What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

Spine creases are unavoidable. I take great care of my stuff yet it always happens. The most annoying to me is that my first edition of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is almost completely falling apart.

Well, I can't complain about having nothing to read now! For Christmas I got Decision Points, The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films, and a copy of the Complete Works of Shakespeare.

Then how do you read them?

with (too) much care...i fear.

I've read the black Tolkien paperbacks opening them no more than 90°, and the spines still show some signs.

What really annoyed me is the beautiful big, Alan Lee illustrated hardcover LOTR edition (the one they used when they made the PJ movies, and also based the EE DVD menus on). Its spine broke under the books own weight while I read it.

Count me among those who got Doug Adams' book for Christmas. :)

Then how do you read them?

with (too) much care...i fear.

I guess you don't read on the commode, either. That's pretty much the only place I read anymore, aside from bus trips, waiting rooms, and while I'm waiting for a time-consuming operation to complete.

Oh don't worry. It's perfectly safe for the book, as I know what I'm doing. The only disaster I ever experienced was when I bumped my softcover movie tie-in copy of The Golden Compass from the toilet paper stand into the empty, open commode (beforehand). I quickly retrieved it, read the first few pages while I got down to business, and then threw it away before washing my hands thoroughly.

Actually, based on the saga to unfold, I'd like to think that was God telling me "Don't read this book, I insist." I found an all-in-one tome at Walmart fairly cheaply and read it anyways.

I'm currently working through Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination and The Music of the Lord of the Rings. Both excellent reads so far!

I just finished A Tale of Two Cities two days ago. For years I'd been wondering where that quote in Wrath of Khan came from, and when I did some research, I'd never heard of it. At first, I was afraid I'd never finish it; the middle part went slowly but steadily (not that I found it uninteresting, but I still didn't find it an easy read). The finale was unexpectedly breathtaking, and after I had given up on expecting any closer parallels to TWOK, they of course did become clear in the end. Not an easy read, but ultimately a very worthwhile one. Not my last Dickens.

Yeah, Dickens definitely takes his sweet time in that book, but I agree the ending makes it worth it.

That Walt Disney book is, in my opinion, excellent. It blows other Disney bios out of the water (in particular, the one by Bob Thomas). It reminds me of "Schulz and Peanuts," by David Micaelis, another very truthful bio.

I'm currently working through Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination and The Music of the Lord of the Rings. Both excellent reads so far!

I just finished A Tale of Two Cities two days ago. For years I'd been wondering where that quote in Wrath of Khan came from, and when I did some research, I'd never heard of it. At first, I was afraid I'd never finish it; the middle part went slowly but steadily (not that I found it uninteresting, but I still didn't find it an easy read). The finale was unexpectedly breathtaking, and after I had given up on expecting any closer parallels to TWOK, they of course did become clear in the end. Not an easy read, but ultimately a very worthwhile one. Not my last Dickens.

Yeah, Dickens definitely takes his sweet time in that book, but I agree the ending makes it worth it.

That Walt Disney book is, in my opinion, excellent. It blows other Disney bios out of the water (in particular, the one by Bob Thomas). It reminds me of "Schulz and Peanuts," by David Micaelis, another very truthful bio.

I just finished it. I haven't read any other Disney bios, but I can't imagine a better one. This one was fantastic. In addition to the highly specific and personal details, the analysis, both Gabler's own opinions and Gabler's inclusion of other very different opinions is fascinating to read. The only possible criticism I have is that, often, the details are a little much. I could've used without the detailed history of Walt's relatives, or some of the nitty gritty financial negotiation processes, but I'd much rather have too much information in a book than not enough, so it is a very minor complaint.

Time to finish The Music of the Lord of the Rings!

• 4 weeks later...

I re-read High Fidelity and A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby over my vacation. I had a snow day on Tuesday and I read Hornby's How To Be Good in one sitting. He is easily my favorite author and I'm only missing 4 of his books for my collection. I'm currently reading Stephen King's The Gunslinger. It's the first in the Dark Tower series. I don't plan on reading them all in succession but we will see what happens.

I loved Decision Points. I won't say any more for fear of setting off a topic forbidden firestorm.

I'm about halfway through Doug Adams' LotR book, finished the themes section and about to move on to the score analysis. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm not learning too much new that I didn't already know about the scores, but I am learning quite a bit about basic music theory and terminology.

I'm reading a book about myself. It's all lies. I never called Tippi Hedren "a bitch-whipping whore".

Aside from the 20 or so books I've started to read and stopped at various points in each, I'm beginning my journey through Ray Harryhausen, Master of the Majicks Vol III.

Very slowly reading The Music of the LotR Films. Every few nights if I bed down before 2am (my standard shut-eye time) I read a few pages.

I'm currently up to the descriptions of the Elves' themes. Thankfully I know just enough about written music to be able to identify a basic melody from the examples, but at some point I'll have to put the music on while reading.

I'm also part way through Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure. I love the live show and he's a decent writer too.

I'm currently up to the descriptions of the Elves' themes. Thankfully I know just enough about written music to be able to identify a basic melody from the examples, but at some point I'll have to put the music on while reading.

For the vast majority of the themes I've been able to read them and play them in my head pretty well. I'm thinking of listening while reading for the full score breakdowns though.

Aside from the 20 or so books I've started to read and stopped at various points in each, I'm beginning my journey through Ray Harryhausen, Master of the Majicks Vol III.

I've been trying to finish everything that I start. I've kept a list and since September I've read 14 books.

The last have been:

The End of Eternity (Isaac Asimov). It surprised me a lot. Brilliant.

The Gods Themselves (Isaac Asimov). It didn't live up to expectations. A big chunk of the book is still really good, though.

The Word for World Is Forest (Ursula K. LeGuin). It neither suprised me nor disappointed me. Interesting, I guess.

