Do you ever get sick of listening to JW?

pi

Do you ever get sick of the Maestro's mx?  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I don't know about everyone else but sometimes I get sick of John Williams music (along with like every other type of music from time to time). Like right now I just cannot listen to him - since the top of the year I have listened to him alot.

Lately for film music been listening to JG and old stuff (Max S, Alf N, Dav R)

listening to the Radio more then ever - and the new Red Hot chili peppers and pearl jam albums.

Some 311, and lots of Stone Temple Pilots.

I know soon I will be back at the Williams mp3s but for now i need a break.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes, though its of a particular piece, not really John himself.

I can get tire of certain scores in the short term, but since I always listen to other composers as well as JW, he is played just about every day. When you listen to Bartok, then switch to Williams, it's like the dessert.

No I really can't say that I get sick of Williams' music. As Joe said some particular piece could be like that but never Williams and all his music.

No, but sometimes I can just not be in the mood to listen to his music. That's the handy thing about portable music players, I can listen to whatever I'm in to mood for at any given time.

No, but sometimes I can just not be in the mood to listen to his music. That's the handy thing about portable music players, I can listen to whatever I'm in to mood for at any given time.

Same here.

There should've been a 'sometimes' option too. I can't vote yes or no.

Recently, I've returned to the Superman theme in a big way, due to the upcoming sequel. Its mainly because I managed to get hold of the Prelude and main title march cue which I never had on my particular Superman album. The intro music as the boy narrates is sheer magic, possibly Williams' most on the money score opening ever.

But yeah, I've done it to death and I need a break coz I am now SICK of it! My own fault.

I've been rediscovering some JW scores recently - A.I., E.T., Ashes etc. It's not really a question of being sick of JW, more just wanting to listen to a different style/composer.

I mean yesterday, with the discovery of an expanded RotK with 55 mins unreleased material, I got into a LotR mood, and found myself listening to the CR again, despite being bored of parts of it a week ago.

There should've been a 'sometimes' option too. I can't vote yes or no.

If you sometimes get sick of listening to John Williams' music, then your answer to "Do you ever get sick of listening to John Williams' music?" has to be a clear "yes". :)

Marian - who voted "yes" (and that goes for every composer).

Well I rotate my scores so it's impossible for me to get sick of listening to any specific composer.

Every now and then, I get sick of soundtracks as a whole but never of Williams alone. I'll stop listening to film scores and focus on pop/rock, or classical for awhile. I always find myself going back to scores however. But I will never tire of Williams. Or Goldsmith.

Every now and then, I get sick of soundtracks as a whole but never of Williams alone. I'll stop listening to film scores and focus on pop/rock, or classical for awhile. I always find myself going back to scores however. But I will never tire of Williams. Or Goldsmith.

That's exactly right with me too. I'll sometimes get tired of orchestral things and decide to listen to some songs (but even then, they either have a great melody or are linked to a movie; sometimes both).

But at the end of the day, it's always a score that will give me the most satisfaction :wave:

I might not feel like listening to a particular score, but I never get to the point where I dismiss Williams' entire catalogue. Like right now, I can't bring myself to stop listening to Mahler's 2nd Symphony, but that doesn't mean I'm sick of Williams :wave:

Tim

To be honest; yes. Sometimes I just simply get sick of John Williams and film music. But if I "force" myself to listen to Star Wars, Jurassic Park or Hook then my love for the man easily returns! :wave:

Yes.

Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Hook are anathema when I am sick of Williams. It takes one of his really subtle scores to get me back. Or, I just, you know, forget about it and listen to something else. Do something else. There's no method to my listening.

Yep. I've actually been at that point the last few days. Sometimes it's just Williams, sometimes it's just scores in general. Every now and then I just have to listen to something else for a while. But then everything is just that much more enjoyable when you come back to it. :wave:

I don't know about everyone else but sometimes I get sick of John Williams music (along with like every other type of music from time to time). Like right now I just cannot listen to him - since the top of the year I have listened to him alot.  

Lately for film music been listening to JG and old stuff (Max S, Alf N, Dav R)

listening to the Radio more then ever - and the new Red Hot chili peppers and pearl jam albums.

Some 311, and lots of Stone Temple Pilots.

I know soon I will be back at the Williams mp3s but for now i need a break.

Ok thank god thats over

:wave: "Scherzo Motorcycle and Orchestra"

Certain scores? Sure. Even your favorites get old if you listen to them too much. Over the years I've had periods when I was sick of listening to Superman, or Indy, or Potter. Right now I'm in a bit of an anti-Hook funk, but I know it'll pass just like all the others.

But Williams as a whole? Never. If I get tired of my favorites, that's the time to pull out the stuff I rarely listen to, as I'm usually in the mood for discovery rather than familiarity.

I usually don't get tired of it, but I'll take a break every once in a while so I can relax my ears.

yes. i get sick of his postromantic style after listening to it for 2 hours. it's not full of enough emotion to me. its not intense enough, not enough development. not like mahler or tchaikovsky. williams is often too pretty. also half the time i think why listen to williams when i can listen to beethoven, mozart or bach? i can learn so much more from them. not that williams is a terrible composer, but he's not as talented as beethoven to me.

sometimes I grow tired of these types of polls though... ;)

so resist the urge to click on it

Hook sometimes makes me want to throw my iPod out the window, but other times make me want the whole world to hear how good it is. It has everything I love and don't like about Williams' music in that score.