Incredible: E.T. SE

Luke Skywalker

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But shall we have the 1982 version of the film? If so, will it have a shorter making-of due to the space of the film in the second disc?

BTW, Luke, remember it was here the first place HP DVD was released. I know, it's only one exception. But there should be more expeptions.

Some information on the DVD giftset content:

1.The CD is the 20th Anniversary Edition. The CD insert is tucked into the folding 4-disc digipack.

2.The ten minute John Williams interview contains some excellent footage, none of which I've seen before, including Williams demoing the themes to Spielberg, and some recording session footage.

3.The featurette on the 20th Anniversary Edition premiere runs for around 17 minutes, and includes a great deal of rehearsal footage and footage from the actual performance. The overture is discussed, but only a small excerpt from it is shown. :(

4.The live score track is fantastic. :(

Miguel ANdrade was rigth it was from 1941. I think that part was the best one from the movie LOL

Well i have just saw the TV advertisement. It was me or I saw 3 discs?!

Well you never know...

So really guys... what version should I get? All these reviews and reports are confusing me.

1. Will the US 2 DVD release contain both versions of the film or will I have to get the 4 disc set? From what I understand, the 2 disc set will have both versions?

2. Will the US 2 DVD release have the live performance as well, or is that exclusive to the 4 disc set? From what I understand, you must get the 4 disc set to get this feature?

Curious to get the answers before tomorrow...

It was confirmed last week that Spielberg suddenly decided to include the original 1982 version within the standard 2 disc set.

Not sure about the live performance track, but think this is a standard feature on all releases.

If I were you Chris i would go for the gift set. It is beautifully packaged, and features not just the script as originally announced, but rather a complete hard back book on the creation of ET (titled from concept to classic). The senitype is nothing special, but nice to have I suppose. The cd, well we all have that anyway - At least the JP box set had special artwork for the cd's, this is just the standard booklet with the cd itself treated as a fourth disc as part of the foldout DVD case (which is magnificently presented in a shiny silver format by the way)

As Jim Ware states, the third disc features some fantastic and rare Williams footage, particularly of the original recording sessions (some of them filmed by Spielberg himself) and the performance of the flying theme (and others) by Williams on the piano is a real treat.

The premiere featurette again includes some magnificent footage of the maestro, and includes rare footage of him at work rehearsing with the orchestra, ultimately culmunating toward the final edited performance on the premiere night. An emotional performance to say the least!

It is great to see so much of this set devoting time to Williams, which indeed should be the case as most of us would consider his contribution to the film imperative in its success.

The disc 1 live performance is great to have in 5.1, but does lack the impact of the original recording IMO. I suppose this is inevitable though, as they only had one take to record it! The spaceexploration feature is strictly for kids, as you probably guessed :ola:

Disc 2 also features a 37 minute documentary from the laserdisc set a few years back.

It has to be said that we can always rely on great Williams content on DVD's as long as Laurent Bouzereau produces the documentaries! :sigh:

Both US versions (2DVD and 3DVD+1CD) have the newer and the original version of the movie, and both have the live performance, according to everything I've read. The 2DVD set doesn't say anything about this, though some are supposed to have stickers about the original version being included. They do however claim to have the full 50 minute documentary, but it was shortened when the original movie version was included, to something below 30 minutes I think.

So in addition to the soundtrack album, the printed script and a senotype (?), the more expensive set also has the full 50 minute documentary and a (10 minute?) featurette about Williams.

To make things even more complicated, the 2DVD set has DTS tracks for both versions of the movie, while the 3DVD set only has one for the newer version.

Marian - annoyed.

The only thing is, I probably can't afford the 3 disc set. :) Especially if the 2 disc set has both versions of the film AND the live performance. Since I already have the 20th anniversary soundtrack (and the 1996 version AND 3 copies of the 1982 version, LP and 2 different covered CDs). That seems like a high price to pay for the extras, even though I am interested in watching them.

Plus, I gotta save money for the Transformers 2nd season Vol. 1 boxed set, Star Wars E2 DVD, possibly a video game system (the news of that Bounty Hunter game having unreleased music is forcing my previously undecided hand, LOL), and so on and so forth. :wow:

Speaking of video game systems... which one should I get if I decide to get one? :?

Why does all the good stuff have to come out JUST during the holiday season??? Arrgh! :oops: :sigh: :roll:

-Chris, Who just got the Jane Eyre DVD with Williams music last week. :ola:

Speaking of video game systems... which one should I get if I decide to get one?  :?

