Do you still actively purchase score releases?

Quintus

Melange rice is still relatively cheap at 59cents a pound. I could get nearly 30 bags for a cd

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly haven't ever seen the point in buying a digital album. Your hard drive packs in? It's gone, because buying digital albums is a form of convenience/laziness so these same people will hardly think to back anything up and an iPod is hardly a reliable alternative.

I have a regular backup routine for the entire contents of my computer, including music. I don't think I'm being lazy.

I believe the Internet is a very valuable, fast and efficient way of distributing music, but the music industry has been far too slow to embrace it. And I've said it before, but my lack of need for a CD is simply because once I've ripped them to my computer they never get used again, ever.

Also, I can see a climate emerging where releasing complete scores is a viable option when done digitally. So many scores are currently not available because labels do not consider them worth putting on a CD - well online distribution costs a fraction. I guess I'm thinking of practicality over anything else here, but especially given that comment made on the recent podcast, that much of the time in making a CD is designing artwork etc, why not try and embrace the Internet to reach as many people as possible?

It's not that hard to just rip the files to a CD-R, and then you can put the score on any amount of computers you want.

...which defeats the purpose of downloading MP3s to begin with. If you are going to go to all that trouble wouldn't you just rather have the CD to begin with.

I agree. I'm speaking from experience. I buy from iTunes if they have exclusive scores. EA usually releases the scores to their games on iTunes, a lot by RCP composers. So my brother will buy the scores, and rip them to a CD-R so I can have it.

I have a regular backup routine for the entire contents of my computer, including music. I don't think I'm being lazy.

I'm not saying everybody is lazy nor all would be so careless as to not back anything up, but your average joes will be.

I believe the Internet is a very valuable, fast and efficient way of distributing music, but the music industry has been far too slow to embrace it. And I've said it before, but my lack of need for a CD is simply because once I've ripped them to my computer they never get used again, ever.

I do exactly the same thing, but the CD is still physically there, that's the difference.

I still prefer to play the actual CD over listening to files stored on my computer.

Now when I go places I prefer to take my iPod instead of lugging CDs around.

Melange rice is still relatively cheap at 59cents a pound. I could get nearly 30 bags for a cd

"That's more than these people eat in a week" (sorry, couldn't resist :) )

Nah I was just being silly with my "Rice, bread and water" comment. :thumbup:

I can buy Cds but just choose to spend money on other things nowadays :)

I still prefer to play the actual CD over listening to files stored on my computer.

I've been listening to my CDs recently and for some reason I find it to be a more satisfying experience.

Now when I go places I prefer to take my iPod instead of lugging CDs around.

I've never have taken my CD's with me any where ever since I got the Creative Zen Vision M, mp3 player and now of course the iPod Touch. I would rather have my CD's be here at home safe in their cases. As far as listening to them on the computer to me it's more of a convince so that way the CD's still remain safe.

I buy back catalogue stuff sometimes, but unless it's a major new release or I enjoy the previews on iTunes, I don't usually bother. I have trouble finding scores nowadays that really get me, so it is mostly older stuff. But I will go down the download route if it's something OOP, as it's the preferred alternative to the ludicrous prices eBay seems to command.

I haven't put a c.d. in my sound system for a few years

Ipod

or Computer+ headphones is ok for me .I can't tell the difference between 256kbps+ files and the c.d.

I own more scores on CD/Cassette/Vinyl than most other members here combined.

Because most us need money for rice, bread, and water :thumbup:

Play FreeRice and feed Melange!

I haven't put a c.d. in my sound system for a few years

Ipod

or Computer+ headphones is ok for me .I can't tell the difference between 256kbps+ files and the c.d.

For once we're on the same page :thumbup:

I don't believe anyone can tell the difference between a well encoded mp3 and a CD, at least on a computer system.

Cd's sound almost crap compared to 256kbps and higher.

TGE: Surprisingly thanking God that he can tell the massive difference in clarity.

:) Three years?

I bought my latest CD last week. And I think that was a long time ago...

Quite the same here, I'll never be satisfied with just downloading scores as long as original CDs are here to buy, particularly when it comes to treasures such as LotR CR sets or The Blue Box. ;) Sadly, I can't afford to buy nearly as many scores as I'd like to, but I am doing my best. :) So far, I've managed to collect around 300 (original - bought and paid for) soundtracks, 90 or so of which respresent my JW collection, and still, my collection is very modest from what I've seen on the pics of other members' collections. :thumbup:

Last CD I bought was a couple of weeks ago. But I'm waiting on an SAE order of 8 CDs, and intend on placing another one shortly. I average on about 6 CDs a month.

An uncompressed CD or lossless rip will always sound better than any mp3 bit rate.

Correct. And it makes me sick when the term "digital quality" is thrown around. "Digital" is not a measure of quality, as analog is not. These are simply the two methods of representing recorded music.

Over the past two years, I've purchased thousands of used CDs on ebay --- and then re-sell them on Amazon Marketplace. I buy every Williams CD new on Amazon with the intention of keeping it in my collection. There's some appeal to listening to an original, official CD - even if I arrange a better (more complete, chronological) CD-R.

I rarely download anything online since I own a quality sound system, and can hear the difference between a CD and mp3 files. The only thing I've paid for on iTunes was those exclusive Memoirs tracks.

Yeah, they were 3 piano and cello arrangements with Williams and Yo-Yo Ma performing - in the same room as the score, I believe. A fourth track, accessible if you bought all the tracks, had them discussing the music (and complementing each other). Good stuff, and worth the $3.49 it cost. Are those tracks still available? I think Sony released one of them on a recent Yo-yo Ma CD.

My first and only consideration when I aquire a holy grail piece of unreleased music is wether a studio is earning it's due share of the royalties.I'd never listen to an illegal MP3 of a Sfx free Underground Chaos knowing that Lucasfilm is not getting any money from it.

I'd also never download an OOP album illegally if I could buy legally on ebay at many times the retail price.

Do I detect sarcasm? No seriously, I can't tell... :blink: