Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I had a look at a blu-rip and the picture upgrade really didn't seem anything to write home about. TLW still looks very fuzzy, and the original actually seems to have aged more.

I really think that only isolated scores would have ultimately got me to buy this, especially at the current price (3 of the 4 BDs I own have some form of isolated music feature).

And the kid from TLW was absolutely pointless, and worse, she's the reason for the conversation scene at the beginning which I can't believe wasn't cut from the film.

The picture quality for TLW is just mediocre. I expect no less from Universal catalogue titles, most of their DVDs looked overprocessed too.

I have to learn not to trust blu-ray.com reviews as much as I have, since they've given bad video quality better ratings than they've deserved.

The picture quality for TLW is just mediocre. I expect no less from Universal catalogue titles, most of their DVDs looked overprocessed too.

I have to learn not to trust blu-ray.com reviews as much as I have, since they've given bad video quality better ratings than they've deserved.

Lost World looks pretty accurate to me. I think that soft visual look was intentional. It's always been there. Maybe to better blend the live action and CG elements together or for some other creative reason. As for the Blus, I haven't viewed them on a giant screen, but I think they look good, but not exactly great. It's still worth it if you're a fan, especially when the price drops. They did go all-out for the audio and it's the best the movies have looked at home.

The only Universal Blus I own are the Jurassics, Back to the Futures, Psycho and American Werewolf in London. I was fairly satisfied with those, aside from the atrocious menus.

Got the 4 disc Deathly Hallows Blu ray exclusive set at Target today.

Was the packaging destroyed by Target's Spyder security things?

no, but there was no security spyder whatever that is on it.

I like the cover best too since it's the Hogwarts is burning cover.

ok I ended up buying the HP 8 movie collection. The packaging is compact and for HP I don`t need all the extra crap that comes with the individual releases

Can anyone confirm that the disks are in individual plastic holders I don't want to open the set yet

One thing that slightly horrified me about the Star Wars set is the disks are wedged into cardboard sieves (am I the only one?)

I got the 8 film collection too, I don't really have any interest in extras aside from deleted scenes for these films so this set was perfect and cheap.

It comes in one thick bluray case, I haven't opened it yet but I can at least promise they're not slipped into cardboard!

I got the 8 film collection too, I don't really have any interest in extras aside from deleted scenes for these films so this set was perfect and cheap.

I think it has most of the extras and special features that are in the normal Blu Ray individual releases, the ones that fit on 1 blu ray disk. Probably not as much as those "ultimate" releases

One thing that slightly horrified me about the Star Wars set is the disks are wedged into cardboard sieves (am I the only one?)

I can't help you with the HP set, but I agree about Star Wars. I've read so many compliments about that packaging and I simply don't understand beyond it looking kinda neat as a closed book. Open it up, witness all the terrible artwork and realize the packaging was not designed in any way to protect, but rather damage, the discs. I'm looking into getting replacement cases. The slim BD ones won't fit in the outer box.

I can see the HP case is like a blue plastic BD case only thicker

I assume it has plastic "pages" with hinges inside. if so that's how they should have done sthe SW one. It's even thinner and therr's 8 movies

I just opened mine and can confirm it's the plastic pages with teeth.

And these are the extras for each film:

Sorcerer's Stone-

Additional Scenes

Capturing the Stone: A Conversation with the Film Makers

Around the World Multilanguage Cip

Caracter Clips

Lessons in Quidditch and a Tour of Hagrid's Hut

Chamber of Secrets:

Additional Scenes

Conversation with Author JK Rowling and Screenwriter Steve Cloves

Dumbledore's Office: Building a Scene

Visit Lockhart's Classroom

Interviews with Students and Professors

Prisoner of Azkaban:

Additional Scenes

Creating a Vision with the Director, Author, and Others

Conjuring a Scene: On-Set Craftspeople Wizardry

Shrunken Head Interview

Choir Practice

Care of Magical Creatures

Goblet of Fire:

Additional Scenes

Cast and Crew Interviews

Preparing for the Yule Ball

Triwizard Tournament Challenges, Including Harrry vs. the Horntail, In Too Deep, and The Maze

Order of the Phoenix:

Additional Scenes

Focus Points: Featurettes and Production Diaries

Trailing Tonks on a Personal Set Tour

Harry Potter: The Magic of Editing

Half-Blood Prince:

Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode: Interviews, Focus Points, and Scene Comparisons

Deathly Hallows pt. 1:

Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode: Interactive Journey

Deathly Hallows pt. 2:

Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode: Blowing Up Hogwarts

Disappointed by the lack of deleted scenes for the last 3 films, but I have the individual releases for Half-Blood Prince and Hallows Part 1 so i can just look online for the scenes from Part 2.

