The Most Underrated John Williams Score # 8

Sandor

I've compiled a list of the 10 most underrated scores by Williams.

The term "underrated" is in my opinion mostly subjected to personal taste. There are no "official" or factual ways to determine whether a score is "underrated" or "rightfully appreciated".

In that sense, a singular score can be viewed as 'underrated' by one group, and 'overrated' by others (Saving Private Ryan comes to mind).

When labelling a score "underrated" one uses various, different criteria to come to that determination.

I've used the following:

The underrated scores in my list have had little to no recognition during Award ceremonies (the Academy Awards, Grammy Awards, etc.) In fact, some of these scores have not even been nominated.

Also, the underrated scores in my list are seldomly discussed by (film) music fanatics, and are not part of the body of scores that the general public associates with 'the great John Williams scores'.

So, that's it. Here we go.

THE MOST UNDERRATED JOHN WILLIAMS SCORE # 8 - THE EIGER SANCTION

Eiger_sanction-LP.jpg

This score has one huge problem: the sound quality. It's terrible.

The music itself however is great. The soundtrack presents an incredible melodic and varied selection of themes and arrangments. The main theme in particular is memorable and beautiful, although the chord progression is rather cliched. The theme is put through various incarnations, from jazz to symphonic. It's one of the most long-lined themes Williams has ever written.

The second theme that stands out is the one heard in George Sets The Pace (wonderful guitar solo!) and Training With George (very baroque-sounding). It's these diverse orchestrations that lifts the score above the "standard scores" usually written for these kind of films.

But there is more. A lot more. The beautiful adagio-like The Icy Ascent for example. Had this been available in better quality than it could have been one of the defining compositions in Williams' career.

The guitar and rock arrangment of Friends And Enemies is wonderful, and another testament to the body of styles and ideas Williams incorporates for The Eiger Sanction.

All in all a score that it overshadowed by Jaws (from the same year) and Star Wars (two years later) but which should have taken a rightful place as one the best scores by Williams from the 1970's. It may not be a symphonic masterpiece in the line of Jaws, CE3K, Alien, Star Trek TMP or Superman (not by a long shot), but it's highly entertaining and unique in it's own right.

If you've never heard the score or the main theme, I could urge you to check it out. You could find yourself an underrated Williams gem.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally one I can truly agree with you on. Too bad Eastwood and Williams didn't team up for more films.

A very underated Williams score, in fact several cues give you a glimpse at what Williams would compose for CE3K.

While I don't let the sound cloud my judgement on how good a film score is, a remastered complete version would be welcome.

The only thing I own from this soundtrack is the opening track. It's great. I watched the movie some years ago, but remember very little from the actual score. I wasn't particularly impressed by it, but now I'm more open to less bombastic JW's compositions so I could probably appreciate it more.

Whenever this score has come up for discussion before, I have generally chipped in to trumpet my appreciation of it and will do so again! I really believe it to be one of John Williams's best scores.

I would be interested to know why Eastwood and Williams have not worked on a movie since The Eiger Sanction. By all accounts Eastwood was very complimentary about the score and even expressed some disappointment at the time that the music was not nominated for an Academy award (even though it would have been up against Williams's Jaws from the same year).

The album is great but, as so often seems to be the case with 70s scores, is an eccentrically sequenced re-recording that misses out great chunks of some of the best music. Almost none of the cues from the climactic mountain-climbing sequences in the Alps are represented on the album (with the exception of The Eiger and The Icy Ascent). Many of them are classic Williams cues and deserve to be heard in full.

I love this score, too. I found an old beat up LP of this years and years ago when I was first getting into JW and I fell in love with it immediately. The out of print CD to this was a holy grail for me for the first few years of my JW fandom. This score is second only to Temple of Doom on my wishlist for a complete & remastered release. I really hope Varese or somebody rereleases this score Fury-style on a two disc set.

As I already said Alex:

The main theme in particular is memorable and beautiful, although the chord progression is rather cliched.

Apparently the main theme is pretty much the same as the lullaby from Pan's Labyrinth....

I can understand how similarities can be made, but Pan's Labyrinth is completely different, and is one of the best scores of last year. It should have won the Academy Award.

unlike #9, this is a daring choice, I commend you, but its lack of availability will always make it an also ran.

I love the avatar, Joe.

This is another great JW score, and I agree that it's underrated.

The Main Titles show once more the variety of JW, and they are very beautiful.

Fifty Miles of Desert is like the classic adventrue piece, with those low piano notes, heard much in the origianl Twiligh Zones.

Training With George is a rather "mischevious" piece, I love it.

And there's many more that I love.

One comment I have to all those who don't have this score yet, or have shelved it after a first listen: for me at least, the score was very hard to get into the first time I heard it. After a couple listens, I've come to love it as much as I do now. Just give it a couple of chances, it may grow on you!

My copy is gathering dust at an alarming rate....not as alarming as the 60 feet of dust on my Zimmer cd collection.

You have a very dusty house, Hitch. My CD's have no dust at all, and I rarely take them off the shelf after I put them up there. If your Eiger Sanction is a burden that requires cleaning, I'll happily take it off your hands for I have yet to own a copy.

This score has one huge problem: the sound quality. It's terrible.

I'm listening right now. I think the CD sounds not that bad. It has the typical early 70s Williams sound like Jaws. The 70s disaster movie sound.

I enjoy the sound on the CD. Adds a mood to the piece. I'm not saying I wouldn't like a sparkling recording.....but I think it is perfectly fine as it is. It is most certainly underrated.

Apparently the main theme is pretty much the same as the lullaby from Pan's Labyrinth....

I can understand how similarities can be made, but Pan's Labyrinth is completely different, and is one of the best scores of last year. It should have won the Academy Award.

I don't hear a real similarity.....but Pan's Labrynth is definitely one of the most overrated recent scores. People are so starved for melody and orchestra, they pounce on this as if it the great score since sliced bread (which was very well scored, I'm told). The Queen was definitely robbed, and Thomas Newman would have been a nice second place.

You have a very dusty house, Hitch. My CD's have no dust at all, and I rarely take them off the shelf after I put them up there. If your Eiger Sanction is a burden that requires cleaning, I'll happily take it off your hands for I have yet to own a copy.

Since Mother broke her hip, she hasn't been....what's the phrase....she hasn't been herself lately. As for my copy of "The Eiger Sanction", head to Switzerland.

This is indeed a forgotten gem, i'll have to dig it out and play it again as it has been awhile.

Comments relating to the sound quality, I think it was more the fact that some cues (namely the ascent cue which builds to a great crescendo) sounded like they needed a bigger ensemble as it was a relatively small orchestra from what I remember.

I enjoy the sound on the CD. Adds a mood to the piece. I'm not saying I wouldn't like a sparkling recording.....but I think it is perfectly fine as it is. It is most certainly underrated.

I don't hear a real similarity.....but Pan's Labrynth is definitely one of the most overrated recent scores. People are so starved for melody and orchestra, they pounce on this as if it the great score since sliced bread (which was very well scored, I'm told). The Queen was definitely robbed, and Thomas Newman would have been a nice second place.

At the begining of last years Oscar telecast when they had the opening with all the nominees giving a brief statement, the composer for Pan was whistling the theme and my first reaction was why would someone be whisting Williams Eiger Sanction theme.

The main theme with solo trumpet is as seventies as sideburns - I love it. It's actual a rather wistful, plaintive sort of tune, particularly effective on solo clarinet as it appears later in the score. And the training music is impossibly catchy.