There's still a lot of good stuff left to come, but the question is what makes film 2, and what makes film 3? And how was it originally planned with only two films? Did PJ REALLY have the attack on Dol Goldur, the Necromancer's exile to Mordor, Smaug's attack on Laketown, and the BO5A all in the second movie? I think that was probably the catalyst for converting to a trilogy, so there was more breathing space.

I'm guessing Smaug's big attack on Laketown will intercut with the attack on Dol Goldur at the end of film #2, and film #3 will be padded out with appendices stuff (which is being shot this June) and also BO5A, which will likely be souped up to give Pellenor a run for its money.

But our fan edits will not!

I honestly can't see a very successful fan edit of this first film. All these plot threads are mushed together too much. It'd be a rather convoluted mess to unravel.

You should have more faith in Chaac and I!

I'd resort to a two film plan.

I'm not sure about that yet. I'll wait for the EEs of the first two films before making such a decisive decision!

I'm not sure about that yet. I'll wait for the EEs of the first two films before making such a decisive decision!

At that point it will only be more obvious ;) Specially if you're idea is taking out the White Council/Dol Guldur storyline.

For example, you said going from Sting to Rivendell would be too fast, but not if the pace of the film is packed with events one after another from the Shire to the Barrels. If you start taking lots of things out and maintain three films you'll end up with very little content. You'd reach the end of the first film and wonder why it doesn't just continue, they only reached the other side of the mountains after three of four adventures and that's it! Making it in three would rob this kind of story a bit of its coolnes, where the episodes would be given to viewer with a water dropper.

Another reason I'd cut it in two films is because in three, I wouldn't know how to end it. I don't like the actual ending of the film and I would get rid of that scene.

Shit. I hope film two has a scene with the Company and the Eagles at the beginning :crymore:

I think the EE for AUJ will be more about complete scenes that were cut out, rather than (as with the LOTR EE's) lots of subtle dialogue additions across the whole movie. Almost every individual "scene" that was left in the final cut of AUJ felt like it contained superfluous dialogue that contributed little to the forward momentum of the plot. Once you notice it, it's hard to unnotice it. What we know will be in the EE so far is the market scene in Hobbiton, and Bilbo seeing the shards of Narsil in Rivendell.

And as for film 3, it must be obvious by now that PJ is going on his own tangent with this trilogy, adding in subplots all over the place that weren't in the novel. There's been persistent rumours that the Necromancer would play a role at the BO5A, and Cumberbatch's credit for film #3 might give credence to that rumour. Likely the White Council banishes him from Dol Goldur in the next film, but he returns in full physical form in film #3 (before heading to Mordor)? I think we can all safely assume Smaug's death will be the climax of film #2, because it won't feel right having that at the start of film #3. And they'll just pad out the first hour of film #3 with build-up to BO5A, which will probably go on for an hour or so, leaving the final half hour of the film to wrap things up back in Hobbiton.

At that point it will only be more obvious ;) Specially if you're idea is taking out the White Council/Dol Guldur storyline.

I doubt the additions will only concern the White Council storyline. You still have the young(er) Bilbo scene, some scenes with Bilbo wandering in Rivendell (I'm sure I'll keep these ones), and some other stuff concerning the main quest. Even if I take all the Dol Guldûr and Azog stuff, I think my edit of the EE will be around 2 hours and 30 minutes long. It will be hard to make a 3H30 edit ending with the barrels (especially since Film 2 will have an EE).

I'll see. I think my concept was more drastic than yours.

If the BO5A is anything like the Battle of Azunalbizar or ends up being another huge CGI fest a la Goblintown, then it won't hold a candle to the scope and awegasmic (2012 © BloodBoal. All Rights Reserved) power of Pelennor.

awesgasmic (this ones for you BB!)

It's "awegasmic". And you forgot the legal mentions: 2012 © BloodBoal. All Rights Reserved.

Typo, and the latter slipped my mind. Post has been duly fixed.

I love both battles to death, but I'm a Pelennor man.

Bah.

Theoden has balls, but clearly he never played Rome: Total War.

lol

In all seriousness, I prefer the emotional charge of the Rohirrim attack over Gandalf

In all seriousness, the emotional charge of that scene beats Gandalf's rescue to a pulp.

It used to be like that for me, but it doesn't happen anymore. The ending of Helm's Deep feels much more epic now.

It actually manages to make the sheer stoopidnes of charging with cavalry downhill... with such a slope... and against as well armed heavy infantry with pikes, look cool. Maybe it's that beautiful voice on the score when they start riding down. It makes me think on something hyperbolic to be found in some old epic poem or something. In ROTK, it just feels stupid.

There's always that typical LOTR, crappy looking shot like the shot of Gandalf with Éomer, though, and other stuff.

Besides, it's not only just the ending, it's everything else. The lead up to the battle, the atmosphere, the setting and the early development of the assault kicks the crap out of the third film.

Bonus points for the dialogue before and after the tracked Nature theme. Bonus points for Gimli blowing the horn and Aragorn's gesture synced with the music. Bonus points for...

I used the wrong word. It's not so much stupid as... artificial. It's so overblown it doesn't feel like watching a battle, much less a battle where the stakes are high.

The charge of the Rohirrim was really stupid, if you think about it. I mean, why don't they just retreat to the city, so that can use the catapults and other stuff like that to kick the Mûmakil's ass? They achieve absolutely nothing by charging on them. They only manage to get crushed.

Normally they wouldn't be able to charge on them that way. Horses are scared of elephants, now imagine a giant elephant...

Right. Because their actual arrival, Theoden's speech and the following charge [of the light brigade] is my all time favourite movie moment ever, as it happens.

This was what I was referring to. It's such an epic moment in the trilogy.

In #10, they say eagles will fight vampire bats at the BO5A. Is that from the book? (I haven't gotten that far yet in my re-read)

I can't wait for the first trailer for Film 2.

I remember back in like March of 2002, they re-released FOTR to theaters and it included a 4 minute preview of TTT in between the last shot of the film and the start of the end credits. It was awesome.