What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

No Direction Home: Bob Dylan

I felt inspired to revisit this after watching I'm Not There. It's just as good as I remember it being, too. No surprise, since it's a Scorsese movie.

I never finished watching that. 3 hour documentaries are not fun. Although at the time I wasn't as interested in Dylan as I am now. Maybe I should give it another try.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hour documentaries are not fun.

I wish Oliver Stone would realize that....

Oliver Stone is probably the most overrated director ever. Up there with Brian De Palma. Oddly enough I love JFK, and Platoon the last time I saw it, even though now I probably wouldn't find it all that special.

If I want a superb war film, I'll watch Apocalypse Now or Black Hawk Down o, or, ah I can't think of any others. But oh yeah, Francis Ford Coppolla is pretty overrated too.

The Godfather and Apocalypse Now are the only films of his I like. I think The Godfather is pretty overrated. Apocalypse is much greater in my opinion. But that's the thing, he directs a small handful of films and they get praised as the greatest films ever made. He tries to direct again, and then you get a piece of crap like Youth Without Youth. It was luck as I see it.

The Godfather and Apocalypse Now are the only films of his I like. I think The Godfather is pretty overrated. Apocalypse is much greater in my opinion. But that's the thing, he directs a small handful of films and they get praised as the greatest films ever made. He tries to direct again, and then you get a piece of crap like Youth Without Youth. It was luck as I see it.

In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.

Bachelor Flat wasn't! :P The Accidental Tourist was the only one previously available on CD. It doesn't matter whether it was previously available in some form or not though, look at what Williams music is left to be released. It's not like Intrada or FSM is never gonna release another Williams score. Family Plot and Black Sunday are top choices the way I see it.

I doubt any of the Varese JW scores will get rereleased any time soon, especially the club releases. They're limited for a reason. So the way I see it, we'll probably get one or two jazzy comedies first, maybe a re-release of an oop score, but we're definitely getting Family Plot and Black Sunday in the somewhat near future. Hell, I'm only 18, so I've got my whole life to look forward to them :P

I certainly hope you're right!

I've only seen The Conversation; what did you think of that?

My favorite Coppola.

The Parallax View: I foresee that this one will be remaked one of these years (propably starring George Clooney or Will Smith). At times, the film suffers from wanting to be an ordinary action movie. And then, in stark contrast to that, the last 30 or 40 minutes play like a silent movie.

parallax-view.jpg

Alex

No Direction Home: Bob Dylan

I felt inspired to revisit this after watching I'm Not There. It's just as good as I remember it being, too. No surprise, since it's a Scorsese movie.

I never finished watching that. 3 hour documentaries are not fun. Although at the time I wasn't as interested in Dylan as I am now. Maybe I should give it another try.

You definitely should. It plays especially well with I'm Not There fresh in mind (and vice-versa, I would imagine).

I did not like "JFK" at all. If John Williams did not score the film, I might have called it a waste of time. And I like Francis Ford Coppola.

JFK is a great movie. It's complete hogwash, but so long as you know that from the outset, it's fine, fine stuff. But yes, even if you hate it, Williams' score is tremendous.

Personally, I don't think Oliver Stone is particularly overrated. My favorite Stone movie is Natural Born Killers, a feverish, terrifying, haunting piece of crazy that a LOT of people cannot stand; I saw it with my father, who still calls it the worst movie he's ever seen.

I thought "The Outsiders" was pretty good, too.

That makes two of us. Although I think I prefer the original cut to the director's cut that came out a few years ago. Either way, it's a good movie.

JFK is a great movie. It's complete hogwash, but so long as you know that from the outset, it's fine, fine stuff.

To be fair, I did not know that from the "outset": I assumed it would have been about President Kennedy directly. However, that being said... I still do not like it.

That makes two of us. Although I think I prefer the original cut to the director's cut that came out a few years ago. Either way, it's a good movie.

Hm? There is a Director's Cut? Oh wait, now I remember! My older sister was obsessed with the film a few years ago, and she made me watch both versions. The Director's Cut was more faithful to the novel, correct?

I think The Godfather is pretty overrated.

Please tell me this is some teenage rebelling-against-the-choices-of-your-peers crap and you don't actually think that.

I think The Godfather is pretty overrated.

Oh boy

I'm not saying it's bad, not at all. It's a damn fine film. It's not the greatest film of all time, and that is how it is pretty overrated because it has this aura that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. That simply is not true.

It's not the greatest film of all time, and that is how it is pretty overrated because it has this aura that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. That simply is not true.

Maybe, but it's their opinion. You simply don't share it. Whether there is something wrong with it is purely subjective, it might not even be a parameter to them.

Alex

To be fair, I did not know that from the "outset": I assumed it would have been about President Kennedy directly. However, that being said... I still do not like it.

I know! Kevin Costner is on the poster and it says "JFK", so you'd expect Costner to play him, right? Wrong! Then it happened again with Thirteen Days, just when you thought he'd play him again, he plays some side character! Ugh!

Speaking of Costner, I just watched The Postman. I didn't mind it. It was cheesy, but entertaining for its old fashioned epic charm. I like how the message of the film was that humans are dependent on communication, where Costner's character starts a technological revolution that unites the survivors of the nuclear war against the war-lord thugs who had taken over.

I thought the flak this movie copped was a bit undeserved.

I don't remember The Postman all that well, but I recall being fairly entertained by it when it came out. It's too long, but I'd rather see a movie be over-ambitious than the opposite.

I think Costner, in general, has gotten a bad rap. The guy has done mostly good movies throughout his career. Including the aforementioned Thirteen Days, which is really the property of the awesome Bruce Greenwood.

I think a lot of people simply were tired of Kostner, who always seemed to play the same Dances With Wolves character. Also important, the ridiculously high budgets of Kostner's movies did not justify the end product.

Sometimes a star can fall out of grace. The public decided it didn't need Kostner anymore. Will The Postman (and Waterworld) strike back from its bad flak? Was it truly underrated? Only time will tell.

Alex

THE PHANTOM MENACE

Well, it took ten minutes before I turned it off. That's a record for me.

LIVE AND LET DIE

Love it. Such a mmmkaying weird Bond. Seymour is stunning. 007 needs to go up against more voodoo druglords backed up with henchmen with robot arms and jazz funeral bands.

He made four amazing movies in the 70's. That's not mere luck. And The Conversation is a great, great movie. I personally like it more than Apocalypse, although the first two Godafthers are pretty darn hard to beat in my book.

I saw G.W. