Are these true?

JWfangirl1992

Interstellar (2009) (announced)  

"Untitled Star Wars TV Series" (2007) TV Series (announced) (main theme)  

Indiana Jones 4 (2008) (pre-production)  

Lincoln (2008) (pre-production)  

Jurassic Park IV (2008) (pre-production) (themes)  

... aka JP4 (USA: promotional abbreviation)

Ok I got this off of IMDB, yes I know their credibility sucks but are these movies definitely confirmed or imdb's version of confirmed?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, these are just assumptions. I don't think he's even been confirmed for Indy 4. It'd be nice to hear him score Lincoln, but only if he can create a memorable theme or two and some memorable music. No more minimalist crap.

The only way Indy IV happens without Williams is if Williams passes away by the time Lucas gets off his fucking high horse and accepts a script that he didn't write himself (ie. never).

I was under the impression that Indy IV had a firm script already...?

About twenty, yes. All rejected, as far as I know.

Think about it, scripts rejected by the person who wrote Attack of the Clones. 8O

Yeah, these are just assumptions.  I don't think he's even been confirmed for Indy 4.  It'd be nice to hear him score Lincoln, but only if he can create a memorable theme or two and some memorable music.  No more minimalist crap.

Williams has been writing "minimalist" music?

He's confusing boring with minimalist.

Williams' recent output has been neither. OK, The Patriot was boring. But the rest isn't!

But I think Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Attack of the Clones, Minority Report, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Catch Me If You Can, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Terminal, Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds, Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich are all interesting scores.

John's recent out put has been very mixed. All of his Harry Potter stuff has been very good to excellent.

His star wars shit has been shit. His work for spielberg has been crap with the exception of CMIYC & WOTW. Memoirs was good, but it isn't worthy of standing next to his Oscar winners even though it deserved the Oscar.

Munich was not worthy of any Oscar consideration, it was just a very weak year. AI is boring, The Patriot is ehhh, Sorcerer's Stone is his last great score from front to back.

Think about it, scripts rejected by the person who wrote Attack of the Clones. ;)

As big a Star Wars fan as I am I have to chuckle at that.

If the Star Wars live action series actually comes to fruition I'm very anxious and excited about the soundtrack. Highly doubt Williams will do it. But who would be a good choice instead? Joel McNeely perhaps? What about Mark Griskey or Jeremy Soule? I've heard their soundtracks to the Knights of the Old Republic games are good.

I agree. Memoirs is an enchanting score in my opinion. Very well done, and better than a couple of his Oscar winning scores.

Which ones would you put it above? Fiddler, Jaws, SW, ET, or Schindler?

my favorite from his last batch was RotS ... and PoA.

With you on that one, mostly. Depends how far back his 'last batch' goes. SW scores are my fav above all the rest.

BTW, any word on who will be scoring Order of the Phoenix? I mostly liked Doyle's score for Goblet but I'm hoping Williams will be back.

The last scores I've thoroughly enjoyed by Williams are PoA and The Terminal, both from 2004. RotS didn't do much for me, nor did WotW. Memoirs and Munich both have some lovely themes and highlights, but overall aren't as interesting to me. I'm hoping for something where he can write a really enjoyable, thematic score that's appropriately varied while still being cohesive. The Lincoln film seems to have some potential - it could be interesting to hear Williams write Civil War era music, I'm thinking more along the lines of stirring violin solos, etc, rather than the muted brass we're accustomed to for patriotic themes.

Ray Barnsbury

(there needs to be more appreciation for both Memoirs and Munich...)

Going back to the imdb-info: I think an all-new theme for a Star Wars TV series would be interesting, and probably much more fitting than re-using the SW main title (Luke's theme). For all of those who love Williams' late 70's/early 80's writing, this could prove a perfect opportunity to revisit some of that territory.

On the other hand: As much as I love the Indiana Jones scores, I am actually really looking forward to a more mature and perhaps even slightly more subtle new Indy score.

