FSM's Indy Podcast

Morlock

Obviously not.

Oh ok. You never know. I steer clear of any SFX boots, so I'm not really up to date with any of the rips that are floating around.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the British Fanfare section they looped the first phrase then edited the ending after skipping another section

Hey you're right!

I just compared the version heard in the FSM podcast to the film version to what's on my bootleg.

The FSM version sounds identical to the film version to me. In both, the theme basically repeats 4 times, the first 2 very similar to each other and then the 3rd and 4th time it has different orchestration. In the film, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th performance of the theme all have sound effects over it on the rear channels, so on my boot they just repeat the first version twice and then jump right over the 3rd and 4th times. D'oh. Thought I was on to something <_<

I think FSM has got this music recently because even at FSM people like John Takis were wondering if the TOD masters were destroyed and nobody had ever heard true isolated unreleased music ,adding to the arguement it could be released soon. Also, I think it's a surprise to Ricard too,since he mentions the podcast has previously unreleased music on the main page .He would know if a recording sessions boot existed.

I get a feeling it took a lot to get that music out of the Paramount vaults.It was probably hard to find. And the timing with the new movie and planned rereleases . You don't just call them up "hey,can I have that clip of the Bridge sequence for a podcast" .,even if you work at FSM(what does Paramount care if your a small film music label with an internet podcast)

Right, and Mike Matessino's recent comments about how the appropriate time to release expanded scores would not be when Indy4 hits theaters, but when all 4 movies hit blu ray, seems to me to be a not-so-subtle subtle hint that he's involved in them and that's when Concord will release them.

Ok let's get serious here. There are plenty of radio shows that play unreleased music as part of their broadcast.

There is a classical station out of Austin, Texas that has a weekend film score show.

Several months ago they had a tribute to Elmer Bernstein's comedy scores with score clips from Airplane, which has yet to see a release. The clips sounded much better than the TOD clips that appeared on the FSM podcast.

Is it possible that they played the City of Prague Philharmonic suite available on Silva Screen's The Disasters! Movie Music Album and The Essential Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection. Or the suite from the Varese compilation album called The High And The Mighty: A Century Of Flight conducted by Richard Kaufman and performed by the London Symphony. Both suites ARE commercially available.

BTW, I've played TONS of commercially unavailable scores on my show in the past 11 years.

-Erik-

Hey Erik, any new Giacchino news lately?

Nothing. I can't get a hold of the guy. I'll be sure to let you know thought if I hear anything about Roar! or other projects.

For instance, you do know that he will be scoring LAND OF THE LOST in '09.

-Erik-

Ok let's get serious here. There are plenty of radio shows that play unreleased music as part of their broadcast.

There is a classical station out of Austin, Texas that has a weekend film score show.

Several months ago they had a tribute to Elmer Bernstein's comedy scores with score clips from Airplane, which has yet to see a release. The clips sounded much better than the TOD clips that appeared on the FSM podcast.

Is it possible that they played the City of Prague Philharmonic suite available on Silva Screen's The Disasters! Movie Music Album and The Essential Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection. Or the suite from the Varese compilation album called The High And The Mighty: A Century Of Flight conducted by Richard Kaufman and performed by the London Symphony. Both suites ARE commercially available.

BTW, I've played TONS of commercially unavailable scores on my show in the past 11 years.

-Erik-

No these are actual cues from the film.

I am having a fun time reading all your posts about this Indy TOD music speculation. <_<

Wish I could contribute, but I don't know too much about all the TOD boots out there!! :lol:

Here's the real guy you need for this case :)

sh_game.jpg

Hey Erik, any new Giacchino news lately?

Nothing. I can't get a hold of the guy. I'll be sure to let you know thought if I hear anything about Roar! or other projects.

For instance, you do know that he will be scoring LAND OF THE LOST in '09.

-Erik-

I didn't, but now I do, so I have another score to look forward to!

This is very interesting. Though the TOD clips did sound off, there's no way at all they could've possibly gotten the "Water!" segment that clean from a DVD, and of course the British Fanfare has been soundly dealt with. I'm not sure why it sounded like that. I seem to recall the unreleased material under the documentaries sounded better than this. The "Portuguese Coast" clip sounded quite good, though. Obviously there is unreleased music sans SFX accessible by people, though how soon we will be included among those people is anyone's guess.

As far as Matessino's comments go, now that we know that Concord is releasing the original three, it does seem to be a bit more positive. I would think that a guy like him would've been in the know, or at least working to get his foot in the door as far as the releases go. It seems like at least discussions would've been going on with Concord by then, so it may well be that the "be patient" comment could be a positive. We'll see, though. Personally, I just find it hard to believe that the suits would pass up such an opportunity to release something that clearly is in as high demand as the complete Indy scores, but who knows?

...a lot of times it can come back and bite the person or people who leaked it in the ass.

That just sounds disgusting.

Neil

I believe the term is

Does nobody else have this boot?

The track listing is:

01 Anything Goes - Fanfare (3:04)

02 Lao Che - The Diamond Deal - Nightclub Mayhem (6:10)

03 Crash Landing - Chase Through Shanghai - The Plane (3:42)

04 Ditching The Plane - The Mountain - The Tribesman - To The Village (3:31)

05 The Tribesman Tells All - A Child Returns (5:15)

06 Elephants - The Trek, Day 1 (2:30)

07 The Campfire - The Trek, Day 2 - Ritual Site - Pankot Palace (3:57)

08 Palace Dinner (0:53)

09 Willie & Dr. Jones - Five Minutes - Indy Attacked - Secret Passage (5:56)

10 The Death Room (3:31)

11 The Thugee Ceremony - Human Sacrifice (4:58)

12 Taking The Shankara Stones (1:58)

13 Captured - The Cage - Khali Blood Ritual - Indy Possessed (6:32)

14 Shorty Escapes - Indy Returns - Children Released - The Stone Crusher - Escaping The Temple (11:26)

15 The Mine Car Chase (3:41)

16 Water - The Bridge - Finale - End Credits (14:26)

Total time: 1:21:30

So its missing about 40 minutes of the complete score.... but the sound quality is really good and there are no sound effects at all except minor cricket noises on 2 of the tracks

I dunno, looks like the 80 minute version I made from the OST CD and the "best of" my DVD extracts. The one I did was pretty clean, and it was a "I wish they release an expanded 80 minute album something like this." But if people are saying that it has all sfx edited out (including music) and loops and all that, then it isn't mine. Mine was pretty much straight up, with as much sfx out and high quality that I could keep.