Yea I got the SW set from my GF for my bday, but I really want the LOTR and JP sets, but won't get them until I can find a REALLY good deal on them.

As for the HP series, I am collecting the Ultimate Editions. So far I have 2-4, all gotten at Newbury Comics when they do a B1G1 used bluray sale for ~$13 each

I think the LotR Extended cut bot set will be dirt cheap eventually

That's why i'm not so much in a hurry .54$ was still too expensive

HP 8 blu Ray= ,12$cdn a movie , that's about as low as I've seen the individual movies several years after release .I made the only mistake of buying PoA for 13$ a few months ago.

In the case of the HP movies I didn't really want the extras except deleted scenes

The only movies I wanted the extras so far is Star Wars Saga and Kick-Ass

Hopefully

I'm just waiting for the next Newbury Comics BOGO sale, will stock up since they might be going out of business within a year.

I just opened mine and can confirm it's the plastic pages with teeth.

And these are the extras for each film:

Sorcerer's Stone-

Additional Scenes

Capturing the Stone: A Conversation with the Film Makers

Around the World Multilanguage Cip

Caracter Clips

Lessons in Quidditch and a Tour of Hagrid's Hut

Chamber of Secrets:

Additional Scenes

Conversation with Author JK Rowling and Screenwriter Steve Cloves

Dumbledore's Office: Building a Scene

Visit Lockhart's Classroom

Interviews with Students and Professors

Prisoner of Azkaban:

Additional Scenes

Creating a Vision with the Director, Author, and Others

Conjuring a Scene: On-Set Craftspeople Wizardry

Shrunken Head Interview

Choir Practice

Care of Magical Creatures

Goblet of Fire:

Additional Scenes

Cast and Crew Interviews

Preparing for the Yule Ball

Triwizard Tournament Challenges, Including Harrry vs. the Horntail, In Too Deep, and The Maze

Order of the Phoenix:

Additional Scenes

Focus Points: Featurettes and Production Diaries

Trailing Tonks on a Personal Set Tour

Harry Potter: The Magic of Editing

Half-Blood Prince:

Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode: Interviews, Focus Points, and Scene Comparisons

Deathly Hallows pt. 1:

Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode: Interactive Journey

Deathly Hallows pt. 2:

Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode: Blowing Up Hogwarts

Disappointed by the lack of deleted scenes for the last 3 films, but I have the individual releases for Half-Blood Prince and Hallows Part 1 so i can just look online for the scenes from Part 2.

did you not get the extra on the music of Harry Potter on #4. if not too bad, it's a John Williams love fest.

The extras on the blu ray for 7 and 8 are quite extensive. Some wonderful stuff. 8 deleted scenes for DH2. Only one should have stayed.

Amazon is having a huge sale on Blu rays all week long, though each sale only lasts for a few hours at a time. Check out the full list:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7756

Some other recent price drops I noticed today, seemingly unrelated to the sale (no idea how long they will stay this low):

Jackie Brown ($9)

Inglourious Basterds ($9.50)

Leon: The Professional ($11)

Seven (Book version) ($14)

Dollhouse: Season 2 ($18.50) SUPER THRILLED ABOUT THIS ONE

Bourne Trilogy ($24)

Jurassic Park trilogy ($30)

LOTR Extended box set ($50)

did you not get the extra on the music of Harry Potter on #4. if not too bad, it's a John Williams love fest.

The extras on the blu ray for 7 and 8 are quite extensive. Some wonderful stuff. 8 deleted scenes for DH2. Only one should have stayed.

Was Fred's death scene in the deleted scenes for DH2? That's pretty much the only one I can think of that I would have wanted to see in the film, and maybe an explanation for the audience of how Luna got to Hogwarts.

Was Fred's death scene in the deleted scenes for DH2? That's pretty much the only one I can think of that I would have wanted to see in the film, and maybe an explanation for the audience of how Luna got to Hogwarts.

No - at least not in the 3-disc set I bought at Target.

Fred's death scene is in the movie, it's when Voldemort is telling everyone that the battle is suspended. It's brief.