Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

I assume you also own Big Fish? If not, that comes close to Edward Scissorhands (but still not quite as good, IMO).

I don't really like Batman, for some reason. Like you said, personal taste, but I know a lot of people here consider it among his best work. The themes nice, IMO, and there's a bit of nice music in there, but it is one of my least favorite Elfman scores.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman Returns is (IMO) his best work. I agree that his best period was the late 80's/early 90's, but he stills delivers.

I don't find them very interesting. The main theme's nice, and I like Birth of a Penguin and a couple of the other tracks, but overall, I just like his other stuff more.

I like Batman Returns more than Batman, but none of them are very high up on my list.

Same here. I used to love Danny Elfman right when I started listening to film scores, but he's been gradually moving down my list. The problem with him is: He can only compose music for a Tim Burton film. Anything else he tries to do isn't very good, especially these days. He can write a killer main titles track, which IMO are the only tracks worth listening to on his CD releases.

indy, I'm surprised you only just got hold of The Sixth Sense. I purchased it on the day of release, way back in 1999. It's a really interesting, chilling score.

There are a few motifs in it actually that I know Howard borrowed directly from Goldsmith's fantastic score to Poltergeist. I remember thinking that the first time I heard it also. You can't go wrong with The Sixth Sense. There is quite a bit of music missing on the commercial CD however.

I like Batman Returns more than Batman, but none of them are very high up on my list.

Same here. I used to love Danny Elfman right when I started listening to film scores, but he's been gradually moving down my list. The problem with him is: He can only compose music for a Tim Burton film. Anything else he tries to do isn't very good, especially these days. He can write a killer main titles track, which IMO are the only tracks worth listening to on his CD releases.

In some cases, (like Beetlejuice, the Batmans, Spider-man) I agree. But sometimes he really hits a home run. The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, Corpse Bride. . . . They're all great, for almost the entire score, IMO.

But you mention when you started listening to film score, and I am still sort of in that stage. I only have eleven Elfman scores (+ one compilation CD), and even less of HZ and JNH, so my opinions are probably going to change sometime soon.

indy, I'm surprised you only just got hold of The Sixth Sense. I purchased it on the day of release, way back in 1999. It's a really interesting, chilling score.

There are a few motifs in it actually that I know Howard borrowed directly from Goldsmith's fantastic score to Poltergeist. I remember thinking that the first time I heard it also. You can't go wrong with the Sixth Sense. There is quite a bit of music missing on the commercial CD however.

I saw the movie Poltergeist a while ago, and nothing in the score jumped out at me, so I didn't buy it. For Sixth Sense, I'm really only looking forward to that piano part in the beggining, and that string part near the end. But I'm hoping to find some other music that I didn't hear/notice/remember in the film, as I often do.

In some cases, (like Beetlejuice, the Batmans, Spider-man) I agree. But sometimes he really hits a home run. The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, Corpse Bride. . . . They're all great, for almost the entire score, IMO.

I agree with The Nightmare Before Christmas, that's my favorite score of his. Although with the latter 3 you mentioned, a main titles track is all I need to enjoy what's there.

But you mention when you started listening to film score, and I am still sort of in that stage. I only have eleven Elfman scores (+ one compilation CD), and even less of HZ and JNH, so my opinions are probably going to change sometime soon.

That's understandable. Hopefully JNH will climb that list of yours as you get to become more familiar with his work.

I'm sure he will, eventually.

I strongly urge you to listen to cues like Finale (Big Fish), The Growing Montage, Ice Dance, The Grand Finale, Remains of the Day . . . . .

I've listened to all of the scores. I just find the Main Titles or End Credits cues to be the only ones worth listening to again. The Growing Montage is a good track, but I find the Finale track too long to sit through and enjoy fully, I prefer the End Titles.

I can't tell you how many times I listened to the Remains Of The Day when I first got the CD, I guess I kinda just grew out of it and/or prefer the songs from Nightmare. I found Corpse Bride more childish and of much lesser quality than The Nightmare Before Christmas.

As for Ice Dance, I just hear it as a shorter edited version of the Main Titles. Same goes for The Grand Finale.

Corpse Bride was very nice, but a bit on the slight side. Wonderful main theme, fun orchestrations, and I quite like three of the songs. I just wish there were more of them!

Then I guess it's just a matter of opinion. Suit yourself!

It is. Everything about music is a matter of opinion. I still like Elfman enough to keep him in my Top 5 favorite composers. His Main Titles are entire scores within themselves, figuratively and literally. Most of his scores are just renditions of the main title cues, but nonetheless, they are outstanding compositions. I really enjoy his work at one point or another, especially back when I first starting listening to film music.

Wow. I am blown away by some of these comments on Elfman, particularly concerning his Batman scores. I'd say probably every track on the 89 score has at least one pretty good thing. The worst thing about it is the microediting in tracks, but what's there is excellent. "Batman to the Rescue" is a blast, "First Confrontation" is cool comic book/mobster/Batman fun, "Descent Into Mystery" is one of Elfman's finest cues ever, "Waltz to the Death" is a fun waltz, and of course, "Finale" is a classic, rousing closing cue. In fact, the whole of the climactic sequence, starting with...well, actually starting with "Charge of the Batmobile" on through, is really good. I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of "Flowers" now that I didn't before, as well. Batman Returns is also extremely enjoyable. Some of my favorites beyond "Birth of a Penguin" are "The Cemetary," "Selina Returns, Part 2," "The Fall From Grace," "Wild Ride," "The Children's Hour," and "The Final Confrontation." Not interesting? Come on.

I'm not sure what it is exactly that people don't like about Spider-Man. Some of the action music can get a bit repetitive in spots, but there's some really good material. I recommend tracking down the complete versions of both scores, but particularly the second. There's a lot of really fun unused material that didn't make it to the OST, including "Theater Montage" and "Happy Montage."

