FSM's Indy Podcast

Morlock

I never picked up on the heavy brass music when we first see Indy's face in Raiders being the actual first quote of The Raiders March.

It does sound to clean to be a DVD rip, though I have not ripped TOD myself, so I'm no expert.

Could this have been a recreation using one of the many sampling programs?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never picked up on the heavy brass music when we first see Indy's face in Raiders being the actual first quote of The Raiders March.

I always figured it was there, but I never heard it ;)

Just listened to my boot again and I realised that short before the bridge theme starts there is music used in the broadcast that isn't on the boot before the bridge theme starts!

Me neither.

And I have to back up KM on his #1 argument again, based on my experience and to the best of my knowlege, it is impossible to rip that particular piece of music, the fanfare for the British soldiers, without sound effects off the current DVD. It had to come from somewhere else.

I'm not going to go nuts and start getting excited over a release that may or may not happen, but that is a fact.

Maybe John Crichton can check that (I doubt very much the guns are one one side only) I also doubt FSM has gone through the trouble of doing all that or recreating a fake track somehow . Plus they are anti-bootleg and should use only legitimately obtained material

Unfortunately I can't, my computer's DVD drive is still out of action and I don't have the dosh to get it fixed. ;)

But I will concede that point, that is possible if someone was willing to do an insane amount of micro-editing. Not to mention a severe loss in quality that isn't apparent on the clip we were given. ToD was one of the first rips I did and as far as I remember there is SFX in every channel there, but it has been a while. I was too strong saying impossible, but I'd still consider it highly unlikely. But highly unlikely has happened before.

Honestly besides you KM who cares if FSM might have the complete scores? People who are in that type of industry get complete scores a lot of times and most of the time they can't be released because of the legality for them. I'm sure they'll be able to play snippets for people but as I said a lot of times it can't be released.

I mean seriously be patient and wait to see what Concord presents us with later this year. You need to stop being so up tight about this and don't loose sleep over it.

It means the TOD master tapes still exist,and that is proof of it.

It only means some source exists, and it may not be complete. They released a complete Superman score without access to the mastertapes a few years ago. And I rarely listen to podcasts, but didn't FSM use unavailable material before?

I wouldn't take it as a definitive sign that anything exists. But it increases the chances by 1%. ;)

If the gunshots are on only one channel, it is possible to remove that and use the other channels to compensate, or take just one channel and double it up to create fake stereo.

I would think that is that could be done, people would have done it already. It worked in some parts of ROTS.

And a mono piece is better than nothing.

Honestly besides you KM who cares if FSM might have the complete scores? People who are in that type of industry get complete scores a lot of times and most of the time they can't be released because of the legality for them. I'm sure they'll be able to play snippets for people but as I said a lot of times it can't be released.

I mean seriously be patient and wait to see what Concord presents us with later this year. You need to stop being so up tight about this and don't loose sleep over it.

Really, let people enjoy a little with things like this. If KM is a pain in the neck in these matters for you (because for me, he aint), you are also a little pain in the neck always showing him that he is a Williams fanboy (nothing wrong with it...), when some new speculation arises.

And as i said, It would be a little hyprocritycal for FSM if, being the anti-boolegs they are, they had these scores in boot form, and more, even gloating it in front of less lucky fans.

So a little discussion can exist arround this.

BTW they have dex dinner.

It could mean they have the 'prepared for release' AOTC 2CD score. Since it was not released in the end, its a boot. They should not have throwed it in the podcasts.

I very much enjoyed the podcast. Its a keeper. They've played unreleased music in their podcasts before. So is their record on them? Have they been teases of things that were eventually released? Dex's Diner certainly wasn't, but I can't remember what else they've put out there like this before.

Anyways, back to the point: Show me where any CD released in the last couple of years has been 40 minutes? Even if they go and release a rock or pop album, it'll be remastered and bonus tracks like unreleased songs and such. Most CDs are 68-79 minutes. I haven't seen a 40 minute CD released since the 1990s. Nowadays 40 minute CDs are like $5-9 discount bin fodder. They know everybody file shares online and the only way a CD can sell is if it has something to offer the public.

JNH's The Village is only 42 minutes. But still, that's the exception, I agree with your point.

It means the TOD master tapes still exist,and that is proof of it.

It only means some source exists, and it may not be complete. They released a complete Superman score without access to the mastertapes a few years ago. And I rarely listen to podcasts, but didn't FSM use unavailable material before?

I wouldn't take it as a definitive sign that anything exists. But it increases the chances by 1%. ;)

I'd take an Expanded ToD in Superman Rhino sound quality any day.

I listened to that clip again and again. The best sound quality ?,probably not...but no distortion or dips in quality whatsoever within the clip. That definately excludes anykind of microediting job from rear DVD channels.So there is a source to the complete score.

And Luke is right. If no one is releasing this soon,it can be considered a bootleg. And I would be dissapointed at FSM for dangling this in our faces.

Ok let's get serious here. There are plenty of radio shows that play unreleased music as part of their broadcast.

There is a classical station out of Austin, Texas that has a weekend film score show.