Regardless, considering how some people on this board will post endlessly about off-topic (not pertaining to John Williams, his films, and his music, IMO) stuff, it sure is weird when something ON-topic gets blasted. It seems odd to me.

My opinion: FSM having clean segments of unreleased music does not mean that they do or do not have knowledge to a future expanded release with 100% probability. But it does mean they had at least a little snippit here and there, and MAYBE they were giving a wink and a nod to the possibility that Concord's releases may be expanded. Then again, maybe they just had the snippit from Lucasfilm or something, have no knowledge of Concord's intentions, and played it for the heck of it. Either way, if they don't like fan-made boots (made by fans to privately enjoy in their own homes until real releases are produced), then it seems against their ethics to use them in their podcasts.

And, Trent, dude... that PM you sent me... was that a joke or do you really believe the stuff you wrote? Serious question. it's either a pretty funny joke or you need some serious help.

Wow. I'm surprised how much furor there is over the 30 seconds of The British Fleet fanfare w/ no sound effects in the podcast. The bootleg I have of TOD has no sound effects over the music for that sequence, and I assumed that's what the FSM guys used...

It's just a reflection of how badly many of us have longed for a complete release of ToD.

LC clip amazing!

Is that the corrected pich boot?

I tried to find one, to not avail, and then made it myself, but it sill sounded crap.

:)

Wild dream: Neil is making the Superman interviews with Michael Mattessino. What if this means that Mattessino told Neil he was working on these scores, and provided a cue for us to share?

cross-fingers.

Wild dream: Neil is making the Superman interviews with Michael Mattessino. What if this means that Mattessino told Neil he was working on these scores, and provided a cue for us to share?

cross-fingers.

Nope.

Neil

Nope.

Neil

You should post a section from the scene where they are tied to the chairs and set the room on fire.... never been released on any bootleg to my knowledge

Nope.

Neil

You should post a section from the scene where they are tied to the chairs and set the room on fire.... never been released on any bootleg to my knowledge

Nope.

I hope that its something rippeable from a doccumentary or DVD menu.

Yep!

It's from a 1990 documentary called "Soundtrack!". It's narrated by James Earl Jones and shows the evolution of "The Portuguese Coast" sequence, from the shooting on set, through effects editing, ADR, foley, music and final mix. It's on the THX demo disc. And the music you heard is the only clean music on the thing. I just thought I'd have a little fun. Enjoy!

Neil

Could the unreleased TOD music from the Podcast maybe come from a documentary of some sort?

and the Water! clip? never heard it anywhere.

I assume because we already had a boot of LC ,some little unreleased snippets from other sources might be overlooked .In the case of unreleased ToD music,someone would have found this before if it was on a menu(as we found all the Prequel/Harry Potter DVD menu unreleased music)

That music at the end of the podcast indeed contained some stuff that is not on the bootleg I have either. Interesting. To add fuel to the fire, doesn't

advertisement contain an unreleased portion of the ToD end credits? It's been ages since I actually heard the OST version of the credits, but unless I'm very much mistaken a part of Short Round's theme is edited out on the OST, but not in this advertisement. If so, where-ever did this come from? This has nothing to do with a film music company like FSM having unreleased music; we're talking about an advertisement for a modile phone game here! :)

Has anyone actually bothered to inquire with one of the FSM podcast fellows?

It would strike me as slightly more productive than wild speculation.

I believe KM posted a question in the thread over at FSM but a direct e-mail would probably be more efficient.

I also asked Jim Ware and he said FSM ain't talking.Anyone knows one of these FSM guys on a more personnal level?Maybe Takis could tell us.

That music in the cell phone add is not the original recording of the ToD end Credits.Sounds like the Silva re-recording

Well if Doug Adams and FSM ain't talking then I would let it go.

Like I said they could have been given some material to do their show only and probably don't want to be bombarded with requests or questiosn as to where and why.

Has anyone actually bothered to inquire with one of the FSM podcast fellows?

It would strike me as slightly more productive than wild speculation.

But so much less fun. :P

John- also willing to wait

Well,I asked in the FSM thread ,but not directly .I assume they wouldn't reply.

Mark, you mean you've gone back over there... for more? You're a brave man.

I realised that I basically can't stand a few specific persons that I'll just avoid .I don't want to make a habit of posting there though

I realised that I basically can't stand a few specific persons that I'll just avoid .I don't want to make a habit of posting there though

What do they give you are hard time for, KM? Because you want an expanded TOD? Hardly a reason to bash someone for, especially a community of Film Score enthusiasts.

It's the whole anti-bootleg attitude .My fear is that it will spread to other MB's and we will not be able to trade unreleased music at all in the future .Even here we have to start disguising our threads or doing it in secrecy.It will lead to a group of people having this and that and beeing too paranoid to share.

Second,it's the everyone for himself,buy as many as you can to sell on ebay later attitude.For the unlucky people who missed a release,it's just too bad and don't ask for a cdr.

It's also that you cannot place Williams above Goldsmith over there in any circumstance.