Isolated Score DVDs

Vaderbait1

Are there any DVDs out there that contain an isolated score with no dialogue or effects at all? Most of them contain commentary, but I'm hoping to find some decent scores without that. Also, I guess I better state that the DVD should be Region 1.

I got all excited because people were talking about Glory having an isolated score track, but then I heard it only exists on the Region 2 version. Then I saw that someone had done something with Star Trek II, but that contains commentary on that isolated score. I'm not sure how much of it is commentary, but I'm sure it's quite a bit.

So are there any Region 1 DVDs out there that contain an isolated score track that doesn't contain a lot of commentary?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek II doesn't have an isolated score for the DVD...

There hasn't been a complete release for that score at all...well there has been in bootleg form but it has sfx and dialogue echos all over the place.

Edit: By the way for a list of current isolated scores for DVD's go here. http://soundtrack.net/dvd/

There are loads of DVDs with music-only tracks! :D

Alien (Goldsmith), Beetle Juice (Elfman), Bicentennial Man (Horner), Black Hawk Down (Zimmer), The Bridge on the River Kwai (Arnold), Contact (Silvestri), L.A. Confidential (Goldsmith), Mars Attacks! (Elfman), North By Northwest (Herrmann), Superman - The Movie (Williams), The Cell (Shore), Tomorrow Never Dies (Arnold), to name just a few...

Are you sure those are music-only, Rob? I heard that some of those weren't. Well, I guess the best I can do is just go ahead and see, eh?

Is the Rhino 2 Disc of Superman complete, or would it be worth it to use the DVD instead?

Alien (Goldsmith)

Only the old release, mind you. Same goes for The Mummy (which I don't have).

Contact (Silvestri)

Isn't this only on the R2?

North By Northwest (Herrmann)

And with better sound than the CD.

To add:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold)
  • Rudy (Goldsmith) (I believe this has no commentary or anything, but I haven't listened yet)
  • Starship Troopers (Poledouris) (with commentary, though I haven't listened yet)
  • The Matrix (Davis) (with commentary between the cues, at two or three times it slightly overlaps with the music)

The iso score on Superman contains all the edits made for the film, so there's a ton of music that's on the complete Rhino set that isn't on the iso score. The iso score has much, much better sound quality though.

Contact is region 2 only. Most review sites/scores don't list it, and the packaging doesn't either, but believe me, it's there.

My R1 list is:

A Bug's Life (2.0, but no commentary)

The Matrix

The Family Man (Elfman talks over quite a bit of music unfortunately, and leaves long gaps)

Dante's Peak (the CD content is on a 2nd track during the 'Making of')

R2:

Contact

I, Robot (with commentary, but only talks over very start & end of cues and the odd quieter one)

Erin Brockovich (rather pointless as there's less than 30 minutes of score in the movie, but nice to have)

[*]Starship Troopers (Poledouris) (with commentary, though I haven't listened yet)

Starship Troopers is like The Matrix's DVD iso score unfortunately. There are some cues which Poledouris' voice is at the begining and end of some of them.

I have the full score for Starship Troopers, which actually has some music that the iso score never had and all the cues have clean beginings and endings.

That's the same with The Matrix, as there's a perfect quality promo around, indeed for the entire trilogy.

I respect Davis and apparently Poledouris for at least stopping when the music comes on and not interrupting in the middle of a cue (as Beltrami occasionally does on I, Robot, as he introduces every single cue by its reel name and doesn't consider some quieter cues to be worthy of isolation).

In fact, on Goldsmith's commentary for Hollow Man, the editor has clearly made an effort to stop his talking just before and after each cue, giving clean intros/outros, and only once in the entire thing does he overlap a slow fading cue for a few seconds. Either that or Goldsmith has impeccable timing :D

Oh, and despite the commentary, it's in 5.1 too, making a complete score incredibly easy.

Either that or Goldsmith has impeccable timing :wave:

That he had, without a doubt. :P

Marian - who totally forgot about the Hollow Man commentary and never listened to it.

:D Basic Instinct (Jerry Goldsmith)

One thing I don't understand....if the studios can afford to put isolated scores on DVD's and sometimes with commentary, why in the hell can't they do a legit release of the full scores...?

I've always been bugged by that.

And we don't need one if the DVD has an iso. I think the studios know that, and I think forms part of the reason we don't have more iso's.

I've always been bugged by the apparently random selection of DVDs to put iso's on, but that's a whole different discussion.

And we don't need one if the DVD has an iso. I think the studios know that, and I think forms part of the reason we don't have more iso's.

Probably, but I disagree with the reason. I prefer CDs to iso scores with pauses, chopped-up tracks and Dolby-compressed audio which can't be navigated on a track level. And I don't have the time to rip all my isos and make nice CDs out of them.

