Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

I mean, why can't directors and photographers experiments with color, look, feel and mood? Or why must everything look the same, which is what some of you seem to want?

But everything DOES look the same. Not in a good way though.

Perhaps you have been unlucky. I certainly see a lot variety out there. All the last movies I've seen look very different from one another. It would be a lie if I said everything looks the same. Very odd.

I exaggerate. But a lot of films that should be bright(ish) are drained of colour for no other apparent reason than the "dark and gritty" trend.

It doesn't happen to all films though. The Hobbit, for example, looks beautiful enough where appropriate.

But if they can make the Caribbean look like the North Sea in the Pirates of the Caribbean films, while they filmed in the Caribbean, they certainly took a wrong turn.

I can think of no good reason to do that, unless the subject matter really calls for it. And fun pirate adventure does not. And neither does Superman.

In fact, I haven't been watching a lot of new films lately because I've just been getting bored with them.

The last ones I really cared for to any extent were The Hobbit, John Carter and The Adventures of Tintin.

War Horse, Super 8 and Captain America (minus silly sequel hook ending) were none too shabby either and The Avengers was more entertaining than I expected.

But that's about it. Haven't even seen The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Returns. Saw the first one and didn't even remotely like the concept.

Like the American flag inserted in an almost subliminal way.

'MERICA!

well Superman does stand for Truth Justice and the American Way,

and if you notice he is in Kansas, something Dorothy couldn't say much of the time.

Zod's cloak is going to get caught in all the sharp points of his suit of pointed armor.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. "I don't know a thing about the finished product, but I see that PG-13 warning and automatically assume the worst, and my fears are driving my sadness."

How do I add the fiddle player emoticon on mobile?

I don't want Superman to be dark and brooding. I want him to be reserved but forceful, confident, smart, and here to fight for truth, justice, and the American way. that's not to much to ask.

one thing that doesn't get played up enough in the movies is Superman is extremely intelligent, superior in reality.

On that last part, I've got to ask: why? Good is good regardless of country. So why bring any specific country into it in the first place?

When you discover your father is an alien of a technologically advanced species that happily jumbles all places on Earth together that kind of because a bit meaningless.

I mean, I'm a Spaniard, but I don't don't fight for The Spanish Way because I don't even know what the hell would that be supposed to mean.

Then there's the part on whatever external history that line has.

In any case, I don't think people around well would be inmterested on Superman and whatever The American Way is. I think here people aren't even aware of that line. So it isn't an essential component of the character in any way.

And those massive DC crossover events. Sure, the multiverse is being destroyed! Fight for the American Way! Er...

Yeah that is an interesting thing about America. It is the only country that produces film to express its way of life. No other country does that really.

Not an attack here. Just an observation.

Karol

Because he is...american?

Who? Joey or Supes?

BTW, there's nothing particularly American about tales of gods and myths.

Alex

Yeah that is an interesting thing about America. It is the only country that produces film to express its way of life. No other country does that really.

Not an attack here. Just an observation.

Karol

Maybe it's a an historical thing. Or maybe it's the size of the country and its relative isolation.

I mean, here people have no delusions about themselves. You can an overall history of the place until the Iron Age, although with massive loss of detail as you go backwards. But I'm not sure there was any kind of writing on the territpry of the current USA before European conquest.

But also depends on what you mean. Certainly people of other countries have reflected their local things in their art or their movies (positive and negative). Maybe even resorting to propaganda when it came to it. What I think they don't normally have in most places is a massive industrial complex of film production and a sort of ideal of what they're supposed to be (note: I don't actually know if that actually exists on USA, but it's the impression one gets from some films made there and some comments by people of the USA). In that context, the whole The American Way thing might be harder to understand to people from the outside.

I think the Romans had a similar thing, though. They holded some stuff as specific Roman ideals they have to live by or to live up to. They even had some of their historical figures presented as heroic embodiments of these.

Maybe it's a an historical thing. I mean, here people have no delusions about themselves. You can an overall history of the place until the Iron Age, although with massive loss of detail as you go backwards. But I'm not sure there was any kind of writing on the territpry of the current USA before European conquest.

But also depends on what you mean. Certainly people of other countries have reflected their local things in their art or their movies (positive and negative). Maybe even resorting to propaganda when it came to it. What I think they don't normally have in most places is a massive industrial complex of film production and a sort of ideal of what they're supposed to be (note: I don't actually know if that actually exists on USA, but it's the impression one gets from some films made there and some comments by people of the USA). In that context, the whole The American Way might be hard to understand to people from the outside.

I think the Romans had a similar thing, though.

Well, obviously, there are elements of chauvinism like this in each culture, it's part of its identification. But not sure if it was ever employed to films that were supposed to be successful worldwide.