Several months ago they had a tribute to Elmer Bernstein's comedy scores with score clips from Airplane, which has yet to see a release. The clips sounded much better than the TOD clips that appeared on the FSM podcast.

FSM is not "dangling" anything in our faces. They may have asked Lucasfilm for a few short clips to do their show.

My advice is to relax and wait and see what Concord has in store. In 38 days we are going to get the first new Williams score since Dec. 2005. Let's get that out of the way and then I'm sure once the film has opened and the Indy hype has died down we'll find out Concord's plans for the other three scores.

Frankly some of you are jumpng the gun and making ridiculous accusations without knowing all the facts.

If the complete scores for all 3 IJ films could be released and the rights available someone would have done it by now.

And another thing, if some people of the film score community actually do have copies of the master tapes to the IJ films the odds of them sharing are remote because they were probably given access to them with the strictest confidence that they would not make them available to the public.

The voice of reason prevails.

Morlock- who enjoyed the podcast without seeing any cause for reading much into it's musical choices

Ok let's get serious here. There are plenty of radio shows that play unreleased music as part of their broadcast.

There is a classical station out of Austin, Texas that has a weekend film score show.

Several months ago they had a tribute to Elmer Bernstein's comedy scores with score clips from Airplane, which has yet to see a release. The clips sounded much better than the TOD clips that appeared on the FSM podcast.

FSM is not "dangling" anything in our faces. They may have asked Lucasfilm for a few short clips to do their show.

My advice is to relax and wait and see what Concord has in store. In 38 days we are going to get the first new Williams score since Dec. 2005. Let's get that out of the way and then I'm sure once the film has opened and the Indy hype has died down we'll find out Concord's plans for the other three scores.

Frankly some of you are jumpng the gun and making ridiculous accusations without knowing all the facts.

If the complete scores for all 3 IJ films could be released and the rights available someone would have done it by now.

And another thing, if some people of the film score community actually do have copies of the master tapes to the IJ films the odds of them sharing are remote because they were probably given access to them with the strictest confidence that they would not make them available to the public.

I 100% agree with you on this. KM you seriously gotta listen to reason here...

Ok, lets speak of the new Williams score since 2005, Indiana Jones and the Kigdom of the Crystal Skull.

Oh, wait. we are not supposed to make conjetures about it. Nor speak about it since it has not been released, Because its annoying for some people.

I'll bear that in mind about owning bootlegs. Definately if a radio can broadcast it, i can definately own one for my own listening without feeling guilty...

I tried not to, i left the two sides opened, seeing this as some nice hint from their part of upcoming releases.

But i also say that in the end, if concord or whoever do not release it, this is a little mean to show off. Even if they only got 4 cues from Lucasfilm (and BTW what would be the point in it? Is the podcast that long as to resort to unreleased music because the reast is already used? Why use Dex dinner if the magnificent cantina bands are available?.

I'm not saying that if they own the music they have the obligation to share it with us. (quite the opposite, since it could be suing material) But showing it, i would not do. And if i had boots of this magnitude, i'll would not be so vehement against boots.

BTW I prefer not knowing of its existence. I know that if Lucasfilm wants to release it, they will release it. I dont need to be given false hopes.

And nobody is insulting FSM... at least not from my part.

Exactly, that why i dont need to know if they have them.

Example: We know the music director of the battlefront games has the prequel scores. He said it, but he is not giving anything. He should have not spoken. We already know LucasArts must have them. But now we know that individual people involved have it too.

Now, what do we speak of?

A new Indy movie and score, in several years, and we cannot speak of how will the music or movie be, or whatever people have been doing with movies always?

Just wait until it is released, because conjeturing is fanboyism? Pretty boring.

Exactly... it's all legal reasons as to why this stuff isn't released or a lot of this stuff isn't leaked...a lot of times it can come back and bite the person or people who leaked it in the ass.

I dont think that i said many stupid things,

I'm sorry, sometimes my english is not good enough to express really what i mean.

Has nothing to do with your english. I understood you perfectly.

Wow. I'm surprised how much furor there is over the 30 seconds of The British Fleet fanfare w/ no sound effects in the podcast. The bootleg I have of TOD has no sound effects over the music for that sequence, and I assumed that's what the FSM guys used...

Wow. I'm surprised how much furor there is over the 30 seconds of The British Fleet fanfare w/ no sound effects in the podcast. The bootleg I have of TOD has no sound effects over the music for that sequence, and I assumed that's what the FSM guys used...

there would have not been furor if you had passed by sooner and told us ;)

Does nobody else have this boot?

