What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

I read a memoirs of a local sportscaster, which was pretty interesting. Now I'm reading Colossus, about the building of Hoover Dam.

I've got a few other books laying around that are all in various states of being started, but that's the one drawing my most attention at the moment.

I think people should at least say a little something about the book they read instead of simply listing them off

Haha, sorry.

Primary Colors was pretty good. It's more about the game of politics than actual partisan politics. I watched the movie and it was really close to the book.

So Far is an older autobiography by Kelsey Grammar. It was very uninteresting but a very very quick read.

Sorry Trent, I wasn't targeting you specifically, just making a general statement.

I've got Chuck Palahniuk's two (3?) most recent books lying around I still gotta read

I finished re-reading the entire Potter series the other day. I believe it was my first time reading the entire series in order, one after another, already having read all of them - I think I read the first six in order in anticipation of DH coming out, but I might be wrong about that. In any case, it'd been a while since I'd read ANY of these, and it really was a pleasurable experience. What struck me most was how all seven books really do form a single cohesive narrative, how each book leads into the others so nicely. It's evident that Rowling either planned things out early or was a lot better than, say, the creators of LOST when it comes to stringing stuff together in a way that makes sense retrospectively. Particularly rewarding is Snape's plot arc...Rowling spends five-and-a-half books repeatedly building and destroying our suspicion of Snape, only to shock us with what seems an unforgivable act...and then redeem him more completely than seemed possible.

Despite the series' continuity, it is interesting to see how it changed over time. The first book really does feel like a children's book - short, simple, relatively lighthearted. COS and POA gradually transition into something slightly less juvenile, but it's not until GOF (possibly my favorite of the seven) that the series really hits its stride. The theme of death becomes much more prominent, the number of pages explodes (which works really well for these books), and the series starts moving towards its inevitable conclusion. I also found myself liking OOTP and HBP more, for the same reasons, although DH surprised me by being slightly less rewarding than I remembered. Still a great conclusion to the series, though.

• 2 weeks later...

the lost symbol by hack dan brown, yet I liked it. Predictable, I figured out the two surprises, three actually. the finale was terrific.

I've only time for commute books like that now anyway. There's nowt wrong with trashy nonsense so long as it's full of cheap thrills and a satisfying climax.

James Patterson has carved a career out of it and his Alex Cross series is popular in our house. Also, the girlfriend loves Lee Childs novels about the ex-military vigilante with a heart of gold. But she's REALLY pissed off that Tom Cruise has been cast as her imaginary heartthrob. Apparently the bloke is supposed to be a badass 6ft5" tower of masculinity...

Anyway, I am making the effort for a change with a book which takes longer than a couple of days to finish. A Game of Thrones. Freakin' loving it.

I'm expecting to struggle with that when I've finished it. I love how the show plays out and if the first season is anything to go by it should be very faithful to the book. Have you read the special preview at the end of GoT?

I'm expecting to struggle with that when I've finished it. I love how the show plays out and if the first season is anything to go by it should be very faithful to the book. Have you read the special preview at the end of GoT?

No, should I?

Karol

You, I'm afraid of being to picky. Because I really enjoyed the show and it did nothing to ruin the read afterwards. But it definitely can happen when you do it the other way around.

It happened also with The Prestige. I watched the film first. And read the book afterwards. And enjoyed both that way. But again there is a massive difference between the two. Different sets of surprises and even different genre.

Karol

JAWS by Peter Benchley

I thought it was going to be a lot different than the movie, but I guess it really wasn't. I already knew about a couple differences so I wasnt really surprised. It's a fast read and worth reading if you are a fan of the movie.

I love IT. I've read IT three times so far. I keep hearing rumors that they want to make a feature film out of it. I would be interested but it would have to be a two part movie like the miniseries that came out in the 90s.

I read The Stand Uncut version about 17 years ago, and it was, and is, one of my favorite books. Like IT, it's dense, character driven, well written and plotted, and completely interesting from start to finish. There are moments of pure terror in IT that aren't related to Pennywise at all, like Bev's abusive husband, the hate crime toward the beginning, etc. that make it all that more unnerving because he sets this completely intangible evil in a very real environment.

My Best Friend is a Wookie by Tony Pacitti

The story of growing up as a Star Wars fan. The author is the same exact age as me and I felt like we had the same experiences throughout our childhoods. Any Star Wars fan in their mid 20s will enjoy this book.

I am reading "A relation of the great sufferings and strange adventures of Henry Pitman, chyrurgion to the late Duke of Monmouth, containing an account..." by Henry Pitman, from 1689, which is generally regarded as being the source of inspiration for Daniel Defoe's 'Robinson Crusoe' as well as Rafael Sabatini's 'Captain Blood'...and through the movie adaptation of the latter, to some extent, for the present day interest in pirate movies.

Nope. It's actually a reprint of the original typeset book, only 34 pages but written in Early English :) It does feel like holding history in your hands... The fact that Pitmans describes his true (mis)fortunes as a medical doctor who becomes a pirate and gets stuck on a desert island adds another dimension to it.

While I was making a joke, now you've piqued my interest. I saw it's cheap online, and I love me a good adventure yarn.

I knew but just wanted to spark your interest :)

I'd recommend you to give it a try! But do not expect any Michael Crichton like adventure novel, it's a bit difficult to read because of the Old English (including old spelling and moderate quality scans of the manuscript)

and it is noted down a bit dry, as an objective journal...nonetheless it's an exciting story!

Guy Gibson by Richard Morris. An interesting biography of the Dam Busters' leader. It paints a somewhat different picture to the one that emerges from Gibson's memoir "Enemy Coast Ahead" (which was heavily censored) or Paul Brickhill's "The Dam Busters". This is a warts and all portrait and some interesting information emerges, such as the fact that Gibson had problems with his feet (gout or some kind of arthritic condition) and was in a lot of pain on the day of the Dams raid. I haven't seen this mentioned in previous accounts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby.

Hornby is my favorite author and I must say that this is my least favorite book of his. It is a memoir of a football fanatic. It had too much football in it for my liking, I assumed it would have more personal stories directly from his life.

• 2 weeks later...

Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks "writing as Ian Fleming."

It expanded on Fleming's Bond character. It's not as good as Fleming but its more enjoyable than some of the other Bond books out there.