Jablonsky - best score

wartex

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite is Steamboy. No competition there. Next would be either Transformers or D-War. They're both pretty good. The TFVG isn't bad either.

I only have, and have only heard, Steamboy, which I like, but I have read much praise of his music for Walt Disney World-- "Celebration" I think the title is.

Obviously you know nothing about the man. You only associate him with Hans Zimmer and therefore assume he is bad without any real knowledge of his filmography.

I like Hans Zimmer, and even I agree with Henry Buck.

Let's see, I've heard:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Island

Transformers

Steamboy

The first two...are...unlistenable. Transformer is meh, uninspired, Batman Begins 1.5, the best bits from it are by Zimmer. Steamboy is generic media ventures (I see a difference between MV and Hans Zimmer, one group has no talent, one man does) score done on orchestra. Add to that its action parts are just regurgitations of Pearl Harbor.

For MV orchestra done right, go listen to Klaus Badelt's The Promise...which is a magnificent score, then tell me Steamboy is good.

Let's see, I've heard:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Island

Transformers

Steamboy

The first two...are...unlistenable. Transformer is meh, uninspired, Batman Begins 1.5, the best bits from it are by Zimmer. Steamboy is generic media ventures (I see a difference between MV and Hans Zimmer, one group has no talent, one man does) score done on orchestra. Add to that its action parts are just regurgitations of Pearl Harbor.

For MV orchestra done right, go listen to Klaus Badelt's The Promise...which is a magnificent score, then tell me Steamboy is good.

The Promise is an excellent score, I know. Steamboy is decent, nothing special IMO, but D-War and the "My Name Is Lincoln" track from The Island are great. Also, his score to Anywhere But Here is very good. I think I can safely say no one on this forum has heard that score besides me.

Also, his score to Anywhere But Here is very good. I think I can safely say no one on this forum has heard that score besides me.

Didn't Danny Elfman score that?

Also, his score to Anywhere But Here is very good. I think I can safely say no one on this forum has heard that score besides me.

I have heard thirty-second demos that actually. What I heard was really good, although I have not listened to the whole soundtrack.

That's like asking what kind of cancer is the best. Melanoma sounds good! The chance of mortality is very low if you head it off early.

No, it's like asking, out of those who enjoy some of his music, which they prefer.

Believe me, the day Jablonsky signs on to score Deathly Hallows, I truly will weep and beg for Williams to return, but otherwise just try listening to some more of his stuff before you start comparing him to cancer.

Steamboy for example - a very orchestral, thematic approach to scoring. I got it a while ago and the praise it gets (in the context of Jablonsky's talent) around here is justified IMO.

That's like asking what kind of cancer is the best. Melanoma sounds good! The chance of mortality is very low if you head it off early.

No, it's like asking, out of those who enjoy some of his music, which they prefer.

And as the history of this forum suggests, this is not the best place to ask that.

You should not bash him that much, the guy can compose if he really wants. Steamboy is one example, one of my big favourites. It is like Rocketeer's little brother. :)

You should not bash him that much, the guy can compose if he really wants. Steamboy is one example, one of my big favourites. It is like Rocketeer's little brother. :)

Yeeeaahh...I'm gonna have to go ahead and, uh, disagree with you on that...

It is definitely a much more interesting and enjoyable score than Transformers, but it's not really one of my favorites. There are much worse things you could listen to, though. Out of the two Jablonsky scores I've heard, Steamboy is easily the better one.

Nothing wrong with The Island - an underrated score for an underrated movie....the main reason it failed was because it required a brain and some imagination.

You should not bash him that much, the guy can compose if he really wants. Steamboy is one example, one of my big favourites. It is like Rocketeer's little brother. :P

Yeeeaahh...I'm gonna have to go ahead and, uh, disagree with you on that...

It is definitely a much more interesting and enjoyable score than Transformers, but it's not really one of my favorites. There are much worse things you could listen to, though. Out of the two Jablonsky scores I've heard, Steamboy is easily the better one.

Oh definitely more interesting than Transformers. And much more interesting than Silvestri in general... ;)

Nothing wrong with The Island - an underrated score for an underrated movie....the main reason it failed was because it required a brain and some imagination.

I will agree with the underrated movie part.

To be honest, although I am a fan of Jablonsky, even I was not particularly impressed with the score to The Island. It has its moments, but scores that are 90% percussion never really hold my interest.

Wow. Which scores of Silvestri's were less interesting than Steamboy?

None, I'd rather listen to Delta Force for 24 hours straight than Jablonsky's music.

Wow. Which scores of Silvestri's were less interesting than Steamboy?

Exhausting task, I do not want to make a huge list. But I can say almost all. Silvestri simply has problems to stand out. Jablonsky has done it once at least. I am not cursing Silvestri, still waiting for his better than three star score.

Hmm...I recognize that Silvestri has employed filler scoring methods in cues (strings holding a long note being the chief offender), but I fail to see how scores like Back to the Future Parts I, II, and III, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Stuart Little, and The Polar Express are less interesting than Jablonsky's. Please, enlighten me. Maybe I missed something--are there any specific cues from either composer that jump to mind as more/less interesting? Also, three stars out four or five?