It depends on the games style you are going to play.

If you want to play Star Wars games, buy GC. It has the best SW game: Rogue Leader. And they are making the sequel.

If you want the best technology: XBOX.

And if you want the largest games catalogue and the best games: PS2

Speaking of video game systems... which one should I get if I decide to get one?  :?

If you want to play Star Wars games, buy GC. It has the best SW game: Rogue Leader. And they are making the sequel.

Don't get a gamecube. I own one, and regret the purchase. Rogue leader is fun for the first 5 minutes, then become boring. The few good games for gc (mario sunshine, metroid prime) are not worth it. Get an xbox.

Why does all the good stuff have to come out JUST during the holiday season??? Arrgh!  :oops:  :)  :roll:

So you can save up the rest of the year. :)

Neil

Don't get a gamecube. I own one, and regret the purchase. Rogue leader is fun for the first 5 minutes, then become boring. The few good games for gc (mario sunshine, metroid prime) are not worth it. Get an xbox.

Any video game machine is a waste of money, if you just get a recent pc you'll be able to use it for far more than just DVD's and video games. :) They even have tvouts now days. Plus, pc's have the ablity to have better graphics than any game machine.

I'm leaning towards Playstation 2 because my Playstation 1 is old and over the hill and you can play the older games on it.

These are the only games that I look to play:

-The best NBA game every year (Usually NBA Live, but the AI of the defenses on them, and the ease of scoring always disappoint me.)

-The best NFL game every year (Usually Madden.)

-The most recent Zelda game (Is there one coming for Gamecube???)

but occasionally...

-Star Wars games that have unreleased music on them.

(Otherwise, they bore me and I could care less about playing them. For me, it was more fun advancing in TPM game just to find and record missing music, as it was fairly annoying actually playing the damn thing. The annoyance factor always rises when you need to buy a $10 hintbook/stragety guide to even play a game, and even then get stuck!!! AARGH!!!)

One more point... I do want a new and faster PC, but I don't have the money right now. My mom offered to buy me a video game system for Christmas, but shook her head at a new PC, so I'll have to wait until next summer when I have more money.

If you build a new pc, you can use components from the old one plus if you find a cheap computer market, you should be able to get a new one for like only $100 US more than a play station 2. Never buy brand name with a PC, they are only assemibled by the company anyway, a bunch of different people make the parts. And brand new pc's are rip offs. :)

If you build a new pc, you can use components from the old one plus if you find a cheap computer market, you should be able to get a new one for like only $100 US more than a play station 2. Never buy brand name with a PC, they are only assemibled by the company anyway, a bunch of different people make the parts. And brand new pc's are rip offs.  :)

I know. I have at least 2 friends that are computer freaks, and they assemble their own PCs (and one of them is a computer-fix-it man by trade). They tell me that they could assemble a really sweet one for around $300-400, stripping a few things off my old PC, like my less-than-a-year-old CD-Recorder.

I'd then give my old one to my bro, who I must sacrifice the PC to at least once a day for a few hours so he can chat with chicks online. :biglaugh:

I'm likely going to do this, but if I do, it would be either Christmas or next Spring/Summer

If you want to play Star Wars games, buy GC. It has the best SW game: Rogue Leader.

If you want to play Star Wars games, get a good PC. Games don't get better than the X-Wing series. And Jedi Outcast is pretty great as well.

If you want to play Star Wars games, buy GC. It has the best SW game: Rogue Leader.

If you want to play Star Wars games, get a good PC. Games don't get better than the X-Wing series. And Jedi Outcast is pretty great as well.

Which is cming to gamecube this moth or next. Anyways i agree with you, for SW games get a PC. There are more games (till today) I dont know if they are going to make more console games thatn PC ones from now....

Rogue Leader sequel? Never heard of.... Darn they haven't tranlated it for PC and they are going to make a sequel... :)

Any video game machine is a waste of money, if you just get a recent pc you'll be able to use it for far more than just DVD's and video games.  :)  They even have tvouts now days. Plus, pc's have the ablity to have better graphics than any game machine.

I don't consider this a serious observation. :)

THE BEST GAMES (and most of the budget of videogames industry is for them) are the ones made for those 'machines'.

And the most important fact is not graphics!

You buy a PS2, XBOX or GC to PLAY GAMES. Only TO PLAY GAMES (plus some small aditions such as DVD, etc.)

-The most recent Zelda game (Is there one coming for Gamecube???)

Oh, yes!!! But I don't know if you like the look of it. (despite the excellent but odd graphics -cell shading-, it will be a great game)

zelda930_gcn_ss1.jpg

Rogue Leader sequel? Never heard of.... Darn they haven't tranlated it for PC and they are going to make a sequel...  :)

That's why I'm annoyed about consoles. LucasArts only make about 50% of their games for PCs anymore.

:wow: OMG on the DVD console; if you hit " UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, A, B, SELECT, START" you get the secret Williams audio commentary!!!!!!!!!

:P

who has already bought the E.T. DVD?

I haven't. For one thing, I'm still not sure which one to pick up (probably the 3DVD thingy). Plus I'm really short on cash right now.

And, most important: There have been some errors with the 3DVD set. Some of them contain the second DVD from the 2DVD set instead of the one that should be there. Which means they don't have the full documentary, among other things. Reportedly they don't replace these wrong DVDs, though they will correct the problem for the remaining sets that are produced. So I'd rather wait a little longer before buying it, especially since I'll order online.

:wow:   OMG on the DVD console; if you hit " UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, A, B, SELECT, START"  you get the secret Williams audio commentary!!!!!!!!!

:P

Plus UNLIMITED livees in Contra NES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- yeah I was a NES dorky farthead when I was younger.

who has already bought the E.T. DVD?

I haven't. For one thing, I'm still not sure which one to pick up (probably the 3DVD thingy). Plus I'm really short on cash right now.

And, most important: There have been some errors with the 3DVD set. Some of them contain the second DVD from the 2DVD set instead of the one that should be there. Which means they don't have the full documentary, among other things. Reportedly they don't replace these wrong DVDs, though they will correct the problem for the remaining sets that are produced. So I'd rather wait a little longer before buying it, especially since I'll order online.

Ahhh crap. I just watched the documentary on the 2nd disc and it was 37 minutes I believe. Does this mean that I have the wrong 2nd disc? ARG. And they won't replace them? WTF?!?!?!!?!? What do I do? Return it?

I don't remember, I think the full documentary runs 40 or 50 minutes on the "bigger" set. From what I've read, everything should be okay with your discs if you do NOT have a DTS sound option in the original movie. But best check out Dan Brecher's thread at MM.com. ROTFLMAO

Marian - finding this all very confusing.

:P Itaipu (Philip Glass)

i love the piece Williams composed for the Live Premiere, the one that played before the movie.

Ted, who watched all the dvd extras and is now watching the World Series :P

There have been some errors with the 3DVD set. Some of them contain the second DVD from the 2DVD set instead of the one that should be there. Which means they don't have the full documentary, among other things. Reportedly they don't replace these wrong DVDs, though they will correct the problem for the remaining sets that are produced. So I'd rather wait a little longer before buying it, especially since I'll order online.

Just for all of you to know, if any of you got such a mistake, legally, Universal or the retailers have to take it back, since it's the law that you can't sell something that misrepresents what the contents are as described in the box, and as advertised. So, too bad that Universal says they won't take it back; the law protects the consumers. This law is great, otherwise, many companies would make you believe that you're buying a Porche, when in fact, it's a Ford.

Yes, there are many businesses out there that makes false claims, and operate based on that premise. Unfortunately there are more than we'd ever hope.

But, if any of you are unlucky on your E.T. Gift package purchase, don't despair, take it back. Either the store or Universal have to eat it. Remember the law is protecting you.

Rogue Leader sequel? Never heard of.... Darn they haven't tranlated it for PC and they are going to make a sequel...  :P

Huh, the first game is for PC... http://www.lucasarts.com/products/rogue/splash.htm

THE BEST GAMES (and most of the budget of videogames industry is for them) are the ones made for those 'machines'.

Ohh yeah, like what?

Rogue Leader sequel? Never heard of.... Darn they haven't tranlated it for PC and they are going to make a sequel...  :angry:

Huh, the first game is for PC... http://www.lucasarts.com/products/rogue/splash.htm

Morn. I own that game for PC. We are speaking of a ROGUE LEADER Sequel. not a ROGUE SQUADRON one (Rogue leader has been out for a year ....).

Darn they haven't tranlated it for PC and they are going to make a sequel

Seemed like you were talking about the first game because you then went on to the sequel. :angry:

Darn they haven't tranlated it for PC and they are going to make a sequel

Seemed like you were talking about the first game because you then went on to the sequel. :angry:

Marian spoke about a ROGUE LEADER Sequel.