Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

God you're right, it's awful.

That's one of those movies which frequently does the rounds on telly and I end up watching most of it. Hence why I'd never be interested in owning it.

I'd forgotten it was a Chris Columbus movie, too. I do however remember that Howard Shore wrote a REALLY cheesy score for it, along the lines of a Jim Carey family comedy. Yuck.

I never paid too much attention to the score in that film, but as I recall, it was relatively inoffensive. Nothing I'd want to buy on CD, but there are more cheesy moments in any of the three LOTR scores.

whistle.gif

My (hopefully) final haul from Amazon's Criterion sale.

Amarcord

America Lost And Found: The BBS Story

- Head

- Easy Rider

- Five Easy Pieces

- Drive, He Said

- The Last Picture Show

- The King Of Marvin Gardens

- A Safe Place

Breathless

Broadcast News

Le Cercle Rouge

Modern Times

Yojimbo & Sanjuro

Now if only some of the films I really really want would go on sale, like Night Of The Hunter, Kagemusha, Seven Samurai, Charade, The Last Emperor, and Stagecoach. There are too many good ones!

Anyone know if the Superman The Motion Picture Anthology will feature the corrected sound, not the jack up atrocity that was on the dvd and was not supposed to be on the Superman DVD set?

btw, purchased the blu ray of Psycho, finally, my first b&w blu

its not worth purchasing if it doesn't. thanks Mark.

Hmmm, now I'm not sure. I could have sworn I read somewhere, or saw something Neil had posted on Facebook, that it would have the original mix but now I can't find any mention of it in the pre-release reviews.

The Criterion sale at Amazon has ended, and most titles have shot back to $30+ However some remain at the $20 mark.

I also happened to notice though, that several other titles have been reduced down to $25:

Stagecoach

Kagemusha

The Last Emperor

The Last Metro

Videodrome

The Darjeeling Limited

Days Of Heaven

The Thin Red Line

Charade

Cronos

Goddammit!!! I really want a lot of those, particularly The Last Emperor, Stagecoach, and Kagemusha. If only they'd go down $5 a piece, I'd snag them up in an instant.

Decided to pick up Kagemusha, The Last Emperor, and The Last Metro.

Need. Paycheck. Now!

Discovered Vivre Sa Vie and added that too. Oof, before you know it, I'll own every Criterion Blu release.

Bought couple of days ago:

51BwpOmJGKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is this anything like the Ridley's Director's Cut for Kingdom of Heaven? I saw that Robin Hood, it was alright, just not memorable. Is it worth seeing that cut? Granted all releases nowadays are OMG UNRATED CUTS.

Is this anything like the Ridley's Director's Cut for Kingdom of Heaven? I saw that Robin Hood, it was alright, just not memorable. Is it worth seeing that cut?

It doesn't change the movie drastically. It just get rid of some plot holes that were in the theatrical cut. There are a few interesting bits, though. One thing I liked in this version is that Robin and the Sheriff finally meet, and another is the scene where Robin meets the "Lost Boys". These were good additions.

Alright, yeah I figured as much as not changing it drastically. Kingdom of Heaven had to be longer.

Maybe I'll check out Robin Hood again, thanks!

Amazon's Deal of the Week is Raging Bull: 30th Anniversary Edition for $12.49

Here are also some details and photos of the upcoming Ben-Hur Ultimate Collector's Edition. These sets are fantastic. I have the one for Gone With The Wind, and will be getting the recently announced one for Citizen Kane. Will probably get the ones for The Wizard Of Oz and Casablanca eventually.

War of the Worlds and Minority Report are now $15 at Wal-Mart. I snatched W.O.W. I mean, it's not a great movie by any means. At points, it feels more like your standard Hollywood kind of popcorn flick rather than something directed by Spielberg. At other points, it's pretty damn cool. It's generally always watchable, though. But the deciding factors in this purchase: Spielberg, bitchin' video and audio, John Williams music and 12-minute featurette...and it's cheap.

