Maybe he will be a bastard.

Bolg...Snow! ;)

Tehehehee. A GoT joke in a Tolkien thread. So dirty.

Neither Bolg or Azog are described in any detail in Tolkien's works. PJ and Co probably just preferred the name Azog so used that. It doesn't actually matter.

I doubt it's just about the name. They probably want to throw in some stupid scenes dealing with necromancy/resurrection in the next two films. If Azog is tied to that whole thing as much as I think he will be, it's definitely an example of over-complicating things. Personally, I'll find it kind of funny if they switch Bolg into a last minute CGI character too.

Since only Azog's name has any significance they might just as well left those orc grunts unnamed. Fimbul sounds a tad too Norse to be an orc name anyway. But I guess they had to have some names for the merchandise.

Fimbul sounds a tad too Norse to be an orc name anyway.

Who knows? Maybe there'll be an Orc called Mikko in the sequel.

Although that would be fantastic homage to me myself and I, the origin of the name is Hebrew deriving from Mikael.

What the fuck do I care? Thanks for ruining the joke, bro!

Any time, bro. I am always here for you BB, ready to help any way I can. Incanus at your service and your family's.

I'm not your bro!

Ouch that hurt BB. What has been up with you lately? All snipey and bad tempered.

Azog is from Tolkien, the other two are made up

Fimbul is derived from Golfimbul.i beleve

Oh yeah that's right. Good call Faleel! How silly of us all to forget that! And what an homage to that character from Hobbit. :P

Safe Under Hill - and anyone else curious about this Yazneg/Azog business - please see our original discussion about the Yazneg/Azog change that starts here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11433&page=197#entry878489

(Make sure you continue through halfway down page 198 as well!)

Fascinating stuff!

Oh then I admit my mistakes and eat the whole thing up! Nothing's better than some humble apple pie and vanilla sauce/whipped cream!

But the original Azog is still in the film in most of the places he was intended to be.....

Original Azog kept in:

1. Orcs seen observing our heroes after Balin tells the Azog story

2. Warg Chase into Rivendell

Original Azog replaced by new CGI Azog in:

1. "The scent is fresh - they have taken the mountain pass!" scene

2. Into The Frying Pan scene

Brand new scene that never existed before (Unless my theory that this was filmed as Azog reporting to the Necromancer is true)
1. Azog kills Yazneg or Weathertop

I know, you already said that in the older posts I linked to.

I replied thusly (see bold):

The Necromancer?

Isn't it far too early in the story for him to be present so prominently?

Just throwing out ideas!

The plot thickens!

I dout it was originally meant to be Azog reporting to the Necromancer. I'm sure they shot that scene on Weathertop to explain why Yazneg no longer appears in the following scenes.

No way - it's not necessary at all to explain to the audience why Yazneg is not seen again. You can just assume that the Elf Hunters killed all the orcs that were chasing them. That's what I assumed when I saw the movie anyway, until they showed one surviving and reporting to Azog.

No, the scene exists (in the current final film) to introduce to the audience that A> Azog is still alive and B> He is the one in charge of the orcs that have been following our heroes.

So I guess they really did fly John Rawls back to NZ just to show him getting killed by Azog then, eh?

Well, fuck. I forgot I already said that. I'm getting old.

Well, you never replied to my reply at the time, so you can reply now. Do you know what I mean? You can just assume all the orcs died that were chasing the heroes, why do you have to show one surviving?

I reckon the weathertop scene was in there all along. How can you explain the track on the soundtrack with Azogs theme, The Defiler, is the scene didn't exist. The replacement Azog was literally done a few of weeks before the premiere, according to interviews with Manu, and the track list and recordings were done way before that. I am starting to like the idea of Azog as a weaker villain now though, just another Orc, as it gives room for Smaug, and would give him a different perspective if he's was the scout that saw him. Either way PJ and team always make changes as they go, that's the way they work and I don't think they deserve all the stick they get.

I dunno about WEEKS before..... what interview with manu has a timeframe to it?

As for the weathertop scene, what is your explanation for what the scene was like before they replaced Azog? Was it originally still Azog killing an orc that survived the warg chase? If so, why would they come in and replaced Azog with new Azog and at the same time replace the surviving orc with who was the old Azog? Why not just keep the original random orc in weathertop? Makes no sense!

Well, I too think it's most likely that the Weathertop scene was ONLY added after they decided to change Azog's design.

And now I get why the scene shows Azog killing Yazneg, because Yazneg is shown as the leader of the orc pack (because when they filmed it, it was Azog leading the orc pack), so it makes sense to show the old leader get killed by the new.... I guess.

So they really must have asked the original Azog actor to fly back to NZ to film himself getting killed by his replacement :P

SafeUnderHill, if you believe the Weathertop scene was ALWAYS in the film, then what is your explanation for it? the scene shows Yazneg - which, if it really was always part of the film, was filmed as Azog - showing up to weathertop to report that all his orcs were killed by orcs, and the dwarves got away. Who do you think he would have originally been reporting to?

I think the only 2 options are it was originally filmed as Azog reporting to Necromancer (and Azog obviously didn't die at the end), or it was never filmed until they changed Azog designs.