The track listing is:

01 Anything Goes - Fanfare (3:04)

02 Lao Che - The Diamond Deal - Nightclub Mayhem (6:10)

03 Crash Landing - Chase Through Shanghai - The Plane (3:42)

04 Ditching The Plane - The Mountain - The Tribesman - To The Village (3:31)

05 The Tribesman Tells All - A Child Returns (5:15)

06 Elephants - The Trek, Day 1 (2:30)

07 The Campfire - The Trek, Day 2 - Ritual Site - Pankot Palace (3:57)

08 Palace Dinner (0:53)

09 Willie & Dr. Jones - Five Minutes - Indy Attacked - Secret Passage (5:56)

10 The Death Room (3:31)

11 The Thugee Ceremony - Human Sacrifice (4:58)

12 Taking The Shankara Stones (1:58)

13 Captured - The Cage - Khali Blood Ritual - Indy Possessed (6:32)

14 Shorty Escapes - Indy Returns - Children Released - The Stone Crusher - Escaping The Temple (11:26)

15 The Mine Car Chase (3:41)

16 Water - The Bridge - Finale - End Credits (14:26)

Total time: 1:21:30

So its missing about 40 minutes of the complete score.... but the sound quality is really good and there are no sound effects at all except minor cricket noises on 2 of the tracks

I've been listening to a lot of FSM podcasts and most of them have unreleased music in them, from Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds, etc

Does nobody else have this boot?

The track listing is:

14 Shorty Escapes - Indy Returns - Children Released - The Stone Crusher - Escaping The Temple (11:26)

Total time: 1:21:30

So its missing about 40 minutes of the complete score.... but the sound quality is really good and there are no sound effects at all except minor cricket noises on 2 of the tracks

Haven't we discussed that last year? I have one with sound effects edited out.In the British Fanfare section they looped the first phrase then edited the ending after skipping another section

I'm curious if the "clean" DVD rip is missing about 10 seconds of music as heard in the FSM podcast of the British Fanfare cue.

I see KM beat me to it.

So the FSM music is not from that boot, or is it?

This thread is great.

:) Yes it is since we are discussing other things than Indy IV or resuscitating old threads.

<_<

In one of the links above i found this:

da8e_1.JPG

Look better than the CD cover :lol:

Still,only the mention of "slight cricket noises"=DVD rip=impossible that the British Fanfare is intact ,Jason needs to check it carefully

But did we check every boot? What if nobody had bothered to listen to the Family Plot one because it was so remore that it would be a real boot

There's another 2-disc DVD rip that I got 4 or 5 years ago that had the same problem, anything with unremovable SFX was just cut out. But it did have a concert piece of Parade of the Slave Children that I hadn't heard before.

I know I've traded my complete DVD rip of ToD with quite a few people (fortunately I've never seen or heard of it distributed outside my knowledge), but I never hid the fact that it does have SFX. Not to mention it's only a so-so work that needs to be redone, but that's another story.

OK, here's my analysis of what's on this thing...

This is "Anything Goes" (Track 1) from the OST from 0:00-2:47, followed by that little fanfare w/ no sound effects

All unreleased music, no sound effects at all. Sounds like it has a clean ending (you don't hear the start of the next track at all)

This is "Fast Streets of Shanghai" (Track 2) from the OST

This is "Slalom on Mt. Humol" (Track 6) from the OST, but around 2:16 unreleased music comes in and plays to the end. No sound effects.

All unreleased music, and the first of 2 tracks with VERY minor cricket noises.

This is "Short Round's Theme (Track 4) from the OST

All unreleased music, and has some cricket noises throughout the first 45 or so seconds (and the last 10 seconds or so). Kind of fades out awkwardly

All unreleased music, no sound effects

This is "Nocturnal Activities" (Track 3) from the OST

This is ""Bug Tunnel and Death Trap" (Track 8) from the OST

From 0:00-2:45 or so is "The Temple of Doom" (Track 7) from the OST... but the ending with the wailing voice from the OST is missing, and instead it flows into unreleased music w/ no sound effects until the end.

All unreleased music, no sound effects. Fades out somewhat abruptly.

This starts off being "Children in Chains" (Track 5) from the OST.... but then at about 2:16 it then flows right into unreleased music, with no sound effects, that plays out to the end. So the last 10 seconds or so of the OST track is missing here.

0:00-3:26 is unreleased music with no sound effects. That flows right into...

3:26-6:44 is "Slave Children's Crusade" (Track 9) from the OST, which then flows right into...

6:44-end is all unreleased music w/ no sound effects and is so freaking great

This is "The Mine Car Chase" (Track 10) from the OST

The first 7:38 or so is all the music from when they exit the caves at the cliffside through the whole bridge sequence... shortly after the British Army Fanfare it crossfades to later the score, skipping over Indy climbing up the broken bridge and their return the village. It jumps right to the slave children's theme as Indy gives the stone to the village elder and then plays through to the end. So all unreleased music with no sound effects, but missing a chunk from the middle.

Obviously not.

I believe if a true SFX-less boot existed we would have heard it by now

I think FSM has got this music recently because even at FSM people like John Takis were wondering if the TOD masters were destroyed and nobody had ever heard true isolated unreleased music ,adding to the arguement it could be released soon. Also, I think it's a surprise to Ricard too,since he mentions the podcast has previously unreleased music on the main page .He would know if a recording sessions boot existed.

I get a feeling it took a lot to get that music out of the Paramount vaults.It was probably hard to find. And the timing with the new movie and planned rereleases . You don't just call them up "hey,can I have that clip of the Bridge sequence for a podcast" .,even if you work at FSM(what does Paramount care if your a small film music label with an internet podcast)