The Rudy Deluxe Edition is quite exemplary in this regard: It has an iso score AND the CD packaged along with the DVD. :D

I prefer CDs to iso scores with pauses, chopped-up tracks and Dolby-compressed audio which can't be navigated on a track level.

Indeed same here! I perfer a physical CD release for scores over iso scores which are on CD-R any day.

What is with all this "Region 2 only" crap? Maybe the heading for this topic should of read "Isolated Scores By Regions" and asking members to list the movies by their regions because what may have an isolated score in one Region may also be isolated in another.

These DVD's have isolated scores in REGION 4 that I know of (we do have isolated scores too you know!!!)

A Bug's Life

Contact

Mars Attacks

Beetlejuice

Corpse Bride

The Last Of The Mohicans

Alien (20th Anniversary Edition)

Inspector Gadget 2

Witches of Eastwick

Patton (Special Edition)

Hollowman

LA Confidential

Bridge On The River Kwai

Superman The Movie

There are others that also have scores with over running commentary as well but don't know any of these ones.

What is with all this "Region 2 only" crap?  

--------

Inspector Gadget 2

As I keep saying, the majority of the time it's 'Region 1 only crap'. Out of probably 100-130 isolated scores out there, only about 10 or so are R2 only. Most are R1, and some are all regions.

And I'd forgotten they had even made IG:2. Don't understand why only R4 gets the iso either. It can't be budgetary reasons and surely it would sell more to people like us as it blatantly wouldn't get a score CD.

What is with all this "Region 2 only" crap?  

--------

Inspector Gadget 2

As I keep saying, the majority of the time it's 'Region 1 only crap'. Out of probably 100-130 isolated scores out there, only about 10 or so are R2 only. Most are R1, and some are all regions.

And I'd forgotten they had even made IG:2. Don't understand why only R4 gets the iso either. It can't be budgetary reasons and surely it would sell more to people like us as it blatantly wouldn't get a score CD.

Yeah, I don't know why we we're so lucky in getting this one either!

Is that on the DVD? :) I thought that was only laserdisc...

Oh well, another DVD to add to my "to-buy" list. :cry:

Alien (Goldsmith)

Only the old release, mind you.

That's the one I have. Do you know if the newer release has the same transfer?

Anyone know?

Is that on the DVD? 8O I thought that was only laserdisc...

Oh well, another DVD to add to my "to-buy" list. :cry:

Alien (Goldsmith)

Only the old release, mind you.

That's the one I have. Do you know if the newer release has the same transfer?

Anyone know?

Check this website out

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/alien.htm

R2 Final Fantasy - Spirit Within 2 Disc edition has isolated score with Goldenthals commentory. (It was the only reason why bought that film 8O )

I've seen that and unfortunately Goldenthal talks over a lot of the music. The opening cue is easier to hear in the normal track for example.

Oh, and I would change your avatar if I were you Sephiroth - JWFangirl1992 got there first.

For Williams:

Superman: The Movie

Witches of Eastwick

1941 (Original deluxe version DVD - does anybody know if the discount bin edition has it?)

Am I missing any more? I wish that there were more. Especaially those that we have nothing at all.

I don't think any current version of Witches of Eastwick has it.

Unless of course it's one of those where almost no PR material or outside packaging mentions it, of which I have 3.

My Eastwick has it, and I got it off ebay a few years back I believe. Mine had the cheap carboard package (I prefer the plastic ones to match the rest and not scuff as easily). Any news on whether the newer discount-bin version of 1941 has it? Mine has it, but it was the expensive earlier version a few years back.

I believe the most recent example of a DVD with iso score is Corpse Bride with elfman's music on a separate track. Not sure which region this is though.

My Eastwick has it, and I got it off ebay a few years back I believe. Mine had the cheap carboard package (I prefer the plastic ones to match the rest and not scuff as easily). Any news on whether the newer discount-bin version of 1941 has it? Mine has it, but it was the expensive earlier version a few years back.

As far as I know it's the same DVD. I still have the laserdisc boxed set.

Occasionally when I go to Walmart I see it for $7.44. I keep meaning to pick it up.

I'd take an iso score of an important score any day.I'd gladly edit my complete ToD or HPPS from an iso score,even if it takes time.

But I must admit I'm lazy when it's not a high priority score(I have the Alien DVD with iso score but haven't bothered to rip the score.)

Sony recently told me that there are no plans for any kind of special edition release for Hook in the near future.

What do you mean they told you? Do you work for them or something?

Sony recently told me that there are no plans for any kind of special edition release for Hook in the near future.

Well that really sucks. It's to bad to since I bet it would sell like hot-cakes and Sony would make a lot of money from it.