea Hawk (Korngold; Gamba)

Bernstein: Symphonic Dances from West Side Story + Gerswhin + Bartok (for 2 pianos and percussion; Pekinel sisters)

Symphonies #7 & #8 (Malcolm Arnold; Penny)

Piano Concerto, Bogurodzica, Grey Mist, Kościelec (Kilar; Wit)

Adams: Violin Concerto; Waxman: Corgliano: Red Violin Chaconne; Tristan and Isolde Fantasia; Enescu/Waxman: Romanian Rhapsody #1 (Hanslip, Slatkin)

Ivanhoe (Rózsa; Broughton)

The Adventures of Don Juan (Steiner)

Species (Christopher Young)

Scaramouche (Victor Young)

Stardust (Eshkeri)

The Hallelujah Trail (Bernstein)

Acquisitions over the last weeks, including christmas and birthday presents:

Goldenthal: Golden Gate

Goldsmith: Chain Reaction

Goldsmith: The Flim-Flan Man/A Girl Named Sooner

Goldsmith: Morituri/Shire: Raid on Entebbe

Goldsmith: Stage Coach/The Loner

Rozsa: Plymouth Adventure

Schönberg/Sibelius: Violin Concerts (Hahn, Salonen)

Wagner: Lohengrin (Kempe)

Williams: How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat

Zoë Keating: one cello x 16: natoma

How is that Hindemith orchestral works collection?

Orded FSM's new Rozsa release - Time After Time

Whops, I didn't mean to quote my old post.

The Hindemith set is fine, as far as I can tell. I'd had CDR copies of one or two bits on it. With all those CDs, I never got around to playing it much, so I'm only familiar with the Mathis symphony and the Weber Variations. From what I know, those are considered fine recordings by Hindemith gurus, too. :lol:

Music for a darkened theatre v.2 - a splendid Elfman collection. Not only will it make up for the several great scores of his that I don't have, but also I will finally listen to some of his less-known ones, like Black Beauty or Sommersby.

I like both Elfman compilations because they include stuff you wouldn't be able to hear normally, like cues from commercials and small projects he did.

I found an inexpensive copy of "Return to OZ" by David Shire; I'm looking forward to this, remember it to be quite nice.

Buffy- The Score (Christope Beck). It's about time a score album other than the musical was released, Beck did a great job on the show.

Is there a score album out there? I've heard that all the hilarious generic music used in South Park is from that show.

This new score album was released last year by Rounder. The complete score release for Once More, With Feeling (the musical) has a handful of Beck's cues from other eps, and I think a couple of cues were on previous songtrack releases as well. There's also an old promo made up of season 3 music, but I think all of that is on this new release.

I've never heard any of Beck's music in South Park. But there are periods in Buffy where lesser composers and even library music was used (season 1, half of season 2, seasons 5 and 6 other than The Gift and the musical), so it's possible. I know I've heard the same action cue in both Buffy and an early episode of Farscape before Guy Gross got on board.

Alfred Hitchcock: Signatures in Suspense. It has the end titles to Family Plot conducted by Johnny himself! I thought the only recording available was the Prague Phil recording. Anyway, it's a great CD.

Ghostbusters the Original Motion Picture Score.

My inner child is jumping for joy.

Congrats on the pick up! I need to get this one. Can't seem to find a good price.

I found all the important cues from the 1984 boot that I wanted online. I don't have the desire to spend $100 for something that should've cost $20-$30 in the first place. I've learned my lesson - follow the limited releases closely, so I get one before they disappear. If I hadn't have opened it, I could sell my Baby disc for three figures. Yawn.

Koray- lucky you! How did you get it free?

I just recently got back into the hobby of collecting soundtracks after a number of years. I was pretty shocked to find so many things I'd missed... Ghostbusters, Predator, Great Escape, the list goes on.

Why would Varese limit the edition size to only 3000 on such a popular score like Ghostbusters?

Gotcha. Well, in that case, mine was free too. But, call me crazy, it's much more fun for me as a collector to have the official release, along with the liner notes and all that jazz. Comes from growing up with vinyl. I'm tactile like that.

MovieMusic managed to get some copies of The Two Towers (Complete Recordings) in stock and I snagged one. Now all I gotta get is Fellowship's complete recordings. Peter said that The Two Towers will be shipped next week.

Wow. KM has nothing on you, HB!

:)

Yes, I was really shocked that it actually arrived. This order came from England, so there must have been some serious problems with customs. Not Tadlow/Silva's fault; they mailed it out right away.

I went to my local library and rented the following:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Out of Africa (McNeely Recording)

Vertigo

Best of Dorsey Brothers

Count Basie Story

Duke Ellington: Black, Brown, and Biege

Munich