EDIT: Yes, there is certainly no doubt that Elfman is a (the?) master of Main Titles cues.

Catwoman Expanded Score 2CD, Arthur And The Invisibles, Léon (different version), Rollerball, Dungeons And Dragons, Aliens Deluxe Edition, The Land Before Time, Legends Of The Fall, The Missing, Alien 3, The Iron Giant, Atonement, Plains Trains And Automobiles, Firefly, Transformers Expanded Score, Primal Fear, Restoration, Stir Of Echoes, Spy Kids 2: The Island Of Lost Dreams.

Don't worry, there's more to come soon :(

I don't really care that much for those scores. When you've been trading as long as I've had, which I guess isn't that long but I have experience, you'll end up at a point where you trade for scores that you have no interest in.

As for Ice Dance, I just hear it as a shorter edited version of the Main Titles. Same goes for The Grand Finale.

Say what? The love theme isn't featured at all in the Main Titles.

A slight coincedence: Both the Torn Curtains arrived today (original score and rejected score).

Addison's is amazing, I love the main theme.

I'm just getting to listen to Herrmanns, nothing stupendous so far, but I'm only on track five.

Those are defenetly some of the highlights of the score, but nothing really stands out to me. It is probably my least favorite Herrmann score so far (only have four), but still, not bad. I think the original score is far superior. Oh well!

I should listen to Hereafter again, I remember liking it.

Five red X's....but the links reveal two Poledouris, one JW, and two JG. Please let us know what the early JG is like!

I hate that! For those who don't want to look up the links:

Farewell to the King

Quigley Down Under

Images

Alien 2CD

Goldsmith - The Early Years Vol. 1

Playing Quigley right now, which I didn't know at all, except for some brief excerpt from a Poledouris tribute video somewhere. Turns out to be great fun. :D

The Last Winter by Jeff Grace, limited to 500 copies.

Sharkwater by Jeff Rona. Took me forever to get this one, I ordered it from his site months ago and never received it. I sent a nasty e-mail and Jeff Rona himself replied apologizing. It arrived today, cool little hand-made CD by the Rona. I can tell that he buys his CD-R's from Staples :D Signed by him too.

I'm about to play that next.

Please let us know what the early JG is like!

Just listened to it. Most of it is a lot like the stuff on discs 4 to 6 of the Varese Box, Shock Treatment for example. Also (already) clear traces of POTA in much of the music, though not as atonal. And I very much enjoyed all the jazz stuff in the Lineup score.

Sound quality is fine, especially considering the age; no complaints there.

Speaking of sound quality, Images sounds great! There are a few slight pops and noises here and there, but nothing distracting. Hard to compare to the boot, because at least my version is mixed a bit lower than the official CD, but there seems to be more detail here, too. Very three-dimensional sound.

Now on to Alien - I saved the best for the end. :D

Just got 3 new JNH scores:

I Am Legend - brilliant, brilliant. Most of it unused in the film of course.

The Great Debaters - Background listen, with a lot of rhythmic stuff but a worthy addition.

Charlie Wilson's War - Very Southern/50's in style - not all to my taste but a good main theme.

Also:

Spiderwick Chronicles (not had time to listen yet)

Revell's Tomb Raider - a lot of mindless synth stuff, but around half the album is actually quite good.

Just got 3 new JNH scores:

I Am Legend - brilliant, brilliant. Most of it unused in the film of course.

The Great Debaters - Background listen, with a lot of rhythmic stuff but a worthy addition.

Charlie Wilson's War - Very Southern/50's in style - not all to my taste but a good main theme.

I should receive I Am Legend and The Great Debaters this Tuesday, I take it you live somewhere else which is why they're released where you are.

I love Charlie Wilson's War. My favorite track is Turning The Tide, a great piece. Refugee Camp is very good as well.

Just finished a rather large trade, don't think I should take the time to list everything I got. Basically I built up my Thomas Newman collection pretty well, got some Alan Menken, and expanded my JNH collection even more.

I didn't notice the score in Charlie Wilson all that much....except for what I presume is 'Turning the Tide'. Strange choice, melding Handel's Messiah with ethnic percussion...but it worked.

The Sixth Sense just arrived, it's my 9th JNH soundtrack. So far, it's okay. Run to the Church and Tape of Vincent seem like the highlights, but I'm also looking forward to that last, spoilerfull track.

Journey to the Center of the Earth just arrived as well, but I haven't heard it yet. I can finally do a Top 5 for Bernard Herrmann!

The Sixth Sense just arrived, it's my 9th JNH soundtrack. So far, it's okay. Run to the Church and Tape of Vincent seem like the highlights, but I'm also looking forward to that last, spoilerfull track.

De Profundis is also very good. Hope you've seen the film before, or else that last track would be a bummer of a spoiler.

Yes, I've seen it, but unfortunatly, it was spoiled to me by somebody else. I still thought it was a great movie, though, and I would rather have been spoiled for the Sixth Sense than for Unbreakable (which was a bigger "twist" in the end, IMO).

EDIT: Just heard The Canyon/Cave Glow/Mushroom Forest from Journey. The harp work there is truly magnificent. Best part of the score so far, IMO.

This is slightly off-topic, but by the time I get an answer I'll have an on topic reply coming. I am looking to purchase some scores that I am finding specifically at buysoundtrax.com. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with them? Are they pretty reliable? Thanks a bunch!

I've also never had problems with them.

I just won Bernstein's Age of Innocence, Yared's The English Patient and Jon Brion's Magnolia on Ebay, and bought Ryuchi Sakamoto's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence.