Hans Zimmer a Worthy Successor to Williams?

Alejandro

One of my friends suggested that Hans Zimmer would be tapped by Spielberg to succeed Williams as his composer-of-choice if Williams ever retires, since Zimmer was supposedly picked by Spielberg to head the music department at the no-longer-indie Dreamworks.

I laughed it off, then got really scared when I actually started to think it might be a possibility.

MySpace Film Music Group:

http://groups.myspace.com/filmmusiccentral

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd place my bets on Giacchino, should Spielberg indeed choose to work with a single composer once the unthinkable happens.

On a second note, I'd be really curious how far Spielberg would push Zimmer creatively, since he's no "give me the usual badass stuff!" person like Bruckheimer. Once in a while Zimmer can do wonders if he's really inspired to do something new.

I doubt Speilberg would tolerate someone he has to "baby" through the composition process. He doesn't seem to be the type who would work that way. Far more likely is that he'll take some John Williams DNA and create Maestro Park on an island off the coast of Costa Rica. I can just imagine Sam Neil saying "They're conducting in herds. They DO conduct in herds!"

Zimmer working with Spielberg is indeed a depressing thought. That said, I think it would be interesting to see how well any composer works with Spielberg.

I think Spielberg will use different composers for a while.

Giacchino is good, but he really needs to work on melody. I was listening to a Giacchino playlist on my mp3 player, and it had MI3 and Metal of Honor in the playlist in random order ... I couldn't tell them apart.

Steven Spielberg admires the skill and art of film composing .... I think James Newton Howard or, in a few years, perhaps John Powell would be solid choices.

Zimmer working with Spielberg is indeed a depressing thought. That said, I think it would be interesting to see how well any composer works with Spielberg.

Read the liner notes for Poltergeist.

Goldsmith seemed to enjoy working with him.

I would have preferred Goldsmith succeed Williams, if he was willing, and if he was still with us. His work on Twilight Zone, Poltergeist, along with Gremlins (all Spielberg/Amblin films I believe) were outstanding.

With all the synths that he use...

Would you think Spielberg would pick a MV composer?????

Jokingly, I think Hans Zimmer must have dirt on the filmmakers in Hollywood. I've listened to numerous scores by him over the past few weeks, from Radio Flyer, to Power of One, to League of Their Own.

I just don't get it.

And, headlines like ...

Zimmer replaces Horner on Da Vinci

Zimmer chosen over Clausen for Simpsons

"Zimmer" replaces Alan Silvestri on Pirates and then

Zimmer replaces Klaus on Pirates 2

Zimmer replaces Silvestri on The Ring

Just ... interesting...

FYI Klaus Badelt never intended to score Pirates 2. In an interview, he said he wouldn't want to ever score a sequel to a movie he'd already scored. Bad news for those of you hoping for a Catwoman 2 ;)

The day Spielberg picks Zimmer as his composer will mark the day I'll never watch another Spielberg film.

Ditto. Maybe Spielberg will pick a total nobody composer and see what he can do.

i am the biggest zimmer supporter here and no way. I also imagine Michael Gia - they have worked together before.

No living composer can live up to his legacy, so pretty much all potential choices can be deemed laughable.

The best way would be not to expect another John Williams

Back to the original thread...

All the worthy ones have died...the last one in June of 2004. :cry:

If John Williams goes, we will be saying goodbye to a chapter in film music that words will never do justice for.

I think that if there is going to be necessity to replace JW, SS will be picking different composers for different movies. I belive he is not going to for such a strong and long-lasting relationship once again. As I like many Zimmer's compositions, I wouldn't mind his music in one or two Spielberg's film (only when would JW be 'unavaiable').

- http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=747

- Dan Goldwasser (Soundtrack.Net):

"Who knows why GSA does the things they do. They removed THE SIMPSONS movie from Zimmer's PDF (http://gsamusic.com/composers.html), but he is still writing the score for it."

- http://imdb.com/name/nm1668014/

(OK, it's just the IMDB but who should add him just for fun?)

I find it hard to believe that Spielberg is fan of Hans Zimmer considering the fact that every spielberg films is musically scored by John Williams. If spielberg actually like Hans Zimmer as a fan that why does use Hans Zimmer other then always using John Williams for every movies that he makes?

I seem to remember there was also a statement issued by Zimmer's agent at some point that debunked the rumor.

And I hardly ever take anything the IMDB credits on upcoming films seriously.

Also, I could only find two articles on The Simpsons at hans-zimmer.com. One says he's working on it (along with Dave Stewart), and then there's one from the next day saying he's off the project again. :?

- Marc, who sees absolutely no reason why anybody other than Alf Clausen should do the music for this. :D

No one will be the sucessor of JW.People like JW only come only every other century.We are just lucky to be living in the same age as he is.

k.M.

As there are no worthy successors to Williams, and not a lot of really high quality composers left in Hollywood at all, I imagine Spielberg might pick composers on a single-project basis for a while. I would of course much prefer that Spielberg cease to direct when Williams is no longer around to score his films. The Spielberg-Williams symbiosis is one of the most beautiful things in cinematic history.

No-one can replace John Williams, but someone will. Is Spielberg really saying that if Williams dropped dead tomorrow, he'd cancel Lincoln, Indy 4, and all his other in-developement projects? I think not.

If Spielberg continues to make films after Williams dies, IMO he should use Elliot Goldenthal. Failing that, maybe David or Thomas Newman. I'd like to hear a Spielberg/Elfman score, but somehow I can't see that happening.

I think Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard and possibly Michael Giacchino will all work depending on the project.

Jerry Goldsmith, as I said, would have been the ideal choice. :cry: