What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of all three Hopkins Lecter movies. Red Dragon is the least remarkable of the three, but I love the film. Norton is fine, I guess. but the rest of the cast is fantastic, down to some of the smallest parts (Fine, Mary Lousie-Parker has very little to do). Fiennes is great. Watson is very good. Phillip Seymor Hoffman digs into his little role. Harvey Keitel is solid. Dante Ferretti's cinematography adds class to the picture. Elfman's score is excellent (The last Elfman score I absolutely love), adding immeasurabley to the film, evident most noticabely during the main titles, which are terrific in there own right. Hopkins seems more and more out of place in the film with repeated viewings, but his scenes make for wonderful vignettes. It's not really a Lecter movie, but a terrific police procedural. (Incidentally, I have similar feelings towards The Sum of All Fears, which could have been really bad, but is made very good by it's supporting cast, as well as it's direction, cinematography, editing and music).

I saw Music for The Movies: Georges Delerue on DVD. I was quite pleasantly surprised that my DVD store stocked such an item (they have all four in the series). Unfortunately, the documentry itself is not very good. The quality is terrible. Even granting that it's a 16 year old TV program, the cinematography is quite bad. Obviously there was very little budget there- a lot of the film clips are just the camera shooting a TV screen. It is especially awkward when Oliver Stone is interviewed, and he turns on a tape of Salvador for the doc. Stone's interview is also awkward in how highly he speaks of Delerue and Salvador, entirely neglecting to talk about their relationship on Platoon. The rest is rather aimless interviews with editors and with Ken Russell, ones that I did not find to be particularly informative. The only thing that saved the documentry was the footage of Delerue himself, talking about film scoring, and, in a partiuclar, showing parts of Don't Shoot the Composer, a short film Ken Russell made starring Delerue.

Not particularly recommended.

I thought Red Dragon was an O.K. film. I haven't seen it in awhile, but I really hate Brett Ratner. I might give it another shot because it has Edward Norton and Ralph Fiennes. I remember liking the end.

Silence Of The Lambs is pretty much a perfect movie.

Hannibal was also really really good. Probably one of Scott's better films of the 00's. Score is great too, and the acting was all top-notch.

Those trio of films are all pretty decent when put together, only problem was that Hannibal Rising was made.

I completely agree with you about Silence of the Lambs, it was also pretty much a perfect book too, one of the rare times I think both the book and film are equal.

Red Dragon is a near perfect book too. Neither film even begins to touch it.

Hannibal however I completely disagree with, its a bad a film as there is, with a terrible story from a terrible book, and some of the worst cinematography of any A list film in this century.

Hannibal Rising was better than the other Hannibal film.

Hannibal Rising was better than the other Hannibal film.

I agree. In fact, I just saw Hannibal Rising last night, it turned out to be much better than I expected. However, while I was watching it, there was something very familiar about the plot, it seemed like a bloody rip-off of RoboCop or V for Vendetta. Something happens to him that traumatizes him, his humanity symbolically dies, and throughout the rest of the film, he goes on a manhunt for the half a dozen crooks who did something very bad to him. It was interesting to see that he became so twisted because of his lust for revenge.

I prefer Michael Mann's Manhunter to Red Dragon.

Well, what do you know, me too! Red Dragon's only good quality is Fiennes and the girl.

I don't understand why Norton still gets so much credit. His acting in Red Dragon is just plain bad. His later roles have all been so very unconvincing to me that I came to the conclusion that Norton's palette is extremely limited. I totally lost my interest in him.

Hannibal Rising is ridiculously bad, both premise (explaining, explaining) and execution. It richteously has gotten a merely 15% over at Tomatoes. That's a record, I believe.

Hannibal, which I hated at first, I now find delicious! It all depends on how you go in (meaning: don't go in thinking Silence of the Lambs 2).

Jaws: Now I'm sure! Spielberg used to be a much better director. He lost the ability to make things natural and spontanious. But not so in the old days. Just watch the scenes about the family life of Brody or the three guys interacting on the boot. Realism (not the shark) combined with a cinematic touch are what makes this film great. Spielberg's enthusiasm is literally dripping off the screen. Bill Butler's camera work is wonderful indeed.

Alex

Indeed. I myself have recently become more and more convinced that that is Spielberg's very best film.

I believe myself and Alex have always loved the film. And if your level means I need to love all Paul Verhoven films, I'll pass, thanks.

Finally both of you have seen the light.

Welcome to my level.

The only problem is that people never believe a film about a monster shark could be any good. I don't know how often i referred to 'Jaws' as a brilliant movie just to instantly lose all my cinephile credibilities.

