The Lost World and Jurassic Park III

tpigeon

There have been many threads and discussions about Jurassic Park that I have found very interesting due to the divided feelings of posters on this Board. Some love it, some practically hate it. I haven't much noticed a lot of discussion about the two sequels (the films and the scores), so I figured I would try to spark one.

I see missed potential in both films, but each has is its relative strengths. Basically, if you combine the good elements of The Lost World and Jurassic Park III and you have one heck of a fun movie. The plot of the second film was one of its strengths, though it shuld have perhaps relied more on the book's. It definitely took a page from Cameron's Aliens, and it could have been almost as entertaining had the film decided not to play nice too much and the characters had been a bit more interesting. I loved that the film was a totally different feel from the first; much more gritty and scary. I had no problem with the set-up on the island. I actually think about thirty minutes in the middle of the film are quite good starting with the discovery of the Ingen camp all the way until the Raptor attack in the fields. The first Rex scene had great suspense, and I loved Spielberg's Jaws technique of keeping the Rexes mostly out of it (except in the beginning and end), so that when they eventually show up again, it's all the more powerful. When Eddie is trying to pull the trailer up and you feel the first vibration of the Rex footsteps is a great, great moment, I think. Seeing the emerge from the rainy forest is even better, as accompanied by Williams' more than amazing score. Eddie's death is certainly one of Spielberg's more brutal moments - I actually heard he got into a squabble with the MPAA over that scene since they thought it was too brutal. After they flip him in the hair and fight over his hapless body (as he is still screaming), you expect some kind of cutaway, but Spielberg keeps the long shot sustained to great effect. After that, I enjoyed the trekking scenes, the attack of the Rexes at night and the Raptors scene in the field. After that, the film kind of lost me. There was so much potential for the Raptors after that scene, and although the next scene at Camp Jurassic had its moments, it was overall a disappointment, and they got away way too easily. It was a big letdown. As for the stuff back on land, also hugely disappointing. I like the film overall for individual moments of action and adventure, but if it were a bit more cohesive it could have been a very good film. But the highs of The Lost World certainly outdo the highs of Jurassic Park in terror and suspense.

Jurassic Park III was another film of missed opportunities. This time the plot and script were bordering on awful, but, again, individual moments worked such as Cooper's last stand - which was genuinely frightening seeing the Spino for the first time, and the Pteranadon sequence, which is basically when the audiences realizes that the rest of the movie should have been as good as a sequence like this. The rest of it is people running around and getting eaten, the dinos aren't very threatening, and its overall just not clicking. But the Pteranadon sequence has flair and creativity where most of the rest of the film does not. Johnston seemed much more at home with the CG dinosaurs than he did with humans. The plusses of the movie are that it doesn't take itself too seriously or outstay its welcome. It's a ninety minute B-movie with dinosaurs chasing people. On that level, it delivers basic entertainment with a few really nice scenes and many more mediocre ones.

That's my take on the films. I'm interested to hear more.

Ted

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like JPIII at all. I recalled hating the second one, but upon seeing it a couple of months ago, I actually had a good time. It's campy and fun enough to be enjoyed. Good score, too.

I like the second one, but it was hurt for me by the screenplay - far too drawn out, and you could say a little too realistic for a film of this hollywoodized style.

JPIII for me is simply 90 minutes of fun. I liked it in the cinema and although I am well aware of its fairly substantial flaws, I recognize what it was trying to achieve and I respect it for that.

The only part of the inevitable JPIV I look forward to is the music (IMDb now claims Johnston is directing IV and he last worked with JNH on Hidalgo....). They've simply got no more fresh ideas for the dinosaurs.

I don't normally participate in discussions revolving around the Jurassic Park franchise... For me though I'm a sucker for these type of movies. I liked both The Lost World and Jurassic Park III (hell I even liked Jurassic Park). I even like the scores for both movies a lot (including JP's score). I really like how Davis adapted Williams original music pretty well with his own original music and his original music is pretty awesome in my opinion. I just shake my head when this score is constantly bashed on this board...

