43 members have voted

1. 1. Who should score the Hobbit?

• John Williams
    • Howard Shore

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So which 3 of you voted for Williams...?
perhaps the guy with the Jaws 2 AV, I think his name is Joe.

Those two users are easily miserable enough to wish JW would take the reins from HS.

indy4, GreatEye. Meet Joe:

who cares,

:D

Yeah defo. And perhaps the guy with the Jaws 2 AV, I think his name is Joe.

Those two users are easily miserable enough to wish JW would take the reins from HS.

who the f*** are you to say that?

The hobbit isn't JW's music, nor is it howard shores, don't be a foolish to think either of them even wants to do it, why not take a wait and see approach.

and by the way dont be a moron, I've not even voted yet, nor do I plan too,

Uh...yeah they did.

Elfman worked for Tim Burton marvelously.

Zimmer and Howard worked for Nolan marvelously.

Of course a vocal minority wanted Batman to take flight with swirly strings and xylophones playing in the background in Begins.

So when they got an industrial sound, they slit their wrists.

I wouldn't say Zimmer and Howard worked marvelously. They didn't hurt it, necessarily, but I think that's more a testament to the quality of the film than the quality of the score. There are some good ideas there, but it was definitely not a satisfying score.

And on topic, there's no question that if it's going to be made, Jackson and Shore should do The Hobbit before anyone else tackles Tolkien on film.

The hobbit isn't JW's music, nor is it howard shores, don't be a foolish to think either of them even wants to do it, why not take a wait and see approach.

Hehe, relax. I was merely making fun. Is that not allowed? I guess not...

Sorry I apparently angered you so!

And on topic, there's no question that if it's going to be made, Jackson and Shore should do The Hobbit before anyone else tackles Tolkien on film.

Jackson was already fired...that was a post a long time ago.

I heard he was fired, but I was under the impression that essentially all that has to happen is for MGM to wait a year or two for the rights agreement to end and they can hire Jackson to make it.

Hehe, relax. I was merely making fun. Is that not allowed? I guess not...

Sorry I apparently angered you so!

oh yeah I can see the humor in calling someone miserable, yes, Im laughing on the inside, like a clown, like a clown under bed with ever growing arms, reaching out to wrap your neck in an ever tightening grip, choking, and, oops sorry, had a Poltergeist moment.

as to this issue again, why not since this is a completely new director and new direction, and not related to the LOTR films, let the producers and the director choose the direction of the film. why should the new director be pigeonholed into using Shores themes. Why not let another composer make his own.

Of course he has, but I have no doubt it will have the fate of "failure" written all over it.

And that's not necessarily because of lacking quality, but because Howard Shore's music and intuition *is* Middle-Earth.

In this case, let me quote your sig:

Nothing happened. Nothing continued to happen. More Nothing. The Return of Nothing. Son of Nothing. Nothing Rides Again. Nothing and Abbot and Costello meet the Wolfman.

There may have been the film "Abbott and Costello meet Joe The Jokeless".

said the man with the avatar with the grossest looking human on earth.

don't FUCK, with my Abbott and Costello

There may have been the film "Abbott and Costello meet Joe The Jokeless".

said the man with the avatar with the grossest looking human on earth.

don't FUCK, with my Abbott and Costello

Tensions running high in the General Topics...

• 1 month later...

Who should score The Hobbit?

Well if it's a high paying gig as I suspect it will be (a million plus?), I think I should score it.

I'ver never scored a film before, or written a melody to be honest, but for a million bucks I'll certainly try really hard and I won't take too many coffee or toilet breaks.

Call me whatever you want, but I'd rather hear a Williams score to The Hobbit. I liked some of Shore's work on LOTR, but overall, it didn't impress me much. I understand that the vast majority of people would prefer that Shore does it, and that's cool with me. But if it were my choice, I'd pick Williams.