Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Is there a difference between Live Free Or Die Hard and Die Hard 4.0? Wasn't the latter title for its European release?

It's far from a proper Die Hard flick. For one, it's PG-13, and despite being allowed one "fuck," they still managed to fuck up his most famous one-liner. As an action film starring Bruce Willis, though, I find it very enjoyable.

I can watch Indy 4. I cannot watch Die Hard 4. It's horrible, and Die Hard in Russia should mean the franchise is Dying Hard.

I got the SW Saga last friday. I didn't exactly want the prequels, but then there they are. It's worth it for the bonus features.

I plan to get Jurassic Park, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Hook and The Lion King throughout the course of the fall.

I'm seriously looking into a storage system for my BDs and DVDs to eliminate the packaging. Not just for practicality. It's to the point where packaging just looks terrible. Everything needs to be modernized, slick, totally unrelated to the films contained within. I guess. I can't explain why else the iconic logo for the 1989 Batman movie was changed to this awful bootleg-looking version, the Star Trek sets look like Apple product packaging, the entire Star Wars saga is represented by the kid from Phantom Menace, etc. I can just imagine what the E.T., Jaws and Indiana Jones packaging will look like.

I got the SW Saga last friday. I didn't exactly want the prequels, but then there they are. It's worth it for the bonus features.

I plan to get Jurassic Park, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Hook and The Lion King throughout the course of the fall.

I'm seriously looking into a storage system for my BDs and DVDs to eliminate the packaging. Not just for practicality. It's to the point where packaging just looks terrible. Everything needs to be modernized, slick, totally unrelated to the films contained within. I guess. I can't explain why else the iconic logo for the 1989 Batman movie was changed to this awful bootleg-looking version, the Star Trek sets look like Apple product packaging, the entire Star Wars saga is represented by the kid from Phantom Menace, etc. I can just imagine what the E.T., Jaws and Indiana Jones packaging will look like.

Make custom artwork, simple.

Jaws will be handled the way Universal has screwed it up in the past, it will be the same ugly DVD cover, it's a constant of the Universal

Yes, Live Free and Die Hard is a silly movie. But doesn't anyone remember this scene from Die Hard 2?

yippeekiyay.jpg

Come on, now.

Also, there's an unrated version of Die Hard 4 out there that gives you pretty much all the gore and foul language you need.

Yes, Live Free and Die Hard is a silly movie. But doesn't anyone remember this scene from Die Hard 2?

yippeekiyay.jpg

Come on, now.

Also, there's an unrated version of Die Hard 4 out there that gives you pretty much all the gore and foul language you need.

I'd actually check that version out. Does it omit the god awful truck sequence?

It should be noted that this isn't a case where the movie was written and shot to be an R, and then the studio cut it down to PG13 after the fact, and the unrated DVD restores the director's original vision.

It was shot to be a PG13, and for the unrated DVD, they simply ADRed in some swear words and CGIed in some blood splats.

yippeekiyay.jpg

Come on, now.

okay you need to state why this is far fetched, there are numerous cases where a pilot has to eject from a plane sitting on the deck.

After getting the SW blu rays I was looking at what other movies I might get and the list is pretty short

Indiana Jones Box set

Harry Potter Box set ...maybe

A few select Spielberg films like Jaws,E.T., Close Encounters and A.I.

That's about it . I don;t want to repeat the DVD mistake of having unwatched movies on my shelf for several years

I skipped over the LotR Extended editions because I don;t see myself sitting through all 3 films again

There's no reason to own a bunch of movies on blu ray when it's so easy to just rent a blu ray for a buck or stream a movie you want to see online

Rental quality (via digital TV) is not so good in Belgium and for the price you can almost buy the DVD or in some cases the blu-ray. Video rental stores are a rare thing these days.

Yea, but me and KM don't live in Belgium.

That's were you have been going wrong!

Rental quality (via digital TV) is not so good in Belgium and for the price you can almost buy the DVD or in some cases the blu-ray. Video rental stores are a rare thing these days.

I have on demand streaming now on my cable TV subscription, which is good. But most of the HD stuff is a bit pricy considering you only have it for 24 hours. And the selection of titles is really not that great.

yippeekiyay.jpg

Come on, now.

okay you need to state why this is far fetched, there are numerous cases where a pilot has to eject from a plane sitting on the deck.

It's in the way it's executed. They have him fly up right to the lens, with just enough time to exclaim an "Oh, shit!" before he falls back down. It's silliness, played for comedy.

I guess you could argue Live Free and Die Hard misses this tongue-in-cheek element Die Hard 2 has, but I still find it a funny movie (perhaps unintentionally so). It's a fun movie to laugh at.

I forgot that Airplane!, The Naked Gun, and Plains Trains And Automobiles are out now on Blu. Best Buy exclusives at the moment, but it'll give me a reason to use my Shopkick points that I've been saving up. Not sure if I want to get The Naked Gun, though, might hold out for a box set.

• 2 weeks later...

First Blu Ray Review for the Jurassic Park Trilogy on Blu:

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/blu-ray/world-exclusive-review-jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-05-10-11

Seems as if the PQ is similar to the HD broadcasts, with film grain and not very much DNR for all 3 films. The AQ is said to be perfect, basically, as expected. And the new documentary seems to be well-made, and honest, and even features tributes to Stan Winston and Michael Crichton, and even touches on Jurassic Park- The Ride.