Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Unbreakable and The Incredibles

Those are essentially movies for kids and teenagers. They are are a lot more ordinary in tone too. Although TDK paved the way, Watchmen is probably the first pure, real, uncompromised adult comic book movie. It certainly doesn't like to please everyone ... and you sense it the moment the movie starts. Personally, I think Watchmen is too much a 'one of a kind' movie to compare it to everyday movies like Unbreakable or The Incredibles. When I watched it, I couldn't believe the Hollywood suits allowed for it to happen. I saw the work of an artist who tries to please himself (as opposed to pleasing the audience). I realized somewhat sadly that this a one time event, or something that occurs once every 25 years.

Alex

Please. Unbreakable is a brilliant film. As Tarantino once put it, it's a Superman movie in which Superman doesn't know he has superpowers. We already have a realistic Supes film in that regard. Man Of Steel is going to be green screen slow motion crap like the rest of Snyder's films.

Tarantino is not a very reliable judge of what constitutes a good film.

Yes, according to him, the best movie last year was that ape movie.

I like Unbreakable. In fact, it's the only Shymalan that I really like ... but it's just a good movie with the Koray factor a little bit too high though, especially during the domestic scenes.

Unreakable is an awesome movie. Easily Shyamalan's best. I used to say only it and Sixth Sense were his good films, but now that I haven't been compelled to revisit Sixth Sense in over a decade I have no problem saying Unbreakable is his only great film. I dunno what happened to him after that...

There's also the music. Watchmen uses well preexisting music in the credits sequence and the Mars sequence. Unbreakable and The Incredibles have great original scoring (I mean great in the sense of how its used, although it's good music as well). Being on this forum I can't help but notice that.

I think the music of Dylan and Glass is used to great effect. I could never say, this movie is better because it has music specifically written for it.

There's also the music. Watchmen uses well preexisting music in the credits sequence and the Mars sequence. Unbreakable and The Incredibles have great original scoring (I mean great in the sense of how its used, although it's good music as well). Being on this forum I can't help but notice that.

I think the music of Dylan and Glass is used to great effect. I could never say, this movie is better because it has music specifically written for it.

Agreed on both counts.

What's the Koray factor? :lol:

You two are a couple divvys when you get together - you realise that, no?

Trust me: you are. I imagine you both to be cupping each others balls for camaraderie and moral support purposes, Stefan especially.

Or Crash.

Amazing, Steef, I was thinking about this film too but I couldn't remember the title. Crash is overkill. It's like falling into a bathtub full of Koray. Afterwards, you never need another dose again.

Alex

Crash is one of those films that could have worked if they did not SPELL OUT E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!

Look, the cop is rascist yes...but look, he's taking care of his ailing father, you see....did you see that? So this means that he's not totally bad, you understand!

C'mon Alex, it's obvious to anyone who knows how this works that the reason you always pick on Koray is to make yourself feel better about your own failings. You know - that deep rooted stuff which plays on your mind from time to time. I understand we could all do with a boost sometimes, but there are other ways.

Get out of it silly dutchman! That was a direct 'confrontation' between Alex and Ricard, and completely fair game. Here, Alex likes to call Koray names purely for his own amusement, which would be fine if it weren't so mean spirited.

You watching too many soaps in your extended unemployment or what?

Eastenders should be cast into the crack of doom.

Anyway, tonight my mother and two brothers will be here and we shall all be watching the Tintin Blu-ray. Really looking forward to it!

C'mon Alex, it's obvious to anyone who knows how this works that the reason you always pick on Koray is to make yourself feel better about your own failings. You know - that deep rooted stuff which plays on your mind from time to time. I understand we could all do with a boost sometimes, but there are other ways.

I don't know what you are talking about. I'm just trying to point out what kind of tone Koray digs. I'm very good at sensing those things. I'm not picking at him at all.

As a matter of fact, you are picking at me. You don't like my friendship with Steef. I detect some jealousy in you. :lick:

Alex - pure and innocent in heart and mind

Anyway, tonight my mother and two brothers will be here and we shall all be watching the Tintin Blu-ray. Really looking forward to it!

It's not out until March, unless you're talking about the animated series.

I don't think Crash is a great movie, it's good though. Paul Haggis is a good screenwriter, not the best. I prefer In The Valley Of Elah.

I like movies with a lot of a dialogue, and movies with barely any dialogue. Malick, Leone, Tarantino, Coen, Scorsese, Anderson. Everything else is fair game, I enjoy movies.

You like movies with a lot of dialogue. Fine.

But the quality of the dialogue should also be important.

With Crash I felt like Haggis was talking to me like I was a 4 year old.

Obviously. One of my high school friends probably put it best for you guys: Crash should have been called Racism: The Movie. It's not a deep film, but I think it's well made. Nor do I really think it's dialogue heavy. I like meaty dialogue like Tarantino or Gilroy's Michael Clayton.