Which do you like more (3)?

Josh500

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace vs. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Phantom Menace
    • Philosopher's Stone

This is the last poll comparing two JW scores, I promise! (At least for this week! :))

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace vs. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Which score do you prefer?

Now, I would think, This one's easy, PS has Hedwig's Theme and, more importantly, Harry's Wondrous World. Then I would think of Duel of the Fates and The Flag Parade and He is the Chosen One (I don't know why, but I love this cue).

Truth is, both scores contain some of the best JW writings of recent years, and honestly, if asked, I don't know which I'd pick.

Interestingly, IMO both scores work better in the movies than on the albums. The albums have the concert pieces, of course, which are brilliant, but the rest . . . well . . .

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitelly "The Phantom Menace" - one of John's best. I don't even like "Philosopher's Stone" very much. For me it his weakest HP effort, except great themes that I don't have anything against.

Sorcerer's Stone of course. It's his most original effort since Schindler's List and Jurassic Park. The richness of themes reminds of the old days of Last Crusade, Far and Away and Hook.

Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels, but by far not as memorable as SS. Btw people always call Duel of the Fates and Flag Parade as the best cues. In my view these are the blandest ones. I prefer the aggressiveness of The Droid Battle and the colorful orchestrations of The Swim to Otoh Gunga and Audience with Boss Nass.

Btw people always call Duel of the Fates and Flag Parade as the best cues. In my view these are the blandest ones.

They may not be the best cues--that's a matter of taste--but if you call them the blandest cues, I can just do this: :)

Philosopher's Stone for me - it was a welcome to return to the magical themes and overall classic Williams sound that had been missing for some years.

I enjoy some parts of Phantom Menace but will always loath Augie's Municipal Band, Jar-Jar Binks theme and Anakin's theme is rather dull IMO.

I'd rank "Anakin's Theme" as my favourite woodwind track by Williams. There's a moodiness, but tenderness to it that I find fascinating. The last few seconds are rather spine-tingling. Nothing in the first Potter score did that for me, I'm afraid.

I'd rank "Anakin's Theme" as my favourite woodwind track by Williams. There's a moodiness, but tenderness to it that I find fascinating. The last few seconds are rather spine-tingling. Nothing in the first Potter score did that for me, I'm afraid.

There are many spine-tingling moments in PS. One example would be A Change of Season. That English horn solo is enough to make my spine tingle . . . with pleasure, that is.

There are many spine-tingling moments in PS. One example would be A Change of Season. That English horn solo is enough to make my spine tingle . . . with pleasure, that is.

Really nice track, but didn't grab me like "Anakin's Theme". Sorry.

Finally a poll with 2 candidates worth voting for.

Of the 2 scores I'd vote for the Potter one. TPM is very good, and at times brilliant, but it is carying the huge weight of the original trilogy on it's back, and it doesn't quite add up to those 3 (even though it comes closest)

When I want to listen to just some Harry Potter music, I usually pull out PS.

If I want to listen to just some Star Wars music, I don't often reach for TPM.

Of the 2 scores I'd vote for the Potter one. TPM is very good, and at times brilliant, but it is carying the huge weight of the original trilogy on it's back, and it doesn't quite add up to those 3 (even though it comes closest)

When I want to listen to just some Harry Potter music, I usually pull out PS.

If I want to listen to just some Star Wars music, I don't often reach for TPM.

Now, that's not really fair, is it? You should compare these two brilliant scores on their own merits. Try to discount the original Star Wars trilogy for the moment . . . and compare the music exclusively written for TPM with the music exclusively written for PS.

In both cases the OSTs are pretty much lacking. The complete scores as intended are both absolutely awesome and I have not the faintest clue which I would choose. They're both very good indeed.

I'm sorry that is impossible.

Both the film and the score try hard to make several linbks to the earlier Star wars works. They were never ment to be judged as seperate entities.

Well, it's not impossible for me.

TPM incorporates themes from the original trilogy, sure, but JW wrote so many new themes for this one . . . it should be able to be judged by its own merits . . . but whatever!

It isn't just about the themes, you should know that.

Well, you sound like you don't even wanna try!

Just put on both albums and compare the new music. Is that so hard?

I've listened to TPM more times then most people here, I know it very well. I most likely listened to it a lot more then PS.

So I don't have to try anything, who the hell do you think you are talking too, some bloody novice!

It's my opinion, if you don't like it, then don't ask for it!

Just thought, TPM is actually one of my favourite recorded albums - LSO have never sounded better with lovely crisp brass and a rich timpani balance.

So I don't have to try anything, who the hell do you think you are talking too, some bloody novice!

It's my opinion, if you don't like it, then don't ask for it!

Who says you have to? I'm thinking I'm talking to someone who can't even compare TPM to PS! That's all.

I have a feeling that JW poured every once of energy into creating these scores . . .

It's not a question of which is better. They are both great scores, fantastic, brilliant.

It's a question of which do you like more? It's just a matter of taste.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

The more diverse of the two, and probably the best of the prequel scores, although a proper release has unfortunately not been made available to showcase that.

Much like the original trilogy, each world has its own sound, the score has both interesting silent underscore and full-out bombast action music. Williams feels at home in this world. Listening to TPM is like pulling an old warm blanket around you, except without the smell and stuffiness of an old warm blanket.

PS, while featuring some excellent themes and cues, feels too much like a variation on Hook and Home Alone at times. And it can be a tad sappy as well.

Listening to TPM is like pulling an old warm blanket around you, except without the smell and stuffiness of an old warm blanket.

Interesting because I so wanted TPM to feel like that for me, but it just didn't.

PS feels like the Williams I grew up with.

The more diverse of the two, and probably the best of the prequel scores, although a proper release has unfortunately not been made available to showcase that.

Much like the original trilogy, each world has its own sound, the score has both interesting silent underscore and full-out bombast action music. Williams feels at home in this world. Listening to TPM is like pulling an old warm blanket around you, except without the smell and stuffiness of an old warm blanket.

PS, while featuring some excellent themes and cues, feels too much like a variation on Hook and Home Alone at times. And it can be a tad sappy as well.

I agree.

Perhaps I should be more specific:

It's what I expect a proper release of it will be like. The current one feels like a blanket that's ripped, torn and looped at various points.

There's a lot of warmth in Philosopher's Stone as well, btw, although of a different kind.

Whoa, now it's 8:4? Last time I checked, it was 4:4.

Where did the 4 votes come from? Florida? :)

Seriously, Marc . . . are you allowed to cast more than one vote?

These are both excellent scores. The Phantom Menace is consistently excellent, however, and the only listening option should be the complete score (edited as best as it can be, anyway). On the other hand, I find the album presentation of Philosopher's Stone completely satisfying. There are only two or three missing cues I wish had been included.

Just add the Great Hall entrance, and the House Cup cues and I'd be completely satisfied with the PS album. But I still think it's great as it is, one of Williams' better albums.

Just add the Great Hall entrance, and the House Cup cues and I'd be completely satisfied with the PS album. But I still think it's great as it is, one of Williams' better albums.

And the train station cue is a good one too

And the train station cue is a good one too

The phantom menace also has the Star wars theme. Several times :)

Well said Marc, no sense in repeating it so TPM is better to me.

This was a tough decision. I think because RotS is my favorite prequel score, I'll go with Potter (but then again PoA is my favorite Potter score). PM has some great moments, but when I hear SS, I feel like I'm part of that world of magic. Perhaps it's because I've linked the music with the books so strongly, so I'm biased, but I'm voting Potter.

I voted for the score that brought Williams back to full form. The Philosopher’s Stone. Vintage Williams, from the themes to the orchestration, it's just awesome.

The Phantom Menace even though good it doesn't measure up to the PS. Maybe because TPS was a fresh project for Williams. It allowed him to write fresh music. It feels really inspired.

The Phantom Menace. It's one of Williams' overall best in the last ten years and definitely the best of the Prequels.

If you can't decide, just imagine this:

You're back in the year 2001, and you don't have an iPod but just a regular old Sony Diskman. You're going on a family vacation, but your mother tells you you can only take one CD with you (as a punishment, because you've been bad). So you have to choose between PM and PS . . . all the other albums have been locked up in a cupboard. Your mother relented and left the PM and PS out because she knew they were the most important to you. But you have to choose between them. Which would you pick?

:D