I don't think TLW is as bad as alot of people make it out to be. I think the ending feels tacked on and stretches the film a little longer than it needs to be.

But the "thrill" and dino sequences are on the mark and deliver.

JPIII had so much potential but the script brings the whole story crashing down. Johnson is an underated director when it comes to action and I thought the dino sequeneces were just as good as the first two films.

I agree with you ona lot of that.

Jurassic Park III was too fast.

If they'd sat down and reorganized things... say... move the T-rex/SPino battle for right after the family gets Eric back... and the spino bursts through the fence...

Have a little chase sequence, and then have the rex/spino battle... then after they escape they run into the aviary.

The Lost World, unfortunately, was written exclusively by David Koepp. Unlike Jurassic Park who's initial screen play was written by Michael Chrichton--the guy who wrote the damned book--TLW was written only by David Koepp. He never ONCE called MC about it...to talk about anything...

Steven Speilberg is said to have hated the script so much he almost walked off the project. It could have been a lot better, I agree... but Steven was trying to save the film... extend it... give it a grander scope... AND to do things that he felt might never make it into a Jurassic Park Film (if TLW were the last one as he feared.)

He made sure that the public knew about the islands and the dinosaurs and he also made sure that since he'd removed the pteros from the ending battle, he still wanted to showcase them at the end... hence the beauty scene of the ptero at the end.

There were missed opportunities abound in the two films...

TLW wasn't based enough in the book (Something MC was aware would happen. But he was asked to write a novel to accompany the film so he did...his one and only sequel).

And JP3 was too fast.

That's why I'm pleased that JP4 is taking so much time. It means to me that they're making sure the script is good this time. I mean, did you hear about the script they had...dinosaurs with rocket launchers on them? oye...

But yea... I agree...

However, I do still love TLW more than JP3. JP3 is more fun, but it's almost like a fan film ...rather than a sequel...

I loved TLW because it wasn't simply a retread of JP. It didn't even come close to capturing the magic of the first film though, but it was dark and scary the way IJ Temple of Doom was. JP3 could have benefited from a stronger ending. The characters literally ran out of the jungle onto the beach and the film was over!

If Spielberg is behind JP4, I think it will have tremendous potential. Bringing back Crichton to write or produce would be even better.

I really disliked TLW. I think that it is one of Spielberg's worst, next to 1941. I thought that JP3 was a minor improvement over TLW, but still didn't even come close to the original.

Never seen III. TLW was pretty bad as far as I recall. In particular, I remember that very stupid subplot with the T-Rex eating a dog in San Diego (just another symptom of the idiotic "don't take yourself too seriously" mentality that's so prominent these days... see also the stupid T-Rex toilet sequence in JP). Great score though.

Now, the first one was enjoyable. Nevertheless, it's extremely overrated around these parts. Great score though.

I liked all three of the movies. They all have good things about them, and they all have notsogood things about them.

In Jurassic Park - the score was excellent, the script, the dinosaurs, and just in general. I liked the more subtle humour "Objects in mirror..., etc.).

The Lost World - the score is again, excellent. The scene with the Tyrannosaurs at night was fantastic - but it begins to really fall apart after the snake-guy gets eaten.

JPIII - popcorn fun with a good score. What else to say?

JPIII - popcorn fun with a good score. What else to say?

I think that's the best description yet. I particularly don't get all the criticism aimed at Davis' score - it uses JW's themes very well in my opinion, a couple of new (perhaps slightly cheesy) themes and some very complex writing. I think again it's a case of 'what would Williams have done?'.

The only bad piece of music is the cheesy family theme Davis wrote. Other than some poor choices of where to use Williams music I think the rest of the album is pretty good.

The action cues deliver as far as I'm concerned.

TLW has one absolutely terrific edge of your seats spinetingly sequence with Julianne Moore on the breaking window pane, thats awesome, but in the end the film is less than the sum of its parts.

