Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I got the first two Sapphires. I have to admit, I don't even want the sequel anymore.

Also, look out this week for lightning deals at Amazon. Supposedly, the Toy Story and Star Trek sets will be featured.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Hur debuts on Blu on 09-27-11.

It features 8K resolution. The film is split over two disks. It should be amazing.

I'll add this and the Ten Commandments. Wish it was given the extra special treatment.

Wow - how? :)

There is a Dutch chain of pharmacy (drogisterij) stores that sell electronic stuff on the side. The shop near my house has almost no storage capacity so at times they will radically reduce prices on their overstock, indiscriminately. It's a Hiteker, which is not an A brand, and it looks like an 1980's CD player, but it costs only 25 Euro's!

PS: You mean you didn't see Watchmen on blu-ray? :eek:

Sadly now, but now I can!

I don't think I saw the DE for rent as a Blu-ray though.

There is no DC of Watchmen available around these parts, only the TC. I have the English version (from play.com) but you can also play the U.S. versions (even the Ultimate Cut) since Warner Blu-rays are region free.

Alex

Well at least they had the essentials. :wink:

Though by no means a very good film, for those that love to hear Jerry Goldsmith's wonderful score in the film, we now have Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend on Blu Ray, for the first time in Widescreen (as confirmed on the link and by people who have bought it). It is a Wal Mart exclusive until August, and can be found in select stores and bought online for only $5. For that price I will gladly get it. I sometimes appreciate bad films, especially if they had good intentions but just failed at presenting them. And you can't deny that the score is lovely. Too bad the audio is still only 2.0.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16641557

Target had it for $15, not $13. That's why Amazon had it for $15; They matched Target's price. I picked it up at Target myself!

Also recently got Sin City (2 Disc Unrated) from a $7.99 bin at K-Mart

Target had it for $15, not $13. That's why Amazon had it for $15; They matched Target's price. I picked it up at Target myself!

Also recently got Sin City (2 Disc Unrated) from a $7.99 bin at K-Mart

sorry Jason maybe it was 15 where you live but it was 13 here in Arkansas.

and ghostbusters for 7. Dave got both for 20 plus tax.

Back to the Future Trilogy is $15 at Target. I only really wanted the first movie, but I figured what the hell.

Better price than what I originally paid for it.

The movies do look great on Blu-Ray, especially the original. I don't regret buying it.

All though I had to get a replacement case from Universal as the tab that held Part 3's disc in broke. Whoever designed the case for the BTTF Trilogy should be shot.

I'm officially one of the converted. Even on this cut priced player the picture looked simply stunning.

I don't know how much of a difference the player model can really make with regards to digital video and audio. The information is stored on the disc, the player has to be able to read the disc exactly, once it has the correct data, it has to decode it and send the result through the digital connection. I don't see much freedom there to change anything between the disc and the output. Yes, reviews talk about it all the time, but I wonder if it's not just on the same level as the discussions about the quality of digital cables.

There are definitely differences in speed, handling and compatibility, and of course with regards to advanced features. If those are good enough for you, I don't think there can be much of a relevant difference to a more expensive player.

So it's like the HDMI thing.

The salesmen in the shop always insist you need their high end 140 Euro HDMI to properly enjoy HD picture, while an independent test a few months ago on a Dutch consumer program revealed no difference in picture quality between a high end cable and one bought for less then 3 Euro.

I was all set to cave into my wife's demands to go blu-ray until we upgraded our TV last November. The image upgrade on the new set negates switching to Blu-ray.

So count me as one of the last few JWFANs who hasn't and probably won't be converting anytime soon.

So it's like the HDMI thing.

The salesmen in the shop always insist you need their high end 140 Euro HDMI to properly enjoy HD picture, while an independent test a few months ago on a Dutch consumer program revealed no difference in picture quality between a high end cable and one bought for less then 3 Euro.

Unless there's an actual break or flaw in the cable, every single hdmi cable produces exactly the same quality of image.

Oh I don't blame you for that. If I saw a name brand Blu-Ray player for $25.00 to $30.00 US I'd grab it too.