Well, to each his own. I think Memoirs really is one of his best scores - IMO it can stand alongside all, and even surpass some of his Oscar winning scores.

so you're saying memoirs is better than Jaws?, Star Wars? E.T? Schindler's List? Which one, ones?

its not even in the ball park with any of them. Sorry Rob, but if thats really your opinion its a poor one.

but please tell us, I'd like to hear your justifications on it.

Well, to each his own. I think Memoirs really is one of his best scores - IMO it can stand alongside all, and even surpass some of his Oscar winning scores.

so you're saying memoirs is better than Jaws?, Star Wars? E.T? Schindler's List? Which one, ones?

its not even in the ball park with any of them. Sorry Rob, but if thats really your opinion its a poor one.

I think it's better than Schindler's List and Fiddler on the Roof, two of his 5 Oscar-winning scores.

And personally, I think it can stand alongside Star Wars, if slightly below Jaws and E.T.. You can call that a poor opinion all you like, but I stand by it.

I don't count Fiddler because the music isn't his, but I'd let that stand.

Im not a huge SL fan, but even I can recognize its not in its class, as for stand alongside Star Wars, no, and slightly below Jaws and Et, thats lunacy, and on this board heracy. Your death will be by impalment, upon a steak coated with the juice of 1000 scotchbonnets, as you slowly sink on the steak the juice will burn like nothing has ever burned you before.

Your death will be by impalment, upon a steak coated with the juice of 1000 scotchbonnets, as you slowly sink on the steak the juice will burn like nothing has ever burned you before.

...nice pleasent mental images there...

Anyway because I have yet to hear the Indiana Jones scores I'm really looking forward to him doing Lincoln. I'm picturing a cross between a few of the more dramatics cues from RotS, Munich, and SL. But I'm probably way off on that.

I was thinking about that which IJ should I watch first?

Off topic: I was randomly buzzing through Fanfiction.net and found this.

YOU ROCK! (By the way: Everybody DOES have more fun with Danny Elfman over John Williams. )

Psh...yea right.

Yes, definitely rent the Indiana Jones films. And not just to hear the scores.

I was thinking about that which IJ should I watch first?

The first one - Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just watch them in the order they were made. Temple of Doom is actually set before Raiders, but it doesn't make much difference. In fact, there are some references to Raiders in Temple, so it makes even more sense just to watch them in the order they were made.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The Indy scores are Williams scores of the most supreme quality,in the "Star Wars Original Trilogy,E.T. and Superman The Movie" range.I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun experiencing those for the first time.

K.M.

Williams has been writing "minimalist" music?

I'm not confusing any terms, I just don't use them as strictly around here. By minimalist I meant purely that I can't stand scores lately who don't even bother to develop a theme, and since Lincoln is a subject I am extremely interested in, I want a memorable score, not another Munich, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

I'm not confusing any terms, I just don't use them as strictly around here. By minimalist I meant purely that I can't stand scores lately who don't even bother to develop a theme, and since Lincoln is a subject I am extremely interested in, I want a memorable score, not another Munich, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

Williams hasn't made an exception to his leitmotif approach in many years (yes, War of the Worlds has at least a theme, and it is very interesting to listen to it develop, actually). But if he did... what would be the problem? The less themes, the more original music. Besides, didn't you say you didn't even listen to Memoirs and Munich (both of which have three or four well-developed themes)?

WELLLLLLLLLL i think Lincoln is gonna be no more better than JFK or The Patriot and u guys can stop bickering about the worst JW scores. because JFK AND The Patriot are the worst JW scores. The Prologue and Main Themes are nice but overall there not great. o ya..........IMO

I think it's better than Schindler's List and Fiddler on the Roof, two of his 5 Oscar-winning scores.

And personally, I think it can stand alongside Star Wars, if slightly below Jaws and E.T.. You can call that a poor opinion all you like, but I stand by it.

