Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

The price of an HDMI cable does not dictate quality. But I do believe there are differences between different types, such as fiber optic, gold plated, THX Certified, etc.

No, there isn't.

Forgive the silly question. But with Blu-ray have they finally left the whole PAL versus NTSC thing behind them (PAL having a higher resolution but incorrect speed, NTSC having the correct speed but a lower resolution)

No. But you didn't ask the right thing. ;)

Neither NTSC nor PAL have incorrect speed. PAL has the higher resolution, NTSC has the higher frame rate. Each has its own speed, meaning that playing back a PAL recording in PAL will work perfectly, and the same goes for NTSC recordings played back in NTSC.

The problems arise when you cross-convert stuff, most importantly when you try to squeeze film's traditional 24fps into PAL's 50 or NTSC's 60 half fields. With PAL you'll get the wrong speed, with NTSC ugly jerky pans.

Blu doesn't have to deal with this, as the specification includes a true 24fps mode. Playback depends on your display, but modern displays have a 24 frame progressive mode (e.g. 1080p/24) to correctly reproduce the original frame rate.

Aren't there a few blu-rays that still have the PAL speed-up? Because they put some DVD master on the blu-ray or so?

I'm not aware of any film-based BDs that are not in 1080p. Doesn't mean they don't exist, of course.

Another silly question.

My player has 2 sound outputs HDMI and coaxial. Now I assume that the uncompressed audio only goes though the HDMI output and the coaxial handles the compressed dolby digital?

That's correct. If you select a lossless audio when playing, the player actually downgrades it before sending it out the coaxial output. The HDMI retains the true uncompressed signal

The 1954 B Classic the Egyptian is available on Blu, in a limited 3000 copies release.

It stars Jean Simmons.

It's Cleopatra from the 50's. It's grand camp. Not as campy as Land of the Pharohs, but still great

50's melodrama.

at 39.95 its still way to pricy.

Don't worry it will go down.

I refuse to buy any single movie Blu that costs over 14.99!

is that Euro's.

you knock yourself out of a lot of purchases. My blu collection is still small but I'm guessing I've got 30 titles or so.

Of course, I live in Europe.

15 Euro is about 21.5 in devaluated US Dollars these days.

I can get plenty for that kind of money, if I just wait. Also on the Internet you can find stuff at bargain prices.

of course you can get plenty for 21 bucks but I will pay more for sets and special editions.

the internet has fewer bargains than you make out.

of course the movies I listed are movies 99% of the people here wouldn't buy because they devalue old movies.

Today I saw Star Trek TOS season 2 on sale for 21 Euro's. Psycho for 9 Euro's. the Blade Runner DVD with 5 or 6 versions of the movie for 25 and the Alien box for 35.

Remember I said 14.99 was my limit for a single movie Blu ray release.

As for special features. For some films they are interesting. For most films they are crushingly dull. The same story all over again.

I will glady shell out 40 bucks for the Ben Hur Blu, for the film, for the extra's.

I don't care about tv shows in blu, I already have Star Trek on dvd, the series that is. I also have Star Trek the Next Generation and Star Trek Deep Space Nine on dvd, all three complete series.

Psycho proves to me that blu doesn't do much for old black and white movies, it's crisp and clean but everyone has those glowing eyes. What the hell will blu do to a black and white feature like Village of the Damned and Children of the damned.

Well TOS can look great on Blu because it's film. TNG is video, so will look shit.

But I agree. I don't have TOS in any form, so I might buy it. But if I had it on DVD i would not bother.

I would rather burn 40 Euro's then waste it on Ben Hur.

Well TOS can look great on Blu because it's film. TNG is video, so will look shit.

Isn't the deal with TNG that it's film, but edited on video, which is why the DVDs look merely ok and a decent Blu release is expensive? Latest news seems to be that they're still doing it, going back to the film masters for the Blu release.

Isn't the deal with TNG that it's film, but edited on video, which is why the DVDs look merely ok and a decent Blu release is expensive? Latest news seems to be that they're still doing it, going back to the film masters for the Blu release.

Great! That means I can buy them in a few years when the price comes down.

The Jurassic Park trilogy is coming to blu ray on October 25th

The first film has been the only title on my 'must buy' list since I got a player. I'll wait for the price to go <£20 before I shell out for all 3 (although a discovery of isolated scores for all of them would suddenly make me ignore the price tag... ahem).

I do wonder how particularly TLW will look. The DVD always looked a bit fuzzy to me. JPIII will look great - the DVD is sharp and with strong colours.

Hey Stefan, I got season 3 and 4 of the X-files for 13.49 each, now it's not blu, but I'm ok with that.

Great! That means I can buy them in a few years when the price comes down.

I'm currently re-watching TNG on DVD, so I'm in no hurry.

In other news, my LOTR EE Blu set arrived today. Now I'll have to set aside some time and coordinate with friends for a big viewing. I haven't seen these films in at least 5 years.

I got mine through WB Shop on Tuesday. It came with some nice character photographs, I may send them out for autographs. I have nothing better to do with them.

It's sales and so I found Burton's Alice In Wonderland and Tarantino's Jackie Brown for 10 and 5 Euro respectively. I almost bought Kramer vs. Kramer too but then I decided not to. It's not what I call "a Blu-ray movie".

Alex

Has there been any news about 24 on Blu-ray the last couple of months? Don't know whether to buy the DVD box-sets or wait.

When Miramax had all its stuff sorted out and the President or whoever stated that Pulp Fiction on Blu was their #1 priority, I was very pleased. I had read no news of Jackie Brown on Blu before, so nice to know that's in the works too.

I'm still waiting for Tarantino's The Whole Bloody Affair in regards to Kill Bill. So the only Blus I have of his are Inglourious Basterds and Death Proof.