Currently reading I, robot (Isaac Asimov).

I never cared for Asimov. But I seldom did with forced reading.

Impact by Douglas Preston, Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, currently reading The Cell by Stephen King, and Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child(I'm loving Agent Pendergast).

I had never read him, but lately I've been in need of more science-fiction. Stanislaw Lem is still my favourite, though.

we had to read something by him in school and it was not a good book.

my senior year in high school we had to read 33 books, most of them the tedious classics.

33? :o Too many books!

I didn't like forced reading, either.

I knew going into the class that would be the case, it was an honors elective class, I thought it would be an easy A. I was wrong.

My fourth grade had a contest where whoever read the most books would win a prize. They had to from the teacher's shelf, and you she had to ask you a few questions to prove that you actually read it. So ok, these were books on a ~4th grade reading level available in the early 90s, so they weren't anything difficult. Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, stuff like that. A long bus ride helped make time to read. Of course, I really wanted that trophy, so by the end of the school year, I was reading Sweet Valleys, Bobsey twins, and anything by Judy Blume to make the cut. ("Are you there God?" <shudder>) About 120 books were needed to blow the second place competition out of the water and earn the trophy.

All my writing classes in college -- and I took two more than I needed to -- ended up being glorified book review classes. Read the book and write a report summarizing it or offering your two cents. It didn't help when the prof actually wrote some of them. What a colossal waste of time when more technical classes suffered as a result.

I had never read him, but lately I've been in need of more science-fiction. Stanislaw Lem is still my favourite, though.

I have only read "Solaris", but I like it a lot. I even like both screen versions: they seem to bring out different aspects of the book.

My fourth grade had a contest where whoever read the most books would win a prize. They had to from the teacher's shelf, and you she had to ask you a few questions to prove that you actually read it. So ok, these were books on a ~4th grade reading level available in the early 90s, so they weren't anything difficult. Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, stuff like that. A long bus ride helped make time to read. Of course, I really wanted that trophy, so by the end of the school year, I was reading Sweet Valleys, Bobsey twins, and anything by Judy Blume to make the cut. ("Are you there God?" <shudder>) About 120 books were needed to blow the second place competition out of the water and earn the trophy.

All my writing classes in college -- and I took two more than I needed to -- ended up being glorified book review classes. Read the book and write a report summarizing it or offering your two cents. It didn't help when the prof actually wrote some of them. What a colossal waste of time when more technical classes suffered as a result.

Heh, I had the Hardy Boys series, however I did read the Bobsey twins as well while I would wait for my next batch of Hardy Boy books to come in. I tried Nancy Drew but found her rather dull. Of course there were The Three Investigators.

And I read Judy Blume as well as Beverly Cleary.

Yes, I read her books as well. They really are staples for kids growing up, and while my elementary years were the late 80s/early 90s, I know the books are at least a decade or two older.

I did some checking, they're much older than that. It appears they first appeared in the 50's. I didn't realize that when I was reading them as a youngster.

Apparently Mrs. Cleary is still writing at age 94.

I finished Black Fire and now I'm reading The Mist by Stephen King. I like to read 3 books at a time, I'm looking for a third one. I'll probably pick another Star Trek novel. I just gotta dig through my closet to find one.

I have only read "Solaris", but I like it a lot. I even like both screen versions: they seem to bring out different aspects of the book.

Solaris is lovely. I highly recommend The Star Diaries ;)

Apparently Mrs. Cleary is still writing at age 94.

...but probably not very quickly ;)

Solaris is lovely. I highly recommend The Star Diaries ;)

Thanks for that; I'll look out for it.

I'm forcing myself to stop buying more books for a period of time. I tend to buy entire series in the same order (to try to evade changing covers due to new printings... :P) and i end up buying alot i a row.

right now i have on the 'to-read list':

Dragonlance: (these i am re-reading the entire MW & TH series, since i bought them in english)

-legends (3 bks)

-second generation

-dragons of summer flame

-war of the souls (3 bks)

Rose of the prophet trilogy

Death gate cycle (7 bks)

Darksword series (5 bks)

Yep, i decided to buy all MW and TH books recently...

Making offs:

-SW

-ESB

-JP

-TLW

Charles Darwin:

-The origin of species (its a crime i have not yet read this one)

-The voyage of the beagle

And i would like to read or at least take a good look to:

-Collins bird guide

Eyewitness travel guides: (i recently decided i like to have these when i visit places, and most of them have been afterthougts...so i want to revive the trip memories)

-Turin

-Istanbul

-Egypt

-France

-Great Britain

-Italy

-Sweden

-Germany

-California

-Southwest USA & las Vegas

A nice list, eh?

I will say that while I'm not a fan of the Kindle or Nook, I hope in this digital age that this will encourage more kids to read and put down their cell phones, iPods and games.

I originally wasn't a fan of them, but the ability to instantly get books, and usually at a much cheaper price than retail, is very appealing. Of course I cant choose between the two, even though Amazon's library has more of what I want. That's one of the main draws of an iPad for me, the ability to access both the kindle and nook libraries.

Yeah, but for 3x the price! If you essentially need a netbook, then iPad would be the better choice, but don't get it just because you can't decide between the Kindle and Nook :P

I started Dragon Tattoo last night. I'm not immediately engrossed, but we'll see where it goes. The Kindle really is like reading paper though, very comfortable in hand and on the eyes.

@Mark, I agree with your sentiments. What I hope to see more of though, is textbooks in ePaper. Then I could definitely see devices like these being very useful for students. I have yet to buy most of my textbooks for this semester, but one class has it available on the Kindle. I was nearly going to buy it, but realized that I couldn't sell it back. That's the only problem I could think of with eTextbooks. They're still too expensive.