The thing is, Jackson historically adds to the run times of successive sequels, which would suggest brazen excess here when one considers the panning he's had for going overboard with part one. Surely after this reaction he has to make a concerted effort with his writers and editor to enable himself to reign his pacing extravagances in a LOT. Lord of the Rings got progressively longer; does he really believe audiences want another three hour middle section and an even longer finale? If he ends up delivering just that he's surely quite deluded.

It's not about the length. LOTR had material for that and more. The Hobbit might end up as a very weird super-long fanfic. What's more, it will be odd that the sequel story that did have the scope for what PJ is fixed on doing didn't receive near as much attention to detail.

It's also a bit much of us to ask of my mother-in-law to babysit our 23 month old and our newborn for what will effectively be four hours, Chaac.

But yes, the evidence so far does point to my foolishness in expecting Jackson not to King Kong all over these movies. Then again, it's still early days and he does still have plenty of time to remember what tight editing means as far as the sequels are concerned. Although that seems a knife in the dark at best.

Who the hell is she talking about? Goldberry? Can't think of another LotR character now.

So there goes the hope that her presence is limited to Mirkwood and Desolation of Smaug. Looks like they took the bad ideas they wisely discarded for LotR, namely having Arwen fight at Helm's Deep and having Sauron appear at the Black Gate, and adapted them for the Hobbit.

So there goes the hope that her presence is limited to Mirkwood and Desolation of Smaug. Looks like they took the bad ideas they wisely discarded for LotR, namely having Arwen fight at Helm's Deep and having Sauron appear at the Black Gate, and adapted them for the Hobbit.

Oh boy, I think this might be it...

Of course!

If Legolas goes to Dale, so will Tauriel. She will be part of the elf army arriving at the scene in film 3, to be reunited with her beloved Legolas, and side by side, not to mention together with dwarves riding boars, they will fight!

:stir:

Oh boy, I think this might be it...

Plus they need padding to make for three films.

The writers said that she "had to be an elf." Tauriel is the substitute for the warrior Arwen that PJ couldn't quite get for LOTR. I bet that in the 90's, when their idea was to make an original film in the style of LOTR, we would have had a hot warrior female elf in it, the fixed idea of PJ, Walsh and Boyens.

Who the fuck were the women with these weird dresses?

At the midnight showing there were several people dressed as Elves etc. Even one as an Easterling.

Best one was a guy dressed up as Gandalf, he wasn't allowed to bring his staff into the cinema.

Who the fuck were the women with these weird dresses?

At the midnight showing there were several people dressed as Elves etc. Even one as an Easterling.

Best one was a guy dressed up as Gandalf, he wasn't allowed to bring his staff into the cinema.

They would deprive an old man of his staff and support? How cruel!

Well I won't have wi-fi access from now till the film (as I'm off to play in a concert right now).

I'll be seeing the film in little over 3 hours!

Wish me luck! From what I've heard, I'll need it....

It's that or dubbed. In my local cinema the version with subtitles has a discount for some reason (I think because less people go see that one). They don't show films here in their original language without subtitles unless the film is in Spanish. People aren't normally expected to know foreign languages.

Here's a 16 minute Q&A with Peter Jackson interviewed by Harry Knowles. I haven't watched it all yet, but apparently he discusses the Extended Edition of FIlm 1 as well as some things about Film 2

I'd actually like to see a cut down special edition. Remove the stone trolls.

What? Not only is the troll scene an iconic scene from the story, but the stone trolls are SHOWN in FOTR!

Oh, the stone Giants! Yup, I agree that scene was among the most pointless in the film.

Watched some of the video... he say they are doing 10-12 weeks of shooting in June-July, which they haven't written said. Said its mostly Film 3 things, but some Film 2 stuff as well.

Oh, the stone Giants! Yup, I agree that scene was among the most pointless in the film.

It's a great score cue, though. ;)

I don't mind them inserting those sequences as long as Shore gets to write music to it.

Karol