JW's Next Projects

Vaderbait1

So, according to the ever-reliable and always-correct IMDB, Williams' next projects are the following:

Lincoln (2008)

Indy 4 (2008)

JP 4 (2008)

Interstellar

Now, I guess Indy is a given. I'd be surprised if he jumped back onto the Jurassic Park bandwagon after not scoring JP3, but I guess if Spielberg is directing. As for Interstellar, I've got to say: Wow. I can't believe a movie with that premise even needs a score. Sounds like a documentary which really doesn't need a Williams-style score.

Have any of these actually been confirmed? Last I heard we were still in the dark as to whether Williams even plans to score ever again. I'd love to hear his score for Lincoln, though. I look forward to that movie more than any other and I really hope if he does it, he doesn't do subtle underscore like Saving Private Ryan. Give me a beautiful theme for the Union, Lincoln, and a Confederate theme to play whenever a Confederate threat or John Wilkes Boothe is around.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather see him go out with an amazing original piece, not tied to any previous movie or score, and preferably one that would get him that long overdue 6th Academy Award.

I'd rather see him go out with an amazing original piece, not tied to any previous movie or score, and preferably one that would get him that long overdue 6th Academy Award.

Hmm, he could write something great and win a ton of awards for Lincoln, I bet...

Nevertheless, I still think it would be nice if he could win one more, instead of losing to some minimalist repetitive sparse score by some minority composer.

Hopefully John! If there is one movie in 2006 that he is likeliest to score, that is it. I'm still holding hope.

Ted

Spielberg is producing, not just executive producing. Spielberg produces very few movies that he doesn't direct. The only example that comes to my mind is Geisha, and that was scored by Williams. Eastwood did direct the Eiger Sanction.

One possible negative here is that lately, Eastwood has been scoring his own pictures. If he chooses not to, it's Johnny all the way.

Ted

Exactly.  They don't really matter, but it'd still be cool if he went out being recognized.

I don't think he needs another Oscar for that to happen. He is the most universally recognised and admired film composer alive today. He's practically a household name, and whether they realise it or not most people will recognise a dozen of his themes.

Oscar schmoscar. :baaa: (this is where we need an animated emoticon blowing a raspberry.)

I went to the website for FOOF and they dont have a composer listed yet. Could it be possible for Williams? Hey anything could happen!!!!

I don't care what it is. I want a new Williams score this year. He should listen to me or I get really angry :baaa:

you know that JW will score Interstellar as long as Stephen Spielberg is directing.

Who cares about Academy Awards? Honestly, they don't mean that much.

Ted

I agree, who cares. It should be the last thing in Williams' mind when choosing his next project.

I'd like to hear John Williams do Harry Potter 6 or 7, but I know I'm dreaming...Well there lived a composer named Leo Ornstein that lived to be 109 years old and composed music into his late 90's. You can read about him here:

http://www.otherminds.org/shtml/Ornstein.shtml

So if John Williams is 74, then I hope he's got at least another 30 years in him.

So, according to the ever-reliable and always-correct IMDB, Williams' next projects are the following:

JP 4 (2008)

At this stage he is not doing the score for JP 4 (2008) but instead his themes will be use. I doubt for the fact for a possibility he will back for Jurassic Park 4 unless further notices of "promising news" (if it happens) claiming that he will be back to do the score on the internet as it closer to post production.

I really can't picture him doing JP4. Even though Spielberg is attached, Williams has yet to return to a franchise he abandoned (Superman, Harry Potter)

I went to the website for FOOF and they dont have a composer listed yet. Could it be possible for Williams? Hey anything could happen!!!!

The film will be out in mid-October, so it's very unlikely that Williams is scoring... unless he starts recording in a few weeks.

The interesting thing about Flags of Our Fathers is that, just right after he finished shooting, Eastwood has shot another movie telling the same story, but from the Japanese point of view. The film will be titled Red Sun, Black Sand and will be out in December.

It's very odd that Eastwood is not (yet) attached as composer: out of all the other established credits for cast and crew, only this detail remains unknown. Why? Perhaps there indeed is some other composer in the process of signing a deal (taking a while because of a two-film contract?*) or actually writing the score as we speak, linking up with Williams' supposed "activities" in London?

The unlikely alternative is Eastwood spotting the music with pre-existing (Classical?) music, à la Kubrick.

Lennie Niehaus has either scored or arranged the music to Eastwood's films since the late 70's if I'm not mistaken so I would expect there is a good chance that relationship will continue.

Indeed it would, but I don't think we need to worry. He has expressed very clearly that he has no intention of retiring, and he seems to be in good health, so I think we have every reason to expect more music from maestro Williams in the not so distant future.

Is there really a chance that John Williams may retire??

That would be awful.

Why would that be so awful?

The man has worked hard all his life, and certainly left a large legacy for his fans to enjoy.

If John Williams wants to move to the south of France and life the good life, let him....

Is there really a chance that John Williams may retire??

That would be awful.

Why would that be so awful?

The man has worked hard all his life, and certainly left a large legacy for his fans to enjoy.

If John Williams wants to move to the south of France and life the good life, let him....

Yes its nice for him, but not nice when he running through the streets with an angry mob behind him...or just me.

I know for a fact that John Williams is currently working on a score.

For which movie (or project), I do not know. I just know he is (and believe me, my sources are *very* accurate).

Gives me hope we'll see a movie with his music sooner than 2008.

Hellgi

Here we go again, a newbie claiming to be on the know, without giving further explanation or revealing his sources, so we can scrutinize his credibility.

You need to be called Ocelot, Indysolo or Elvisjones to get away with something like that as far as I'm concerned.

The number of posts under my name does not mean I'm a newbie. I've been reading JWFan.net for the past 5 years. I even wrote an article for this damn website in 2002.

Thanks for your assumption though.

Hellgi

I can't because I'm not trying to make it seems like I know more than I do.

I just know he turned down a movie offer because he was already working on something. As I said, I don't know *what* or *when* it will be released. Hell, I'm not even sure it's a movie! I just *know* he is working on something, and there's no way it could be for a movie coming out only in 2008.

Hellgi

I even wrote an article for this damn website in 2002.  

Thanks for your assumption though.

Hellgi

Ok what article did you write, I'd love to read it.

Call my cynical, but the Internet is a dumping ground of people who claim to have inside knowledge. So it's hardly unreasonable to ask a person who claims to have info to clarify himself.

Ask Ricard, he'll let you know if he has the time to waste.

Dude, I don't expect you to believe anything I say. Let's just say I work for someone who happens to have the same representing agency than John Williams'.

Enough said. That topic is not about me but about John Williams.

Take care,

Hellgi

It is amazing to see unexpected posters just come out of know where and to tell us some breaking news about John Williams working on such and such a thing that the rest of us never heard about.

I think you are full of shit, hellgi!

You talk a big game, but wheres the proof?

hellgi! everyone isn't going to believe your story until there is actual evidence that this story of yours is true. Me and the rest of us here are more likely are taking your story as a complete *FAKE* rumor as already seems to be establish.

I am not believing it until there proof or evidential.