Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I got the "Legend" ultimate edition on blu yesterday :-) I was a little disappointed to find out that the director's cut was in inferior picture quality due to its source material, but it still looks great. Not sure if I can make myself sit through the theatrical cut, though. The electronic score is soooo atrocious; of what I heard so far, it sounds more like a strange disco/film noir score than like something appropriate for a fantasy movie. I guess if you only knew it like that it may be okay, but I grew up watching the European version with Goldsmith's wonderful score, so...

I would like to see it with the electronic score. A lot of people prefer it that way (those who grew up with it, of course). OTOH, I don't really like the TC so I would much rather watch the longer version instead.

Alex

It features similarly insane photography. It is mildly entertaining, but not as memorable or engaging as those others. You'll also know early on how it's all going to end. Can't say I took much from it.

It feels like you've taken a shortcut and missed out on all the good parts of the journey. While Alien and Blade Runner are iconic sci-fi films for a mature audience, Legend feels like a failed Disney fantasy for the whole family. I believe I once read an interview where Scott said he wanted to prove that he can also make a "warm" film. Alledgedly, he was often accussed that he could only make cold films.

Personally, I feel the photography gets boring during the second part of the film. Too many close-ups of faces and no surroundings. I know the whole set burned down so maybe that's the reason. Or perhaps the close-ups are Ridley's idea of making a warm movie.

Alex

It took Ebert several decades to warm up to Blade Runner, and he is still not 100% sold on it.

I have been assured that my problems in the past with "Blade Runner" represent a failure of my own taste and imagination, but if the film was perfect, why has Sir Ridley continued to tinker with it, and now released his fifth version? I guess he's only... human.

Ebert doesn't have a clue.

First of all, a workprint is an unfinished cut and not an official version. Every movie has a workprint. It just happens that the workprint of Blade Runner got accidentally released in one theater.

1) TC and ITC - two different versions due to the rating commission. As everyone knows, the Theatrical Cut is actually a Producer's Cut and doesn't represent the vision of the director.

2) The DC which was a hastily job not done by Ridley Scott. It's the ITC (International Theatrical Cut) with narration and last scene (happy ending) removed. Ridley has always called this version the "So-called Director's Cut".

3) The Ultimate Cut. The first time Ridley got to do what he wanted. The first true Director's Cut.

BTW, there really isn't that much difference between the versions. Ebert makes it seem as if the new edit is a new film. He's just looking for an excuse why it took him, a world famous critic, 30 years to see what the rest of the world already knew a long time ago. OTOH, he now admits it was one of the few times where he was wrong.

Alex

To be somewhat fair to Ebert, a lot of fans, including me, needed more than one viewing before they loved the film. Ebert should've returned to the film much sooner. Luckily, I only waited 2 or 3 days before I went back to see it again.

Alex

It feels like you've taken a shortcut and missed out on all the good parts of the journey.

Oh no, Alex. I took in the whole thing twice and it's still on my DVR. I very much enjoyed the surreal visuals, wild makeup effects, creatures and the few minutes of a positively delicious Tim Curry. But the characters never really did anything for me and Scott could maybe have benefited from going a bit darker or edgier. It's a bit too formulaic. The production values are what really set it apart.

It feels like you've taken a shortcut and missed out on all the good parts of the journey.

Oh no, Alex. I took in the whole thing twice and it's still on my DVR. I very much enjoyed the surreal visuals, wild makeup effects, creatures and the few minutes of a positively delicious Tim Curry. But the characters never really did anything for me and Scott could maybe have benefited from going a bit darker or edgier. It's a bit too formulaic. The production values are what really set it apart.

Yes, but doesn't the Theatrical Cut of Legend seem like it's lacking something? Even back in the day, it felt to me like there's no sense of journeying or distance travelled, you know, like LOTR or even Star Wars. It's a very short road with little or no side paths. I always wondered whether the longer cut solved this problem a bit.

If there's truly that much additional material, I'd check out the director's cut.

I think the DC is a whole different thing; I watched some of the TC, and I felt that they'd cut out much that let the characters appear more alive and likable or at least interesting (some scenes are positively truncated and make little sense). Sure, even in its DC the movie is still quite, well, stereotypical (?), but so is, essentially, Star Wars. I think it may have a lot to do with my growing up with it and remembering it fondly that I like it, and nowadays I mainly enjoy the dream-like mood and great sets and make-up, but it is still great escapist fun for me.

As for the TC, I had to stop after half the movie; it all felt too hectic, and the score just failed to evoke the emotions I'm used to. There are great electronic scores, but this one feels childish and random. It is strangely dark in otherwise pleasant scenes, and often quite relaxed in a detached way when it should evoke strangeness, magic, or fear. If you've never seen the European version or the DC, give it at least a try, guys...

it felt to me like there's no sense of journeying or distance travelled, you know, like LOTR or even Star Wars.

I strongly disagree, especially in regards to the former. In fact as far as LotR is concerned I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more. Which is quite something!

There are great electronic scores, but this one feels childish and random. It is strangely dark in otherwise pleasant scenes, and often quite relaxed in a detached way when it should evoke strangeness, magic, or fear.

