Best Williams Choir piece

Pelzter

Mine is definitely The Dark Side Beckons, which is the single greatest choral melody I have ever heard by anyone, period. A close second is the Immolation cue from Schindler's List, which is incredibly beautiful and utterly terrifying at the same time.

Thoughts?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again this subject? We had it two years ago already.

Anyway, there are more possibilities now.

I love Williams' use of choir as an orchestrational effect. Here's my fav 10 choir cues:

1) Jurassic Park - Theme from Jurassic Park

2) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Journey to Hogwarts

3) Call of the Champions

4) Hook - The Face of Pan

5) Jurassic Park - Incident on Isla Nublar

6) Jurassic Park - Mining for Amber and Bones (= The Encased Mosquito)

7) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Double Trouble

8) Revenge of the Sith - Palpatine's Teachings

9) The Last Crusade - The Penitant Man Will Pass

10) Return of the Jedi - The Dark Side Beckons

"Farewell Neverland", or anything else from Hook. Also, "The Visitors/Goodbye/End Title" from Close Encounters.

"Final Duel" from Return of the Jedi. Gotta blast that one so pictures fall off the walls.

"The Face of Pan" is also quite good, it gives me shivers.

Mine is definitely The Dark Side Beckons, which is the single greatest choral melody I have ever heard by anyone, period.

runners up:

Theme from Jurassic Park

Main titles /The Seance(Family Plot)

Stealing the Stones (ToD)

Dawn the Map Room (Raiders)

Going to Sleep( Heartbeeps)

Battle of the Heroes

Gloria (Monsignor)

Guest macrea

"Exsultate Justi"

So many other good ones, including other cues from Empire of the Sun, going all the way back to Family Plot - tough to make a top selection. Just thinking about them makes me want to listen to them.

Duel of the Fates is an obvious, but nonetheless brilliant piece. I have heard it performed without vocals but it is clear that it was meant as a choral piece first, and a fantastic exercise in orchestral counterpoint second.

Immolation is beyond words. It conveys so much tragedy and horror. I don't listen to it often - not because I don't like it but it can at times be overwhelming when thought of in context.

I rather like "Anakin's Dark Deeds." as well.

Yeah, the chorus is good in that, but it's the dark fanfares that really make the cue something special.

Star of Bethleham, full choir version, is probably the top with honorable mention to Dry your Tears Africa , Hymn to the Fallen and Dark Side Beckons

Dark Side Beckons

and this one from RotJ always gets shafted but it is truly used to a spectacularly creepy effect.."Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor." It;s very subtle, but without it, that segment of the track would fall apart.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned any of the 3 songs from "Rosewood", the best choral writing by John Williams so far. Unfortunately they're far from being brilliant...

I prefer his understanding of the choir, as MSM has stated, as another instrument of the orchestra. "Cadillac of the Skies", "No Road Home / Seeing The Bomb", "Hymn to the Fallen" and "Sierra Leone, 1839" are my favorite.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned any of the 3 songs from "Rosewood", the best choral writing by John Williams so far. Unfortunately they're far from being brilliant...

Oh, they're very good! Especially the fact that they sound so "authentic", when Williams doesn't usually write gospel music. ;) I'm even more fond of the guitar stuff in that score though.

really is best choir piece is Exsultate Justi

now his best choral piece, thats something else.

at least as I understand choral to mean vocal without words.

Oh, they're very good! Especially the fact that they sound so "authentic", when Williams doesn't usually write gospel music. ;) I'm even more fond of the guitar stuff in that score though.

Well, I meant that from an strict choir writing point of view. It sounds quite authentic, definitely, considering Williams hadn't written any gospel music since the 50's.

at least as I understand choral to mean vocal without words

That's not right. Choral can be used in both cases.

Either way Peio, mine is the only correct answer.

Exsultate Justi is absolutely one of the greatest things John has ever done.

Is it still your favorite JW score Peio, I am wondering. I hardly ever mention it yet its one of my most played.

It was my favorite the last time I checked... I just stopped caring about those lists long ago, that's all. Actually, it would be a tie-up of 10 scores.

I rather like "Anakin's Dark Deeds." as well.

Yeah, the chorus is good in that, but it's the dark fanfares that really make the cue something special.

That piece is quite powerful and has given me goosebumps from time to time. Mainly the part where in the movie palpatine says something along the lines of "To create the first Galatic Empire" and cue in thunderous applause and brilliantly earth shaking john williams music.