Recently i forced a friend to watch it and he reviewd it like 'Kubrick it ain't' and we got into a big argument about intellectual pretensions and films, a battle which seemingly never is won.

It IS a great film. And i even find the rubber shark more menacing than most i've seen on National Geographic!

Where's that latte I ordered 3 years ago??? Come on, Jim...get your finger out!!!

Weren't you the blonde, curly, zitted bloke I sent to Starbucks in Sydney in 2005 to get me a latte?

People at uni used to piss me off how they'd bag Jaws as a crappy artless mainstream flick without merit that was more unintentionally funny than anything else.

Idiots! I hated uni!!

Yes, Jaws may not be a very meaningfull film. But as an excercise in pure film making, it is very hard to find anything that's better.

I'm sure Kubrick himself would have had an appriciation for it.

Kubrick was dazzled by Nescafe commercials....he's not as demanding in his tastes as his films might imply.

L'ANIMAL

a french commedy from 1977,featuring Jean Paul Belmondo and Raquel Welch

a very enjoyable french commedy.Belmondo has become ona of my favourite actors.

Regards,

Kung Fu Panda (***1/2/****)

in DLP

Prepare for awesomeness. The tagline says it all. A great film, with great animation and hilarious moments throughout. Not to mention some great action sequences that are surprisingly rare in animated films. Jack Black steals the movie, and is the reason why it is so great. This is definitely one of DreamWorks better animation films, along with Antz, Chicken Run, and Shrek 2. The score was filled with awesomeness as well. It felt like Hans took a step back on this one and let John do more of the work. John Powell is the greatest animation composer, I love him! Also, Jack Black's singing in "Kung Fu Fighting" made a crappy song actually fun to listen to. If you plan on seeing it, stick around after the credits.

"Squadoosh."

I'll pass on Kungfu panda, in fact I'll pass on most of the cgi cartoons, hell Finding Nemo was the biggest disappointment, I was expecting greatness, instead I got a bottle of sleeping pills of a movie.

Semi Pro.

We stopped the DVD halfway through. Awful film! I barely laughed once in the first 45 minutes. Even Will Ferrell couldn't save that turkey. It's the first Will Ferrell film I haven't found hysterical from start to finish. Could be the beginning of the end of his run of great comedies. Will Ferrell's "Ace Venture: When Nature Calls"...

Of course, it just felt weird seeing an Indy film you never saw before.

Yeah. Plus I got to notice a few more details at the beginning that made the script a little more focused.

I'm sure he posted his opinions in the special Indy Forum.

Sure, but let him express his emotions in the special Morlock thread! OTOH, why should he, we all know he doesn't give a damn.

I'll pass on Kungfu panda, in fact I'll pass on most of the cgi cartoons, hell Finding Nemo was the biggest disappointment, I was expecting greatness, instead I got a bottle of sleeping pills of a movie.

I agree that most CGI cartoons are crap these days, but I have found that Pixar generally puts out some great stuff (though I didn't like Ratatouille). The only good CGI that Dreamworks made was Shrek--Shrek 2 sucked, and I didn't see Shrek the Third. Madagascar was dumb, and after that, I sorta gave up on most non-Pixar CGI cartoons. Though I will say The Polar Express was brilliant.

Finding Nemo and Toy Story are the best Pixar films, IMO (though I haven't seen Cars). The part with Nemo in the fish tank is pretty boring, but the rest of the film is fantastic. Dory cracks me up everytime.

I like DreamWorks Animation more than Pixar. I'm not a fan of Toy Story at all, or anything related to Randy Newman. Ratatouille, The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo are Pixar's best. No thanks to Monsters Inc. or Cars, bad films. A Bug's Life was O.K.

Antz, Chicken Run, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar, The Prince Of Egypt, The Road To El Dorado, Over The Hedge, Shrek, Shrek 2, and Wallace And Gromit are all fantastic animated movies.

Honestly, Shrek The Third and Shark Tale are their only bad films.

no Steef, cause I still love Beauty and the Beast, and Little Mermaid.

Did you at least see Rob Cordrry's scene when he walks in on his wife with Woody Harrelson? That was the only funny part in the movie.

Although what I saw of the film contained no moments that could even remotely be called "highlights", that scene was one of the least un-funny parts.

Greatest animated films ever made (in no order):

Finding Nemo

Toy Story

The Polar Express

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

The Lion King

Pocahontas

Shrek

How The Grinch Stole Christmas

The Incredibles

A lot of those films have been released fairly recently. Missing a lot of history there.