Hmm, now you really are making me curious!

it felt to me like there's no sense of journeying or distance travelled, you know, like LOTR or even Star Wars.

I strongly disagree, especially in regards to the former. In fact as far as LotR is concerned I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more. Which is quite something!

What I mean is that the sense of journeying in LOTR, Star Wars, Wild At Heart, The Matrix (name your pick) is far greater. The road that runs through Legend's world is too short and simplistic. The problem is that there's simply not enough story or character development to evoke a sense of time and distance. The journey in the Theatrical Cut of Legend is therefore pretty much non-existent and it's the film's biggest shortcoming and perhaps the reason why the film generally failed to convince critics and audiences. It's the script. There's just not enough of it. Everybody agrees that the visual aspects were never the problem. I do, however, want to hear why you think it's exactly the opposite.

Alex

Ah, not to worry - it's the stupid interweb's fault again.

"It felt to me like there's no sense of journeying or distance travelled, you know, like LotR or even Star Wars."

The wording of the sentence threw me. Can you see where I'm coming from?

So basically the TC and the FC are the only ones really worth watching?

I wanna see the TC now to compare.

My favourite version will always be the so-called DC from the 90's. Granted, the transfer and everything about the latest version is absolutely top-notch (I watched it a few days ago), but, still, I think the older version left the ending a little bit more open and ambiguous. I'm talking about the whole "is Deckard a replicant?" thing. I think we don't need an answer at all. And the newest version does exactly that.

The narration version has a lot of followers, believe it or not. I can see why.

Workprint version is also interesting. But that's mostly because it uses different music and, from what I remember, it is a bit short.

Either way, they made a really great choice of making every single version available. Maybe they don't get equal treatment, but it's good that you can choose which one suits you best.

Karol

My favourite version will always be the so-called DC from the 90's. Granted, the transfer and everything about the latest version is absolutely top-notch (I watched it a few days ago), but, still, I think the older version left the ending a little bit more open and ambiguous. I'm talking about the whole "is Deckard a replicant?" thing. I think we don't need an answer at all. And the newest version does exactly that.

What "older" version do you mean? The DC or the TC?

Both feature the unicorn dream right? Though in one version it's a dream, and in the other a daydream.

It always has been a reverie.

Is there a Deckard's glowing eyes shot in the DC? I can't remember now..

Yes, his eyes glow in the background when he says to Rachael: "No. No, I wouldn’t. I owe you one. But somebody would."

Fine. So, I guess, DC is redundant then. But it has a certain sentimental value for me. It's how I fell in love with the film. Not the first version I've seen, but definitely that one that clicked with me.

Karol

My thoughts exactly about the TC. You can always prefer the DC for the difference in color grading, the cables, the photos on the piano pan shot, etc. It also feels less 'tight' than the newly edited FC.

I saw half of the theatrical version first, in class. A year later I saw the Final Cut at home, in English, and I fell in love with it around ten minutes in.

So is the failure of Legend why Ridley turned to more commercial fare?

On TV they once did a Ridley Scott double bill. Alien and Someone Watch Over Me. ;)

I think he already tried that with Legend, by trying to make a "warm" film, remember? However, after the financial failures that were Blade Runner and Legend, he probably took what he could get (Someone to Watch over Me, Black Rain). Of course, it's debatable since Legend is still very much a set designer's film.

Alex

Finally a blu ray release for the three Jurassic Park movies as a trilogy set has been confirmed for later this year (holiday season) by Universal. That was about time! And it seems Indiana Jones gets a release next year...

Are you happy now, Scallenger ;-)

I don't want Jurassic Park ///. I skipped the Batman and Alien anthologies and the Godfather and Back to the Future trilogies because I didn't want all the sequels. I DO have a soft spot for The Lost World, however. What sucks is that you get screwed out of special features when you get those individual releases (admittedly not a main selling point for me). Warner seems to retain whatever was featured on the disc in the expanded releases. I would say they're the best at special features and stripping down elaborate box sets and franchise collections to single releases because of this.

Today I got the Coens' True Grit as well as Criterion's release of The 400 Blows.

My copy of True Grit should be delivered from Amazon any minute now. Can't wait to watch it again, it was so good!

I ordered Barry Lyndon (Amazon exclusive) and I have to wait a whole month before it gets here. Aren't internet shops great?!

Edit: Ah, good, just got a mail and the estimated delivery date is 14 July.

I was pleased to see confirmation that the Superman Movie Anthology does indeed include the original sound from Superman the Movie, not just the horrible remix. The horrible remix version is also included. Why anyone would bother to watch or listen is beyond me.

The ultimate editions of Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince come out Tuesday, Digital Bits gave good reviews to both sets.

Ordered the Superman the Motion Picture Anthology.

Picked up Back to the Future trilogy for $15. Amazing deal. I'm beginning to see that it pays to wait a little for upgrading DVDs. I may hold off on the Superman set for a while.

Adored the original on BD. Looked and sounded better than ever. I'd heard mixed things, but, yeah, phenomenal. The house rocked whenever the DeLorean zipped through time. I also checked out the first of the new interview features and they're pretty good.