JPIII had the ultra fake spinosaur, which would never have won any battle with the T-Rex in their real incarntions. Had they filmed the ending where it was defeated by another t-rex I might have enjoyed the film better. Its a popcorn movie with no soul, but it does have dinosaurs so its never a complete waste.

I'm not, stop while you are ahead.

I agree with Joe on TLW but I think the whole cliff sequence to include the T-Rex is amazing, and topped off by Williams' music.

I too thought it would be cool to see another T-Rex vs Spinosaurus fight instead of the weak typical saw it coming ending.

I love The Lost World. Don't get me wrong, Jurassic Park is fine, but The Lost World took it to a whole other level with it's darker mood. The first one is like, "Let's got have funn trying not to get killed by dinosaurs!" LOL

Then The Lost World is pretty much like, "Oh my god. We're gonna go to this island and we're all gonna die . . . ALL OF US!"

It's so much better it's not even funny. Although, the scene with the T-rex outside the kid's window is pretty lame. I think I'd have had the T-rex eat his parents, then the little turd wouldn't think it's so funny.

Jurassic Park III on the other hand is absolute garbage. The first two flesh out their stories over two hours and change each . . . this one was basically Universal trying to capitalize on the name without really delivering anything really good. It's a half hour shorter than the first two, it has no finale, the list could go on and on. But I'll just stick with my one point. The ending! That's no kind of ending. Here, we'll give the raptors back their eggs and they'll leave us untouched. Then, instead of having one final real encounter with something or some other hitch in the plan, we'll get to the edge of the island and see a man in a business suit talking to us just as the Navy appears. Wow. Thanks Ellie. You must have presidential status or something to pull that rabbit outa your ass.

And sadly, JP3 was the only one I saw at the theater.

Jurassic Park was the first Spielberg movie I saw in the theaters. I remember running out screaming a bit after the beginning raptor sequence.

You wimp....:)

I saw Jurassic Park 3 times during it's first two weeks. At one showing I remember these girls sitting next to us screaming, at one one point one of the girls grabbed my arm during the raptor sequence. I found it extremely funny but she was embarrassed. Sadly that's as far as it went.

You wimp....:)

Well, I was 7, saw it almost alone in a darkened theatre (my parents were a few rows back), and so frightened I clasped my hands over my eyes when the Rex went in for the kill, so I didn't see Gennarro getting thrown around like a rag doll. Instead, all I witnessed was the sound, which is absolutely terrifying in the dark.

Well, the main thing that made Jurassic Park so enjoyable (in my opinion) is that you genuinely cared for the characters. For some reason we seem to warm to vulnerable people naturally, perhaps because we feel protective towards them. So, in Jurassic Park, when the characters were being threatened by gigantic dinosaurs it was genuinely exciting and scary to watch.

Moving on to JP3, the character development was poor. This, along with a shitty storyline made JP3 a dull movie. The characters just didn't seem to give a damn that they were risking their lives. Oh, and the 10 year old boy who survived in the jungle for weeks against 100's of dinosaurs - yeah right. :roll: .. The first time the group encounter a dinosaur, it's turned into a funny moment - "Nobody move a muscle".. *everyone runs*.. All I can say about that is LAME.

Considering the overall crapiness of the film, I consider the fact that Don Davis produced such a brilliant score astounding. I think the orchestration and recording was a little weak in places, which generally didn't help the score. But for the mostpart, Davis wrote some very complex, interesting, and inspired music that I don't think many other composers around could've done.

Oh, and I think Davis' family theme is well written and charming, but within the context of the movie it comes across as cheesy.

pervert

Yes I know.... ;)

You wimp....;)

Well, I was 7, saw it almost alone in a darkened theatre (my parents were a few rows back), and so frightened I clasped my hands over my eyes when the Rex went in for the kill, so I didn't see Gennarro getting thrown around like a rag doll. Instead, all I witnessed was the sound, which is absolutely terrifying in the dark.

Don't worry, my daughter sat on my lap the whole second half of the movie with her hands over her eyes.

My son, who was 5 sat on the edge of his seat, leaning against the chair in front of him with a wide eyed sense of amazement.