Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

• 2 weeks later...

Just wish it wasn't $42 for a single damn movie.

It's not a single movie. Hearts of Darkness is not your average DVD bonus making-of, it was an (award-winning) movie in its own right and was theatrically exhibited in some cases. It has its own distribution and is a separate release, so this is essentially for all intents and purposes a boxset.

Just wish it wasn't $42 for a single damn movie.

It's not a single movie. Hearts of Darkness is not your average DVD bonus making-of, it was an (award-winning) movie in its own right and was theatrically exhibited in some cases. It has its own distribution and is a separate release, so this is essentially for all intents and purposes a boxset.

True, it is more of a documentary than a making-of feature, but still. If has its own distribution, distribute it separately, or keep the box set and have the movie as a stand alone. $30-$35 is understandable, but $42? I don't think so.

Quick question: is there anything wrong with the recent blu release of the lotr movies? Only I've found them for £20 and I'm thinking of getting them, having recently come to the conclusion that the theatricals are the superior cuts of the films.

Cheers.

Quick question: is there anything wrong with the recent blu release of the lotr movies? Only I've found them for £20 and I'm thinking of getting them, having recently come to the conclusion that the theatricals are the superior cuts of the films.

Cheers.

Not unless you're a hyperbole merchant who doesn't really know anything about DNR but will just jump on the bandwagon despite not realizing much about filmmaking in general outside what you've read on the unauthorised biography of Tarantino.

In short, no. Buy them, especially at that price.

I watched FOTR on blu ray the other week, and the picture quality was nice, but didn't blow me away. There was certainly nothing wrong with it

So the "upscaling" stories I've heard are false?

Bargain or not, I'll only buy these if it they aren't half-baked in the visual/audio department - I don't want to see a superior print on a future blu release, know what I mean? I don't want to buy these movies yet again. The extras (or lack of) don't matter to me.

So the "upscaling" stories I've heard are false?

Bargain or not, I'll only buy these if it they aren't half-baked in the visual/audio department - I don't want to see a superior print on a future blu release, know what I mean? I don't want to buy these movies yet again. The extras (or lack of) don't matter to me.

Yes, anyone who tells you they look like upscaled DVDs is a moron, or has a freaking white stick. FOTR looks pretty damn good, but not pristine, mostly because they spent a lot of time on digital grading which was a new process at the time. TTT and ROTK look amazing.

Yup, I also read that TTT and ROTK look better than FOTR

And there was no upscaling, they scrapped the existing HD masters (that had been used for TV broadcasts, for example) and created new HD masters for these blu rays

It just boils down to the fact that I begrudge buying the same movie three times, let alone four. I think that's a fair enough reason for expressing caution. You might love nothing more than throwing cash at your favourite franchises and such; I however do not.

Anyway, I've just spotted the last Trek movie on blu for a tenner too. Might have to grab that aswell.

The Color Purple is scheduled for a digibook release on January 25th.

An unexpected Spielberg release, but a Spielberg release nonetheless. Will probably blind buy.

it's supposed to have the isolated unused Williams score.

According to The Digital Bits The Abyss may end up getting a Blu-Ray release next year.

Okay... the following should be considered VERY tentative. However, we've now heard it from multiple independent sources, including reliable industry insiders, so.... Sources are telling us that director James Cameron has been (or it about to begin) working on a new high-def transfer and master of The Abyss, presumably for eventual Blu-ray Disc release.

All I can say is, it's about damn time and I hope it'll be in true 16:9. I for one will pick it up.

I just hope it's not an overblown cut of the movie. Shorter is better, and in The Abyss' case: a little shorter than even the theatrical cut would be interesting.

To each their own I actually prefer the Director's Cut. The scenes that were deleted were practically essential to the film, especially at the end with Bud and the Aliens.

Oh I love that stuff too, but not the tidal wave stuff.

I'm actually referring to much earlier in the movie; I think a few moments could be trimmed down or deleted completely, in order to improve pacing. One of the biggest complaints with the movie upon its original release was that it was a bit bloated and I have to agree with that.

Charles de Lauzirika:

Ridley Scott personally supervised and approved the new master. I know because I was there with him at each session. He's very happy with the new "Gladiator" master. As he is with the new "Alien" master, by the way.

Apparently, the new Blu-ray of Gladiator looks like reference material.

Alex

Yep. Shocking to see actual proper customer service, I know.

We ask that you send us just your disc 1 in an envelope with your name and address enclosed. Please keep your original packaging and we will post you out a new disc 1.

Please note new discs will not be available in the UK for approximately 1 month.

We will post back to any country as long as the UK disc was purchased.

Universal Pictures (UK) Ltd

‘Gladiator Exchange’

Prospect House

80-110 New Oxford Street

London

WC1A 1HB

Forget Blu-Ray: I'm waiting for Red-Ray.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, but we already had Red-Ray. They're called Compact Discs.

A CD is read by focusing a beam of light 780 nm in wavelength, which is near infrared. A Blu-Ray Disc uses a beam of light with a wavelength of 405 nm, which is in the blue range of the spectrum. The next logical improvement would be Violet-Ray or Purple-Ray.

As the wavelength decreases, the frequency of the beam (the total energy of the beam) increases. Additionally as you decrease the wavelength of light, you minimize the surface area occupied by the beam. The smaller the beam, the more discrete times you can "paint" the surface of the disc with the beam, which increases your overall storage capacity. Think about it like focusing a water hose or flashlight.

Now I know that 780:405 is "roughly" a 2:1 ratio, while the storage of a Blu-Ray is not twice that of a CD. The smallest BR hold 25 GB, compared to 700 MB on CD, which is almost a 36x increase. They've obviously made other improvements regarding the quality of storage material and how much information can be transferred in that laser beam.

I snagged the Omen Collection off Amazon for $26, which didn't sound too bad until the discs arrived in perhaps the cheapest, crappiest digipak ever. It's the movies that count, but a box set ought to feel more substantial, I should think.

Also picked up Drag Me to Hell, probably my favorite horror movie of the past 10 years.