The Accidental Tourist

Josh500

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a lovely score and well worth getting if you can find a copy.

You must realize that unless it's a major Spielberg film, Harry Potter or Star Wars score, lesser works do not get discussed.

Threads are started but they soon disappear. I've given up trying to discuss them and if someone starts a thread I'll pipe with my admiration for them.

Well, I have neither seen the movie nor heard the score, but I found the score on ebay for 99 Euros (135 USD)! I was wondering if it was worth getting it.

That's a little too high, I've seen it much cheaper. Of course it depends how big of a JW fan you are and whether it's worth spending a $135.00 on a CD.

I bought the score for 40 dollars. Not cheap by any means, but since the Euro is pretty strong these days it wasn't too bad. It's a truly lovely score, I'm sure Miguel will have some interesting comments on it, it's one of his favorites.

I bought the score for 40 dollars. Not cheap by any means, but since the Euro is pretty strong these days it wasn't too bad. It's a truly lovely score, I'm sure Miguel will have some interesting comments on it, it's one of his favorites.

Really nice score, Got it on vinyl

That's a little too high, I've seen it much cheaper. Of course it depends how big of a JW fan you are and whether it's worth spending a $135.00 on a CD.

Yeah, I thought so, too. Guess I have to look for awhile longer . . . :)

Has anyone seen the movie? Or heard the score? Is it a good score? Does anyone own it? Any info on this soundtrack is appreciated!!!

I deeply love both the film and the score. What a coincidence: I watched again this great little movie just a few days ago and it moved me once again. It's a wonderfully written character piece, brimful of little moments full of compassion, irony and humanity. It also has a great, superb final sequence that always brings tears in my eyes, thanks also to the wonderful Williams' score.

Regarding the score, it's John Williams at his absolute best, imho. It's one of his "chamber" scores, low-key and restrained, but it's beautifully tailored around the film and really poignant. It's constructed around two major themes/motifs, both related to the main character (Macon, played by William Hurt) and his painful inner journey. It's basically a theme-and-variations score, but it's never dull. It also have a melancholic quality which I find really rapturous (well, that's me and my personality, btw). Williams perfectly captured the turmoil and the struggle of Macon, but also the tenderness of Muriel (superbly played by Geena Davis) and her unconditioned, true love for Macon.

It's a gem, don't miss it. You will not regret it.

:lol: "The Healing Process", The Accidental Tourist (John Williams)

It's a truly lovely score, I'm sure Miguel will have some interesting comments on it, it's one of his favorites.

The Accidental Tourist is in fact a favorite of mine, both film and score (or better yet, both score and film ;) ). I do relate deeply to the charachters on the story, on various levels, and I can't hardly imagine a better score for this lovely sweet, unpretencious little picture.

In my mind the whole thing is chamber sized, not only the music, but also the movie, and obviously, the chatachters.

It is all taken in a very personal and emotive way, yet not in the overblown emotional Hollywood fashion.

The music it self, basicaly a set of variations on Macon's sweet little theme (first introduced on the piano over the main titles, while he is packing for his next trip, and we get the first glimpse of the unbearable loss he had). There is proeminence for both piano and flute, always backed by strings and french horns.

If you're expecting big, wagnerian sized proclamations, this isn't your piece of pie. The wider this get is probably on "The Trip to London" of on the end credits piece "A Second Chance". The concert version, has a somewhat more dramatic and orchestral sized statement toward the end of it. But i still prefer the smaller versions on the soundtrack recording.

This is music for moments of introspection and quiet contemplation.

I did got the book on which the film is base recently, and hope to read it very soon, always listening to Williams beautiful written score, which by the way, is a replacement score. Bruce Broughton provided an original score, baroque styled that was rejected.

The Accidental Tourist is in fact a favorite of mine, both film and score (or better yet, both score and film ;) ). I do relate deeply to the charachters on the story, on various levels, and I can't hardly imagine a better score for this lovely sweet, unpretencious little picture.

In my mind the whole thing is chamber sized, not only the music, but also the movie, and obviously, the chatachters.

It is all taken in a very personal and emotive way, yet not in the overblown emotional Hollywood fashion.

The music it self, basicaly a set of variations on Macon's sweet little theme (first introduced on the piano over the main titles, while he is packing for his next trip, and we get the first glimpse of the unbearable loss he had). There is proeminence for both piano and flute, always backed by strings and french horns.

If you're expecting big, wagnerian sized proclamations, this isn't your piece of pie. The wider this get is probably on "The Trip to London" of on the end credits piece "A Second Chance". The concert version, has a somewhat more dramatic and orchestral sized statement toward the end of it. But i still prefer the smaller versions on the soundtrack recording.

This is music for moments of introspection and quiet contemplation.

I did got the book on which the film is base recently, and hope to read it very soon, always listening to Williams beautiful written score, which by the way, is a replacement score. Bruce Broughton provided an original score, baroque styled that was rejected.