As far as dramatic scores by JW go, I think Schindler's List is unsurpassed. Memoirs (and also Angela's Ashes) is close, but nothing beats SL ... yet. Many people here seem to think SL is sorta depressing and unlistenable, but I don't think that's the case at all. It's hauntingly sad, sure, but nevertheless I love listening to the Main Theme, Jewish Town, Schindler's Workforce, and more recently Give Me Your Names and Making the List. Those are really masterpieces of classical composition, and there's no getting around it.

Memoirs is also great -- perhaps a close second -- but it somehow lacks the dramatic impact, and IMO that's because the movie itself is far inferior to SL. Still, The Chairman's Waltz, Going to School, Becoming a Geisha, and Confluence are so good they still send pleasurable shivers down my back whenever I put them on.

Listen to John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! and then decide whether JFK is his worst score. :P

JFK is a very good score, the album assembly is poor.

John Goldfarb is fun, and much like Penelope I can't get that stupid song outta my head when I listen to it.

Listen to John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! and then decide whether JFK is his worst score. :P

JFK is a very good score, the album assembly is poor.

John Goldfarb is fun, and much like Penelope I can't get that stupid song outta my head when I listen to it.

A Guide for the Married Man is the one I really struggle to get out of my head.

The less themes, the more original music. Besides, didn't you say you didn't even listen to Memoirs and Munich (both of which have three or four well-developed themes)?

No, I own Munich and have listened to Memoirs. There ARE themes, I'm just being extremely harsh, I want the Lincoln movie to have REALLY memorable, good themes, because the subject matter is so close to my heart. There are so few movies on Presidents that are good, or created by quality directors (I can only think of Nixon, really), that I don't want this opportunity to be wasted with some non-memorable score. There is so much drama in this subject that it would be a severe letdown to have a score without a lot of variation and drama. A quiet, simple theme is just not going to cut it in Lincoln, in my view.

Williams did win his "Fiddler" Oscar for adapting and conducting, but he really made the work his own in every way. Shove aside the credit and the fact that it's a musical made in 1971 and you find that it is Williams at his very best. Compare it to the original Broadway cast album and it's absolutely shocking because he basically ignored everything except the basic melodies and put his own stamp on it. That was a truly well-deserved Oscar for an accomplishment that holds up to this day and it has more of the Williams sound a lot of us fell in love with than many of his recent scores do.

As far as dramatic scores by JW go, I think Schindler's List is unsurpassed. Memoirs (and also Angela's Ashes) is close, but nothing beats SL ... yet. Many people here seem to think SL is sorta depressing and unlistenable, but I don't think that's the case at all. It's hauntingly sad, sure, but nevertheless I love listening to the Main Theme, Jewish Town, Schindler's Workforce, and more recently Give Me Your Names and Making the List. Those are really masterpieces of classical composition, and there's no getting around it.    

Memoirs is also great -- perhaps a close second -- but it somehow lacks the dramatic impact,  and IMO that's because the movie itself is far inferior to SL. Still, The Chairman's Waltz, Going to School, Becoming a Geisha, and Confluence are so good they still send pleasurable shivers down my back whenever I put them on.

I agree 110%!

I hear a lot about thematic development but I'm not sure I really understand what that means. Would someone mind giving some examples to a musical ignoramus? Like perhaps from the Star Wars universe as that's what I'm most familiar with?

I'm too tired and lazy for quote boxes, so here's some random musings on what I've read in here:

- RotS is easily my favorite of recent Williams, with Sorcerers' Stone close behind. Both masterpieces. AotC and PoA are just behind.

- Geisha is one of Williams' stronger recent efforts IMO, but not great. The main theme and it's signature track Becoming a Geisha are wonderful, but the rest of the score doesn't reach the same level. For the 21st century "drama" scores AI would top the list for me.

- SL is a suberb drama score, one that I've come to appreciate more and more recently. It's a damn fine listen on CD too. Both of the themes are wonderful.

Oh, OK, one quote box;

What about Mark Griskey or Jeremy Soule? I've heard their soundtracks to the Knights of the Old Republic games are good.

You heard very, very correctly. :thumbup: