Need advice in buying Angela's Ashes

I have a friend studying in the UK who will be back for the summer. Thus, he's helping me buy some stuff of Amazon.uk for me. I have hit a slight problem though. How do I know if this version of Angela's Ashes with or without narration? Thanks in advance. :P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sony release has the narration, the one in your link is from Decca, so no narration on that one.

Go for it!

I have both.

You can tell the difference by the slightly reddish tinge of the cover image on the Decca version. If it's reddish, it has no narration.

Can't for the life of me fathom who thought narration was a good idea. Probably the same person who though the album for Monty Python and the Holy Grail was a good idea, which doesn't contain a note of isolated music - just bit literally prised from the audio track with (I believe) a few comical bits.

I don't mean to be negative - I just think music on CD should be just that - music.

Can't for the life of me fathom who thought narration was a good idea.

I think it is a great idea.

Furthermore, i don't even know why people complain, since they can get a release without dialogue.

Furthermore, i don't even know why people complain, since they can get a release without dialogue.

I dont usually buy CDs outside physical stores, so i would be a little annoyed i had to internet-buy a CD overseas.

I think youy say that because the undialogue version is also available. So its like an alternate listeing experience. But if it wasnt available, would still it be a great idea?

It was Williams idea, but still... audio books have a purpose, you know.

Luke and all, I don't even listen to the Decca release. I don't care for it. I love the narration on the Sony release and on the 20+ minute concert suite.

Also, nowadays, I buy most of my music through the internet, overseas or not, and I don't care, if I really want to get a CD, to get it from overseas.

And I'm running on a very tight budget, so how much I'm going to pay for shipping and eventual custom charges are in my mind when ordering, still, if it is Williams, I'll go for it.

But hey, that's me, my own personal opinion. No one as to agree with me, just don't start gessing around why I don't mind the Sony release.

Actually, I hope that Williams would use narration on his Memoirs of a Geisha suite.

If your buying from Amazon Marketplace, contact the seller to confirm it is the correct version. The release without narration has UPC 028946676127.

Enjoy!

Can't for the life of me fathom who thought narration was a good idea. Probably the same person who though the album for Monty Python and the Holy Grail was a good idea, which doesn't contain a note of isolated music - just bit literally prised from the audio track with (I believe) a few comical bits.

But that is no music CD.

If I'm not mistaken the Decca release was the international version.

I hate sound effects and dialogue on my CDs, that's one of the reasons I rarely listen to the original CD for 1941. Plus John Barry's King Kong has a few cues ruined, especially the sacrifice cue which is split in two by effects from a scene which is supposed to take place after the cue is finished.

As soon as I found that out that the Decca version had no dialogue I got rid of my Sony and purchased the other one.

I think it's fine that they did something else for the score - the interaction between the literary word, the voice, and the music is great; I'd like to see this kind of experiment more - yet they should always give us a music-only version as well - as they did here. I agree with Miguel, but I must admit I listen more to the music only CD.

Dialogue on scores is the worst idea ever. Gladiator and Hannibal are aweful releases because of the stupid dialogue.

Yes, they are awful releases... but the dialogue is the only good part on there :huh:

Dialogue isn't the only horrible thing about these stupid releases.

I've had my own compilation of both Gladiator CDs for a while and only recently noticed I haven't been listening to it because there's so much stuff unrelated to the actual score on them - solo instrument renditions, remixes, music already on the first CD.

It's a real pity that when they recognize a film deserves more music released, that they feel the need to dress it up like this. Even the Aniversary edition resorted to false advertising - why do these brainless idiots think music on its own doesn't sell?

I guess it's all about the listening experience, and some composers just don't seem to realise that fans want as much music as possible, not their favourite quote from the film stuck in the middle.

I guess it's all about the listening experience, and some composers just don't seem to realise that fans want as much music as possible, not their favourite quote from the film stuck in the middle.

I trust Williams judgment over the ones by the fans.