And yeah you can buy a cheap HDMI cable and it will work just as well as the expensive ones.

Unless there's an actual break or flaw in the cable, every single hdmi cable produces exactly the same quality of image.

I'm using a 10m cinch video cable as the SPDIF connector from my PC to my amp. Works flawlessly. As you said, as long as the data arrives on the other side of the cable, everything's fine. In the case of compressed audio, it's easy to verify because faulty bits in the signal will cause my receiver to go silent for half a second in DTS mode (until it finds the next compression frame, I suppose).

Cable quality does matter with regards to length. The longer the cable gets, the likelier a cheap cable is to drop some data. I don't know what effect that would have on video (I don't know how video is transmitted over HDMI). But if you need a lengthy HDMI cable (5m+), I guess investing a little (not too much) makes sense.

I was all set to cave into my wife's demands to go blu-ray until we upgraded our TV last November. The image upgrade on the new set negates switching to Blu-ray.

So count me as one of the last few JWFANs who hasn't and probably won't be converting anytime soon.

sorry Mark it does not negate it. My flat panel looks great, but it looks best watching an HD channel or a blu ray, and remember I was the one who didn't see it, until I saw it.

The difference from standard def cable to HD programming is more noticeable than the different from a well-made DVD to a blu ray of the same title, IMHO.

also Mark you can get a Blu ray player for around 70 bucks. I saw that Walmart was selling the Viseo Blu ray with built in wifi for 98 bucks. I bought several HDMI cables for 5 bucks each last year on Black Friday.

Mark just bought a house. I think a BR is not a priority ;)

I bought one of those too. I figured I would have the things I want in it as well.

I no longer collect film scores at the horder pace that so many here do so I concentrate on Blu rays now, and some dvds.

doing my best Koray imitation I plan on picking up Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince Ultimate Editions, Ben Hur Blu, Ten Commandments, Superman the Motion Picture Anthology, Night of the Hunter.

I will also continue collecting Amicus and Hammer Horror, and I've also found a source for many of the ABC Tuesday and Wednesday movie of the weeks. Some of those tv films are little gems.

I bought one of those too. I figured I would have the things I want in it as well.

That's one of the problems, we've filled it stuff we've needed / wanted. ;)

Yeah, plus I had to buy the wife a new TV for the bedroom since I confiscated the original one for our game room. ;)

That's one of the problems, we've filled it stuff we've needed / wanted. ;)

Yeah, plus I had to buy the wife a new TV for the bedroom since I confiscated the original one for our game room. ;)

you're preaching to the choir. We have a flat panel in the bedroom and the living room. There are old fashion tvs in the two bedrooms and one in the kitchen. The one in the kitchen is a little color 9 inch, but it has a dvd built in. Cost 42 bucks and makes working in there much easier. We no longer have a home stereo but we have a boom box. We have soundbars hooked up to both flat panels and each has a blu ray hooked up.

I'm not allowed to put one in the kitchen.

Dave demanded it. He said he couldn't/wouldn't cook unless he had a tv in there.

He's got to be able to watch Judge Judy while fixing supper.

Well, it's a digital signal so it still wouldn't make any difference. It's all just 01010101010101... It either gets there or it doesn't.

Transmission faults in a poor cable would result in bits getting flipped (from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0). If the signal includes parity bits, some of these flips can be corrected. If too many bits are faulty, the resulting signal will be scrambled. For a compressed signal, that will usually have noticeable effects (because an entire compression frame is garbage - for audio signals, that would result in a loud noise or a bit of silence). For an uncompressed video signal, it would probably just affect individual pixels, which would be hard to notice on a 1080p image.

But as I said, I have no clue how HDMI signals are constructed.

Hmmm...I guess it's clear who the wife is in this relationship....

you don't get how it works at all. and here I thought you had a better understanding.

The price of an HDMI cable does not dictate quality. But I do believe there are differences between different types, such as fiber optic, gold plated, THX Certified, etc.

They all should cost $2-$8, but they're the biggest money maker in retail so that's why they're so expensive. It pains me to see people throwing down $60+ on something worth $2.