Couldn't agree more Miguel, I adore the film and score too! The performances are first class - William Hurt has the repression act down to a T, as good as Anthony Hopkins. What do you think of the deleted scenes on the DVD Miguel, I thought some of them were really good and would've added to the film immensely?

Wow, so Williams has come in to replace Broughton twice. Although with Home Alone, I guess nothing was written before Williams signed on.Ray Barnsbury
For Accidental Tourist, one can talk about rejected score and a replacement composer. For Home Alone, there was a diferent affair, since Broughton decieded to bail out due schedule conflict, and another composer was asked to do the score... Totally diferent situation.
Couldn't agree more Miguel, I adore the film and score too! The performances are first class - William Hurt has the repression act down to a T, as good as Anthony Hopkins. What do you think of the deleted scenes on the DVD Miguel, I thought some of them were really good and would've added to the film immensely?
William Hurt is Macon. He kind of always have that kind of quietude to his persona that fits to so well to the charachter.I've actually watched the film again a couple of weeks ago, but didn't bothered to go through the extras again, which I only did when I first got the DVD. But I'll check them again later tonight.

This is absolutely one of my favourite Williams scores. I was interested to read Alexcremers say that "Stanley & Iris" is its "sister" score; I shall have to have to find myself a copy of Stanley & Iris, now.

This is absolutely one of my favourite Williams scores. I was interested to read Alexcremers say that "Stanley & Iris" is its "sister" score; I shall have to have to find myself a copy of Stanley & Iris, now.

I would say that Stanley and Iris has a more warmer, automnal tone to it.

Williams smaller scores as related to seasons would be an interesting thread. Like Saving Private Ryan feels like a cloudy September day at times. Jane Eyre has a late-Winter/early-Spring tone to it, too, I'd say.

I would say that Stanley and Iris has a more warmer, automnal tone to it.

That's funny you should say that, Miguel, because I don't think you can get more "autumnal" than The Accidental Tourist.

I just gave Accidental Tourist a listen after a long break and found it an absolutely charming score :D It is introspective and delicate. Music that I prefer to listen when I can completely concentrate on it. This way you can spot all the little nuances better. I wonder to whom does the main theme relate to? The whole score is a series of variations on the theme that goes through all these little changes and permutations and I would be interested to know how it all relates to the film and the characters.

And this score is so autumnal. It just conjures up that season very vividly. It is difficult to analyze what makes it so but there is this definite mood in the music that suggests autumn. Melancholy, quiet introspection, nostalgia. It's all in orchestration and the colour of the music.

I just gave Accidental Tourist a listen after a long break and found it an absolutely charming score :D It is introspective and delicate. Music that I prefer to listen when I can completely concentrate on it. This way you can spot all the little nuances better. I wonder to whom does the main theme relate to? The whole score is a series of variations on the theme that goes through all these little changes and permutations and I would be interested to know how it all relates to the film and the characters.

And this score is so autumnal. It just conjures up that season very vividly. It is difficult to analyze what makes it so but there is this definite mood in the music that suggests autumn. Melancholy, quiet introspection, nostalgia. It's all in orchestration and the colour of the music.

See what I mean, Miguel?

obviously you've missed all the props this score gets here, there are scores less talked about believe, in other words you're wrong.

Guest macrea

I missed the boat on this one. I thought the movie was dreadful and the score depressing in the extreme. The end titles (which are on the CD twice) is the only piece that doesn't apply and it sufficiently states the main theme.

For Me , the one that sounds and feels(and even smells) most Autumnal is Stepmom.

Especially the End Credits(The Days Between?)

I agree completely. Another autumnal score there :P

I wonder to whom does the main theme relate to? The whole score is a series of variations on the theme that goes through all these little changes and permutations and I would be interested to know how it all relates to the film and the characters.

The main theme, as I interpret it, is closely connected to the main character, Macon. Its the more forward-looking theme that represents his moving on in his life, his relationship with the quirky Geena Davis character - but more linked to him than his relationship.

The secondary theme is the simple, four note, repeating motif which I think is loosely connected to the idea of the weight of the past or at other times the familiar, comfortable side of life that often keeps him from moving on. The final cue has these two themes playing off eachother to operatic proportions in one of my favorite JW cues. The four note motif is presented in a very tragic kind of way as he is reminded of his late son and we also get very conflicted statements of Macon's theme. Then finally, we get a redemptive version of Macon's theme as he sheds all his baggage (literally and figuratively) and decides to to be with the other woman.

There's also the minor-key, melancholy theme that appears in several cues which isn't completely clear to me but seems to relate to the weight of the decisions that he has to make in his life and the way the tragic past still haunts him.

I think its a very good example of JW's ability to write very direct, simple themes that are put to sophisticated effect in the sense that JW goes beyond scoring it as a tradtional love triange with competing love themes or something like that. He gets to what the "themes" are in the movie and finds a way to give the ideas musical expression which is no easy task, I would think, though he sometimes makes it seem easy cause the solutions he comes up with work so elegantly.

- Adam