Alright! Looks like this is the one I want..though I will contact the seller just to make sure. Thanks! :huh:

Enjoy, it's seriously one of John's best (and most personal).

Glad to hear you're enjoying Mischief Managed :huh:

Glad to hear you're enjoying Mischief Managed :huh:

Honestly, I must have missed the joke...

Miguel, I can't fathom your trust in Williams's album assemblies. Do you also like the length of Temple of Doom and the editing of the Phantom Menace OST?

Miguel, I can't fathom your trust in Williams's album assemblies.

You don't need too.

Do you also like the length of Temple of Doom

I don't mind it, since as a musical experiece, it's just a great album

and the editing of the Phantom Menace OST?

Now, now, everyone knows that those aren't Williams reponsability, but rather the result of constant re-editings of the film.

Uhm, I guess. :D

Don't take me wrong Marc, but is just that all this comes down to taste. You like it, great, you don't, then leave it.

Personally, I find The Phantom Menace CD way too long. Not my favorite score either. But does that makes it a poor, badly assembly album? I don't know.

And I don't feel myself in a position to say that someone who really knows something about music has less of an ability to assembly an album than I do.

I think the music composed for TPM is the best among the Star Wars prequels. However, the way the OS album was assembled was the worst.

IMO, of course.

Better than the album for RotS IMO.

I respect your opinions Miguel, but personally, one should complain more about music being left off an album than too much music. You maybe someone who values the listening experience more than choosing individual tracks for a compilation and that's cool. I just treat CDs as more of a 'resource' for music, and less of a 'pop the CD and enjoy' kind of thing as Williams clearly intends.

Better than the album for RotS IMO.

I respect your opinions Miguel, but personally, one should complain more about music being left off an album than too much music. You maybe someone who values the listening experience more than choosing individual tracks for a compilation and that's cool. I just treat CDs as more of a 'resource' for music, and less of a 'pop the CD and enjoy' kind of thing as Williams clearly intends.

A pitty Beethoven trashed so many music paper... wouldn't it be great to have all his rejected music and make our own personal versions of the any given symphony... See my point here?

Music is all about experiencing it, and the composer is the one is better tailored to do so.

My two cents...

I see Miguel's point isn't about length about about album experience.

That being said, I still find it hard to enjoy TPM's OST with its soundscapes all over the place and music repeated a few times.

I'm all for album arrangements and listening enjoyability. But I don't like many of the later Williams albums for that reason too, not just the music that's left off.

Munich, War of the Worlds, AI, for example, are all very imbalanced as albums. I also don't believe that the composer is better tailored in the listening-experience department.

That would be like saying that an author's interpretation is superior to one's own critical interpretation. Luckily Roland Barthes did away with that :lol:

I see Miguel's point isn't about length about about album experience.

Yes, apparently there's this school of thought that differentiates "quality" from "quantity". Anti-social loons, I think.

I also don't believe that the composer is better tailored in the listening-experience department.

And fans are?

That would be like saying that an author's interpretation is superior to one's own critical interpretation. Luckily Roland Barthes did away with that ;)

Again, Williams is a hightly acomplished composer. As much his work is subject to criticism, I hardly found any real one in this boards. Around here is mostly a taste thing... live with that. I do.

Williams is so humble that he doesn't seem to see as much of a need for his music to be released in all its glory as his fans do. Thus we get the truncated albums, cues edited together, and out-of-sequence album orders. In that respect, we as fans would be better suited to creating the best listening experience, simply because we know exactly what we want (with a few exceptions, like Miguel ;))

Williams is so humble that he doesn't seem to see as much of a need for his music to be released in all its glory as his fans do.

Much the contrary. It is his natural vanity as an artist, that makes him work on a album that will stand well as a listening experience.

You can't fault Williams for Temple Of Doom.

The score was recorded by L.A. musicians back in 1984. A 40 min album then was generous. I think Williams did a very good job assembling that album.