Now if they'd just mark down Indy IV significantly.

It's a textbook example of choosing all the good bits for the trailer. I was underwhelmed at the cinema.

The only thing that would get me to buy Indy IV is if it had an iso score.

War of the Worlds was my first Spielberg at the cinema. And the first I remember waiting eagerly for its release. It had me in awe.

The first Spielberg in cinema? How old are you?

War of the Worlds was my first Spielberg at the cinema. And the first I remember waiting eagerly for its release. It had me in awe.

The first Spielberg in cinema? How old are you?

Check his profile, he is 1-9

The usual stuff:

Spartacus

Lolita (New to Blu)

Dr. Strangelove

A Clockwork Orange (New Transfer)

Barry Lyndon (New to Blu)

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

Eyes Wide Shut

Add Criterion's Paths Of Glory and The Killing and I think you're set.

Eh, I'll just rent them all. As I've gotten older I've realized there isn't a huge point to owning movies you aren't going to watch over and over and over again when it's so easy to rent or stream them

Eh, I'll just rent them all. As I've gotten older I've realized there isn't a huge point to owning movies you aren't going to watch over and over and over again when it's so easy to rent or stream them

I need to take your approach but I do tend to watch some movies over and over.

I used to have this enormous, enormous DVD collection. I would just join Columbia House over and over again and get tons of DVDs, cause they averaged out to like $6, so why not?

But now with blu ray I am far more selective. Only buy the true classics I feel proud to own legitimately, usually because I both LOVE the movie and the blu ray release is handled with care, featuring lots of special features, etc. I don't even own The Fifth Element on blu ray, despite it being literally one of my very favorite movies of all time, cause there's no special features on the disc at all.

Though now that I've typed that, I realize I rarely even WATCH special features any more. I think they were cool when DVDs first came out but I guess I'm not as much into learning about the film making process any more for some reason

the special features are what I enjoy most. Still I prefer many older films than you do. I'm facinated by how the old films did what they did even moreso than the late 20th century and early 21st century films.

But now with blu ray I am far more selective. Only buy the true classics I feel proud to own legitimately, usually because I both LOVE the movie and the blu ray release is handled with care, featuring lots of special features, etc. I don't even own The Fifth Element on blu ray, despite it being literally one of my very favorite movies of all time, cause there's no special features on the disc at all.

The remastered Fifth Element blu ray disc looks and sounds so great that it makes up for the lack of extras. While I enjoyed DVDs initially in part because of the extras, I strangely lost most interest in special features over time. I buy blu rays only for their picture and sound quality nowadays, and very rarely do I buy the more expensive version with special features when a simpler one is available. For example, I only bought the single disc Deathly Hallows blu ray, because it had the only extras I was actually interested in: the deleted scenes, and the interview with Desplat

Deleted Scenes have always been my favorite special feature, I wish every DVD/blu included them

I remember that as a very derivative and boring film, visually pretty with the costumes and such but typically lifeless, Ryan O'Neil is poorly cast, he's almost as bad as Shelly Duvall in the Shining(okay nothing is as bad as Shelly Duvall in the Shining, her acting is a true horror).

Lolita Blu-ray Review

Lolita is a fine film with several strong performances (Mason and Sellers are both excellent), but it lacks power, resonance and, above all, the one thing it really needs: Stanley Kubrick circa 1970.

Another Barry Lyndon Review

Barry Lyndon isn't an easy film to love. Then again, neither is Lyndon. Kubrick pushes, challenges and innovates his way through the 18th century with a cinematic effortlessness that cloaks his perfectionism and subsequent 300-day shoot. Even at its slowest, it's a beautiful film; even at its most infuriating, it captivates; even at its most cynical hour, it has something of value to say. It isn't Kubrick's most beloved masterpiece, but it's a masterpiece all the same.

The movie has only been released here in Australia on Blu-ray as a boxset and not as a seperate movie yet so I am left in the lurch for a while longer until it is.