• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That must have cost a lot of money!!

I haven't heard any of these yet:

Lady in the Water: 7th JNH score

Witches of Eastwick: 39th JW score

Mission: Impossible: 12th DE score

Jaws 3-D: 1st Alan Parker score

We openend presents today, so I got the Star Wars Vault, haven't heard those CDs yet either.

My parents got FOTR CR insteado f ROTK, but oh well, we just ordered ROTK.

Oh, Scissorhands is a really great score. One of Elfman's best!

You already have FOTR: CR, don't you?

Yep, I do. But it's fine, they returned FOTR and will order ROTK, and besides, it's the thought that counts!

Edward Scissorhands!

I've watched the movie for the 2nd time yesterday. Great score, but I don't think I would like to have the whole album (it's slightly too monothematic for me), the theme alone would be sufficient.

Real quick question:

With what label are William T. Stromberg and John Morgan currently associated? I have some Christmas money, and I want to spend it. I recall something recently about their re-recording Spellbound....

Neimoidian, that Kilar stuff looks great, I bet it sounds the same! :P

My two VS Club latest CDs are waiting for me at the post office, but I haven't had the time to pick them up yet, those days are incredibly busy with the last pre-new-year's-concert practice sessions with my orchestra. :( I guess I'll be picking them up on Thursday or Friday.

Edward Scissorhands!

I've watched the movie for the 2nd time yesterday. Great score, but I don't think I would like to have the whole album (it's slightly too monothematic for me), the theme alone would be sufficient.

I have it, and I love it. At first, I only liked Introduction and Ice Dance and The Grand Finale, but give it some time, I can listen to almost the entire album now (and that's rare for me).

Real quick question:

With what label are William T. Stromberg and John Morgan currently associated? I have some Christmas money, and I want to spend it. I recall something recently about their re-recording Spellbound....

The new Spellbound was recorded by Intrada not Morgan and Stromberg. They are no longer affiliated with Naxos/Marco Polo, they started their own label called Tribute Film Classics. The first two scores are Mysterious Island and Fahrenheit 451.

Neimoidian, that Kilar stuff looks great, I bet it sounds the same! :P

Oh yes, it certainly does. :( I heard some of it live this year and since then I was aching to get the recording.

Edward Scissorhands!

I have it, and I love it. At first, I only liked Introduction and Ice Dance and The Grand Finale, but give it some time, I can listen to almost the entire album now (and that's rare for me).

I did hear the album some time ago, but I didn't decide to purchase it. Although the main theme is fantastic, the album itself is far on my 'TO BUY' list.

For Christmas I got...

Mozart's Horn Concertos perfeormed by Barry Tuckwell

Berlioz Requiem (the orchestra escapes me at the moment)

The Charlie Brown Christmas piano book

Treatise on Instrumentation - Berlioz/Strauss

Each of Wagner's Ring operas in full score (MONSTER sized scores!)

The 2 CD Ben Hurr set

Rosewood

The Magnificent Seven

Neimoidian, that Kilar stuff looks great, I bet it sounds the same! :D

Oh yes, it certainly does. :( I heard some of it live this year and since then I was aching to get the recording.

At Naxos price, I should simply pick it up when I get the chance. Can't be bad. :P

Each of Wagner's Ring operas in full score (MONSTER sized scores!)

I want those. Had Rheingold borrowed from the library once, the harp appendix was... cool.

Rosewood

One of the most underrated Williams scores. Quite brilliant.

Real quick question:

The new Spellbound was recorded by Intrada not Morgan and Stromberg. They are no longer affiliated with Naxos/Marco Polo, they started their own label called Tribute Film Classics. The first two scores are Mysterious Island and Fahrenheit 451.

Thanks for the info Mark.

For Christmas I got:

The Hunt for Red October (at last)

Godzilla Complete Score (loving it)

1812 Overture/Marche Slave... conducted by Neeme Jarvi (need to listen to it--any comments?)

I always felt Poledouris's score was overrated. Yes, it's got the main titles, and the fantastic 'Nuclear Scam'. But a lot of it is rather unimpressive electronic droning.

It's the only good film of the series and the score worked. That's all that matters, I guess. Don't forget film music is functional music. Only Williams (today) can elevate film music to music that can stand alone.

I always felt Poledouris's score was overrated. Yes, it's got the main titles, and the fantastic 'Nuclear Scam'. But a lot of it is rather unimpressive electronic droning.

Only the last track or so. And then there's Red Route I!

You think so? Wow. I was actually surprised at how interesting I found Poledouris's use of electronics. Which track(s) in particular did you find to be electronic droning and/or boring crap?

I don't remember the track titles. There are only three tracks that I find to be really good. Upon seeing the movie recently, I was struck by how much (IMO) boring electronics were in it.

Stage music is functional music, too. And to an extent, ballet and opera are as well.

I don't remember the track titles. There are only three tracks that I find to be really good. Upon seeing the movie recently, I was struck by how much (IMO) boring electronics were in it.

The three best tracks already amount to more than half of the CD. The rest contains a lot of filler music, but still a nice bit here and there.

:lol:

I did. This was early on in my soundtracking days, I actually lent it out to someone. Never got it back (although, as a plus, I never saw that person again).

I do admire parts of it. 'Nuclear Scam' is one of my favroite Poledouris tracks. But I think it is a very uneven score.

I seriously recommend you give it another shot on album. I was surprised at some of the orchestrations and nuances that I never noticed because of the film's mix. And then, of course, you have "Two Wives," which was unused, but is a very nice cue. "Ancestral Aid" has some good choir material, and even the more underscore-type stuff is more interesting than true atmospheric droning. I remember not caring for the "Chopper" cue when I heard it before, but now that I heard it again on the CD, I like it much more.

Goldfinger

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Heaven. Also:

Beowulf

Images

The Piano

Ken Burns Jazz

Anything Goes (1962 Revival)

Les Miserables (Original London Cast)

Got a 3CD Cinema Classics set for Christmas. The 3rd CD is disappointingly just some not particularly good synth performances of some contemporary cues, but CDs 1 and 2 are some quite famous pieces from as early as the '20's. It's not all to my taste, but there are some real gems amongst it all.