Yeah, but most of The Hobbit CG isn't great CG (Gollum and few others excepted, of course).

On the shot I mentioned, if it's CG, then this is the best CG creature ever created by man!

I think it opens with a real costume or a puppet and when Gollum starts to drag the goblin away they shift to the CG monster.

Stiff, the kind of control you're attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that hair will not be contained. Hair breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is. Hair... finds a way.

So much so to the point that they emote their strands off for you. Just ask Miyazaki.

Peter Jackson just posted this on Facebook:

1074233_10151749496026558_1959965082_o.j

Our last day of shooting.

Ever since starting these blogs, there's been something I thought I'd like to try one day (as well as answering the other 19 questions I owe you!) - blogging throughout a shoot day in real time. Try to give you all a feeling for what we deal with on an average day.

Today is not exactly "average", given it's our last day of shooting, but if I don't do it today, I never will!

So here goes ... I'll try to update as much as I can during the day. At least with a quick photo. Text will depend a little on how busy it gets.

Right now, it's just gone 6.30am here in Wellington. I'm in bed, about to get up! I didn't get much sleep - too stressed about how we're going to get through everything we need to shoot. I kept running it over in my mind.

We're shooting scenes for Film 3 today. Stuff you will see in Dec 2014, so I'm going to try and make this honest, but spoiler free.

I've been lying here in pitch darkness, watching fight rehearsals over and over again. Our stunt co-ordinatior, Glen Boswell, worked with the actors last weekend, designing some climatic battle moments. He filmed them, and I have them on my iPad, in an application we wrote called "WingNut TV". It's a program that allows a huge amount of material to be catalog used and updated each day over the Internet. It contains all our dailies, edited films, previs, music, and much more. I'm looking at the fights, figuring out the angles I'll need to film them today. A huge amount to do, and it needs to get done.

Our shoot day starts at 8.30am, and is supposed to finish at 7.30pm. I suspect we'll be working late. Whenever we work a long day, I joke with the crew that I'm just softening them up for when Jim Cameron shows up in Wellington to shoot Avatar 2 and 3. Well ... It's not really a joke.

I'll try and update often today.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151749496026558&set=a.10150238899061558.364437.141884481557&type=1

Woop, he's already posted his next update, just a few minutes later. Rather than quoting each one, here's a link to his page where you can follow them in real time

https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ

"Why aren't you good anymore?"

:lol:

"What happened to you man? You used to be good."

I think most of the material loyal to the novel is pretty strong in the first film. When PJ goes off on one of those expanded story threads he starts losing me as he deviates too much not only from the Hobbit but from Tolkien's concepts.

We probably have very different senses of humour. I did get the joke but I'm pretty sure you do actually hate the first film and blame it on PJ?

I loved the first film, I saw it in the cinema 4 times.

Please don't preseme too much.

It's because you used < instead of [ for the spoiler /spoiler stuff

In other words, do this

[spoiler] hidden text here [/spoiler]

not this

<spoiler> hidden text here </spoiler>

Anyway, I don't get what you are referring to still, there are no spoilers in that. All you learn is that Thorin fights Azog again. It could be a moment from 20 minutes into Film 2 for all we know.

Ahhhhhh, I had forgotten that. Well, in that case, it appears they are flat out replacing Bolg with Azog in these films. Big disappointment..

Ahhhhhh, I had forgotten that. Well, in that case, it appears they are flat out replacing Bolg with Azog in these films. Big disappointment..

I don't wish to get your hopes up, it might have changed, but (from after the premier of AUJ I think) from the empire interview with Manu aka Azog.

We haven't seen Bolg on-screen yet, but it's hard to imagine a father-son dynamic between Orcs...

(Laughs) I don't think there'll be a bottle-feeding scene. I don't know if they're going have a game of cricket on the side of the battlefield. But here's an interesting bit of trivia: the guy playing Bolg, who was originally cast as Azog, was at my high school in Newcastle, Australia. He's called Conan Stevens, and was really tall and skinny back then. I was there on the day that he was picked on by a guy a year ahead of us in the playground - everyone was watching and Conan suddenly threw these big, long arms out and knocked the guy flat on his ass. And that's when he changed. He went from being bones to being on the rugby team within a month. Then he became an actor and joined us on Spartacus. I invited him over to my house and he said, "I've just landed Azog." I went, "Fuck, you bastard! I went for that role!" We celebrated at my house, and then for whatever creative purposes Peter decided to use him as Bolg and asked me to go down to do Azog. It's just a very funny coincidence. And I was there at the defining moment, when he became the Azog of our school.

Ha, that's a great story!

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/the-hobbit--an-unexpected-journey-deleted-scene--exclusive--065952595.html

My heart sank when I heard that Shire theme play, yet again replacing the wonderful Baggins-Took theme, this time as heard in 'The White Council' on the Special Edition soundtrack. I really don't understand what Jackson's problem is with that theme, as it's one of my favourites. I also think this pretty much rules out some kind of overhaul of the soundtrack on the EE.

And 13 minutes is very disappointing. I'm hoping it's a typo and they mean 23, given that Jackson originally said 20-25 mins, and he'd pretty much locked the edit by that point.

Well the movie was too long in the Theatrical form and some of the stuff meant for the 1st movie were shifted to the 2nd one so 13 minutes sounds rather expected.

And the sneak peek music sounded like another tracked or near note-for-note quote of the Pensive setting of the Shire Theme. I wonder if we get to hear the Bilbo's Theme heard on the extended White Council track in the extended film and was part of that meant to underscore this very scene.