Karol

I mean, I'm a Spaniard, but I don't don't fight for The Spanish Way because I don't even know what the hell would that be supposed to mean.

To crush bulls, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Wait, what?

On that last part, I've got to ask: why? Good is good regardless of country. So why bring any specific country into it in the first place?

the answer to why is because Superman in the past has stood for Truth Justice and the American Way!

Apparently you don't know your Superman lore.

Of course Saturday Night Live used to do their What If? sketches back in it's earliest days. They did what if Superman landed in Nazi Germany instead of Kansas. Superman saved Hitler from a bomb, and discovered that Jimmy Olstien was actually a Jew by using his X-ray vision. This forced the US to develop a Kryptonite bomb. Ah Classic SNL.

Superman is American. Deal with it. For decades, America was the promised land of opportunity for the world, so movies promoted that jingoism. Now we're just a joke in the world scene, but foreign countries still want our financial aid, buy our products, and watch our movies. Stop having it both ways.

Want a Dutchie or Spanish superhero, spreading tulips, or smallpox to the Indians? Go invent him.

For the record, Iran edits American movies to remove the things that don't jive with their hardline values.

Superman is American. Deal with it. For decades, America was the promised land of opportunity for the world, so movies promoted that jingoism. Now we're just a joke in the world scene, but foreign countries still want our financial aid, buy our products, and watch our movies. Stop having it both ways.

Want a Dutchie or Spanish superhero, spreading tulips, or smallpox to the Indians? Go invent him.

For the record, Iran edits American movies to remove the things that don't jive with their hardline values.

I don't understand why USAnians jumps this way when people talk about the stuff the USAnian industry sells to rest of the world that they didn't even paricipate in the making! And the reason I say this is because in my experience people not from the US aren't this defensive.

I don't care about a Dutchie or a Spanish superhero. If I'm in the mood for superheroes, I really don't mind where they're from. Superman is interesting because he's Kryptonian, not because he's from the USA.

And what the hell has censorship by the Iranian government have to do with anything?

If you don't like outsiders commenting on USAnian products, vote for a govenrment that intervenes the distribution industry and downplays the distribution of films made in the USA in the outside. Because people on the outside get their idea of the place from these films.

(There's a comedian here who bases al lot of his humour in comparing Spaniards with USAnians, basing himself in absurd Hollywood cliches ROTFLMAO )

Finally, didn't Superman renounce to his USAnian citizenship in the comic books? I don't know how it went exactly. I know it was a short story written by David S. Goyer. Out of continuity I think.

So blame Donner and Puzo for getting Superman's line wrong in the movie. Oh wait, it was grandfathered in from the very beginning.

I don't consider Donner's film to be the be all and end all of the Superman lore, by the way.

Superman is an American hero. Only a a tedious bore who refuses to leave his politics outside the auditorium would take objection to it.

I don't take objection to it due to politics. I take objection to it because whithin cosmic the scale of the Superman mythos and the DC universe it spawned... it's fucking hilarious.

Superman represents an ideal, not the actual UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. He's how they would like to be, not how they are. Turns out most of the western world share the very same ideal, hence the character's broad appeal. *shrugs*

Superman is an undocumented illegal alien who sneaked over the border into the States, and who takes work away from honest American citizens.

Naturally we celebrate him for this.

I don't understand why USAnians jumps this way when people talk about the stuff the USAnian industry sells to rest of the world that they didn't even paricipate in the making! And the reason I say this is because in my experience people not from the US aren't this defensive.

I don't care about a Dutchie or a Spanish superhero. If I'm in the mood for superheroes, I really don't mind where they're from. Superman is interesting because he's Kryptonian, not because he's from the USA.

And what the hell has censorship by the Iranian government have to do with anything?

If you don't like outsiders commenting on USAnian products, vote for a govenrment that intervenes the distribution industry and downplays the distribution of films made in the USA in the outside. Because people on the outside get their idea of the place from these films.

(There's a comedian here who bases al lot of his humour in comparing Spaniards with USAnians, basing himself in absurd Hollywood cliches ROTFLMAO )

Finally, didn't Superman renounce to his USAnian citizenship in the comic books? I don't know how it went exactly. I know it was a short story written by David S. Goyer. Out of continuity I think.

We're American chaac, and Donner isn't the beginning of Superman lore or the idea that he's here for truth justice and the American way. the Name of our Country is America btw.

We're American chaac, and Donner isn't the beginning of Superman lore or the idea that he's here for truth justice and the American way. the Name of our Country is America btw.

I've never seen Superman as such, even though I've been reading comic books about him ever since I was 4. The Donner will came much, much later for me, so it isn't this vital to me.

Karol

It's older than the George Reeves Superman.

But it is mine. Superman's foundation has been set for a very long time.

So does China, but most of the time they just straight out ban our films.