The Cool Wall: JWFAN Edition.

In the spirit of BBC's Top Gear cool wall, but with film composers instead of cars.

The rules are simple, the cool wall is divided into 4 sections:

Sub Zero Composers

Cool Composers

Uncool Composers

Seriously Uncool Composers

This will have nothing to do simply with compositional skill, but simply with how cool the person is.

To get this started I'll give an example for all 4 catagories:

Subzero Composers

Bernard Herrman:

The quintesential rebel. The old rocker of the film score composers, He told Orson Welles to get stuffed after his score for The Magnificent Ambersons got butchered. Ignored the Austia induced Golden Age tradition of scoring the emotions that were already visible on screen, instead changed the mood and feel of a scene by underpinning what was not directly visible.

Hated idiocy and had heated debates and fights with pretty much every film composer of any significance throughout his entire lifetime.

Overruled Hitchcock's decision to not score the shower scene in Psycho and thereby creating cinema history.

Overruled Hitchcock's decision to not score a murder scene in Thorn Curtain and got fired!

Got involved with some of the most skilled and visionary directors of the 70's New Wave, like DePalma, Trauffaut, Scorcese. Died only hours after recording Taxi Driver, one of the greatest films ever made.

And for added coolness. Quentin Tarantino dug up some obscure Herrmann track (Twisted Nerve) for his Kill Bill films. Not The Murdser cue from Psych, not North By Northwest, but something that would have otherwise have been totally forgotten.

Cool Composers

Danny Elfman.

Broke out into the scene big time with Batman, a young guy from the pop-music scene, not clasically trained. So the elitists despised him. (always good for a cool factor). Before scoring films he was part of an 80's Elekto pop group called Oingo Boingo, which sounds very odd, retro and alternative...which is cool.

Continued that succes with looking for projects with an unusual, edgy nature instead of going for the big Hollywood bucks and scoring the latest Bruce Willis/ Ah'nold/Stallone action film,

Even though he'sd been in the film scoring bizz for many years now he's always kept outside the box in either the projects he has chosen or the way he scored otherwise standard films.

He's married to a gorgeous Fonda and he has red hair and often a beard or a goatee and doesn't look like a prat.

Uncool Composers

John Debney

Who also has a goatee but it does nothing for him. John Debney is known for being one of the nicest guy's in film scoring, which isn't really cool. You would not mind having him over at a party, but you would not expect him to provide some fireworks. And if he'd called up to say that he would not be able to make it, it would not make much of a difference.

His music is, apart from a ocassional flash of inspiration, also, very nice. Nothing too original, or different, but nothing really offensive either.

He has had one really big hit, which was The Passion Of The Christ, but has told in countless interviews that the theme to that film was kinda given to him by God.

Which isn't cool.

Sorry John, but we still think you are a nice guy....

Seriously Uncool Composers.

James Horner.

Started out well in the early 80's but has seriously ruined it.

It's not just that's he's stealing from classical composers. (which in itself can be a cool thing). It's not just that he re-uses hiw own and other peoples music time and time again. But the fact that he refuses to even own up to it is what makes him uncool.

What makes him seriously in cool is that he has a rather fake sounding English accent and in interviews comes over as a whining dick.

Also he is the composer for Titanic, and even won an Oscar for it.

As much as I love that score, I would rather be caught trying to fit a dress in a women's clothing store then be seen playing that score.

How this will work.

I will select a composer every few days and tell him in what catagory I think he should be in. Others can argue their cases for me being right or wrong

Via a poll everyone here can select one of the 4 options:

Subzero

Cool

Uncool

Seriously Uncool

And after the poll closer the result will be added to the official JWFAN.NET Cool Wall.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No that's rubbish.

In the eyes of the rest of the world maybe, who think Goth is cool, because it's doesn't follow the popular trends.

The Cool Wall is there for filmscore fans to seperate the weat from the chaff as far as their idols are concerned.

Sub Zero Composers: Ennio Morricone

Cool Composers: Basil Poledouris

Uncool Composers: John Barry

Seriously Uncool Composers: Michael Gore

Something like that?

No, Michael Gore is maybe uncool, but not seriously uncool, he's isn't famous or interesting enough for that.

John Barry is uncool, he's a tired old man who's most famous theme is possibly written partly by someone else, and he's a nag.

I don't know if Morricone is cool, what do you find Sub Zero about him?

Basil Poledouris conducted the first concert in his career wearing a black bandana and only 2 weeks after brain surgeory, which is just SUB ZERO!

I don´t think Steef is reffering to their music per se, but rather their atitude towards their craft.

Correct, coolness isn't defined by the quality of their music (or else Michael Jackson would still be cool).

It's atitude, career choices, personality the lot.

Sub Zero - Jerry Goldsmith

Cool - John Williams

Uncool - Hans Zimmer (thinks he cool, therefore uncool)

Seriously Uncool - James Horner (seems really stuck-up)

Sub Zero - Williams & Goldsmith

Cool - Ifukube

Uncool-Horner

Seriously Uncool - Zimmer

Under cool you could also add North, A. Newman, Mancini, Rozsa, Steiner, Herrmann, Silvestri, Broughton, Delerue, Poledouris, Barry, Elfman, Arnold, Bernstein, Goldenthal...

I guess I lack a proper appreciation for judging "coolness", since I prefer gentlemen-heroes and not obnoxious rock-stars...

Still:

SubZero: Williams, Goldsmith, Herrmann, Korngold, Rosza, Waxman

Cool: Steiner, Goldenthal, Rosenman, Elfman

Uncool: Zimmer&Co.

Seriously Uncool: Lisa Gerrard, James Horner

SubZero: Williams, Silvestri, James Newton Howard, Elfman, Goldsmith

Cool: David Arnold, Joel McNeely, Herrmann, Zimmer, Bruce Broughton, Delerue, Poledouris, Goldenthal, Alan Menken, Marc Shaiman, Michael Kamen, Thomas Newman, Harry Gregson-Williams, John Powell, Chris Beck, Ed Shearmur, Trevor Jones, John Debney, Morricone

Uncool: Horner, Howard Shore, Klaus Badelt, Christopher Young, Clint Mansell, Patrick Doyle, Phillip Glass, John Ottman, John Frizzel, Michael Giacchino, Brad Fiedel, Michael Nyman

Seriously uncool: Gustavo Santaolala, Graeme Revell, Carter Burwell, Trevor Rabin, Jeff Rona, Rolfe Kent, Nick Glennie-Smith, Bryan Tyler.

You know it's going to lead to trouble.

I believe I know where I stand among the people here that matter to me, I don't care what the rest think.

As much as I love that score, I would rather be caught trying to fit a dress in a women's clothing store then be seen playing that score.

I don't even like Titanic all that much (its 3 out of 5 in my book), but why the extreme embarrassment of being seen listening to it?

I don't even like Titanic all that much (its 3 out of 5 in my book), but why the extreme embarrassment of being seen listening to it?

I definately get Stefan's point.

Owning Totanic doesn't make you seem cool to regular people, because they will think you like Celine Dion and Irish New Age music. and possibly have a thing for Leonardo.

It's not cool to other filmscore collectors either because tens of millions of normal people bought the score, which means you were just following the herd.

I keep my 4 Titanic CD's hidden in DVD cases of Chicks With D*cks parts 6 till 10, to avoid any embarresment

Sub Zero: Bill Conti

Cool: Laurence Rosenthal, David Raksin, Joe Hisaishi, Wojciech Kilar, Mark McKenzie, Conrad Pope

Uncool: Rachel Portman, Mark Isham, Gabriel Yared, George Fenton, Lee Holdridge, Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, Maurice Jarre

Seriously uncool: Randy Edelman

I keep my 4 Titanic CD's hidden in DVD cases of Chicks With D*cks parts 6 till 10, to avoid any embarresment

;)ROTFLMAO

Oh, contribute something useful, you say? Fine:

Subzero: Goldsmith

Cool: Williams (too diplomatic to be Subzero), Zimmer (don't like his music, but I like what I've seen of his personality in interviews)

Uncool: Klaus Badelt

Seriously uncool: Horner (stuck up git)

is one of those Jamie Lee Curtis?

is one of those Jamie Lee Curtis?

LOL

For the record I have Titanic and Back To Titanic.

Sub Zero: Bill Conti

Cool: Laurence Rosenthal, David Raksin, Joe Hisaishi, Wojciech Kilar, Mark McKenzie, Conrad Pope

Uncool: Rachel Portman, Mark Isham, Gabriel Yared, George Fenton, Lee Holdridge, Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, Maurice Jarre

Seriously uncool: Randy Edelman

'bout f*cking time someone mentioned Bill Conti.

Lalo Schifrin is cool just for not ripping Friedkin's head off when he - rather amusingly - rejected his score for The Exorcist. Seriously, Friedkin takes the recording of Schifrin's score - midway through its being recorded - and whips it out into a nearby parking lot! Amazing.

Lalo Schifrin is either Sub Zero or Cool.  Can't decide.

The Argentine's definitely subzero by my reckoning. Listen to the opening titles from Magnum Force or La Columna from Che and say it isn't so! I also think his theme music for the first series of Starsky and Hutch is even cooler than Tom Scott's more famous theme, even if it was cut and pasted from a scene at the end of the pilot episode.

Damien (a bit of a Schifrin fan :cool: )

I don't think Williams is that cool, to be honest. He's too polite, he doesn't seem to speak his mind. Unless he really does love everybody he's ever worked for equally, in which case he's uncool for that.

His music's sub-zero, though. :P

I don't think Williams is that cool, to be honest. He's too polite, he doesn't seem to speak his mind. Unless he really does love everybody he's ever worked for equally, in which case he's uncool for that.

His music's sub-zero, though. :P

Exactly, he tends to be too politically correct, gives way too many compliements to others, and tells the same Schindler's List story EVERY INTERVIEW!

Goldsimth and Herman, on the other hand; now they were fun.

Subzero: Goldsmith, Herman, Elfman

Cool: Hans Zimmer, John Williams, David Arnold (for his fights agains illegal downloads)

Uncool: Alan Silvestri

Seriously Uncool: James Horner

Goldsimth and Herman, on the other hand; now they were fun.  

Yes, Herrmann went to the opposite extreme - "Look at The Battle of Britain - they threw out Walton's music and put that piece of crap in..." :P

I disagree, Goodwin's music is pretty good and so is Walton's.

I agree with you. I don't know which I prefer... Walton's music is much more musically mature, but I think it was perhaps a little too serious, and doesn't help the already flawed film. Goodwin's music is less technically brilliant, but makes the film a bit more fun IMO.

I don't think Williams is that cool, to be honest.

Nope. He's trying...

main1.jpg

...but he doesn't convince. :P

(http://www.superiorpics.com/hs/john_williams/main1.jpg, in case that image above doesn't work for you either)