The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

On 6/4/2021 at 3:56 PM, AC1 said:

There's something about uilleann pipes that I find sad and beautiful:

In that case, dude, you'll like Paddy Moloney's work, on OMMADAWN.

7 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Could happen. One of the previous gifts was a double 10" vinyl album of one of their gigs from a residency at the Marquee in 1980.   

Wow! Back when everything was simple and Bono hadn't set himself up as the fucking messiah.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In that case, dude, you'll like Paddy Moloney's work, on OMMADAWN.

Of course, Richard, it's the album's highlight.

Anyone hear a very similar, almost identical feel to Animals in the outro (4:15)? Do you know what I'm referring to? I'm not saying what track on Animals because I don't want to make it too easy.

Test your Steely Dan knowledge:

Anyone knows from which Steely Dan song Angus And Julia Stone have 'borrowed' the verse for this song?

Good luck, everyone!

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Same song, other vid with lower resolution:

Song is 'House and Cart' 

I'm guessing you're thinking of "Sign in Stranger", which is in the running for my single favorite Steely Dan song actually.

R-3348029-1326801139.jpeg.jpg

I found this Japanese CD of Animals for 10 Euro, I'm listening right now, and it's a great improvement over the 2011 remastered CD, meaning, Gilmour's guitar souds less harsh in the mid-range. If you can, always buy Japanese CDs. They are much more audiophile minded than us. 

That being said, the original European vinyl still sounds best. 

This looks great. I've always thought that ANIMALS, while being fantastic, musically (it's my second favourite Floyd record), was not up to Floyd's standards, sonically.

I've been doing some Floyd-related research, and it appears that there is a 2018 remix (by James Guthrie, I think), but that its release was nixed due to some argy bargy over the liner notes.

Really? There's a distinct lack of top end, on ANIMALS. Compare it with THE WALL, and you'll hear what I mean.

This was 1977, when many groups were reacting to punk, with a stripped down sound (eg. NEWS OF THE WORLD). Of course, many weren't, and maybe that was their failing.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

This looks great. I've always thought that ANIMALS, while being fantastic, musically (it's my second favourite Floyd record), was not up to Floyd's standards, sonically.

That's right, Richard. Actually, the original LP has the most top end, or air, or brilliance. But somehow that top end is absent from the CDs, making the CDs sound flat to the point of being dull. My problem is that my new speakers have a wide, full and neutral mid-range. They don't polish but expose everything that's going on in that spectrum, which is great, but it can also be somewhat frustrating (what used to sound good suddenly doesn't sound so great anymore). I thought I bought 'fun speakers' but they are actually quite audiophile. Give me 5 different remasters of Animals and I will tell you with ease all the differences between those CDs. I checked several releases (even the HD version) and, of the bunch, the Japanese CD has probably been the least 'remastered', so it's closest to the original sound. 

Had a real fun trip the last couple days to Milwaukee to see King Crimson with The Zappa Band and then the Hella Mega Tour at Summerfest (Weezer/Fall Out Boy/Green Day), all of the above delivered absolutely crushing live performances! My first time for all, what a blast. 

13 hours ago, AC1 said:

Have you heard? ABBA is back!

Listening to the new ABBA songs I immediately thought, it is really not a given that someone like John Williams after such a long career still writes such brillant music.

The new songs are more B-side level than anything else. Nothing remarkable. But these are the SINGLES of the new album of a band that wrote a lot of REMARKABLE songs.

I haven't listened to those two songs yet, but when I heard the news, my first reaction was, how is their singing going to sound after all these years? Age changes someone's voice and it's rarely for the better. 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do you remember the Crimso line-up, or what they played?

Lineup was Fripp, Tony Levin, Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk, Pat Mastelloto/Gavin Harrison/Jeremy Stacey on drums 

Setlist was Hell Hounds of Krim, Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part I, Pictures of a City, Red, Epitaph, Discipline, Radical Action II, Level Five, Tony's Cadenza, Neurotica, Indiscipline, Court of the Crimson King, and Starless, encore 21st Century Schizoid Man. 

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

I haven't listened to those two songs yet, but when I heard the news, my first reaction was, how is their singing going to sound after all these years? Age changes someone's voice and it's rarely for the better. 

Perhaps they're letting the Abbatars to the singing, too.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:09 PM, Jay said:

lol, this scathing review of Kanye West's new album is fun to read

https://www.avclub.com/kanye-west-s-donda-is-a-bloated-incoherent-mess-1847593067

So this could be the end of people saying his music redeems his behaviour, then? Good.    

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

...Neurotica...

Oh, wow. I'd like to hear how Jakko handles the vocals, on NEUROTICA.

Belew does such a great job.

Evidently he's getting a good reply :)

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I've seen that concert. It was way too loud and the 3 drummers constantly hitting crash cymbals was horror for my tinnitus. 

The only time I ever saw Crimso in concert, was in April (I think), 1995, on the THRAAK tour, at the R.A.H.

Three words: fan tas tic!

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

COCTEAU TWINS are a hidden gem of English pop.

Elizabeth Fraser's vocals on Massive Attack's TEARDROP are lovely, as well.

I don't quite know why, but in my head, they are paired with Dead Can Dance.

Yes, somehow. Both bands published at 4AD and I think, Elizabeth Fraser and Lisa Gerrard both sang for This Mortal Coil. But that's probably where the connection ends? Don't know. 

My favourite Dead Can Dance album was Within the Realm of a Dying Sun.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:32 PM, AC1 said:

Have you heard? ABBA is back!

Yes, I've been listening to their new songs.

I like them, even though they're more in their mid 70s style. I was hoping for more songs in the style of their excellent and sophisticated last album, THE VISITORS (their best) from 1982, but maybe the other songs have some of that. Rest of the album is released November 5.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

I like them, even though they're more in their mid 70s...

You got that bit right! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

THE VISITORS (their best)

Absofrigginglutely!

Cracking Up is superb!

Although it's not my favourite ABBA record, THE VISITORS is definitely their best...so far...

Maybe this is the OPUS 10, we've been waiting for.

I was there in 1978 but ultimately the hit single is the only good thing about it. The narration really gets on my nerves after a while. They should delete it.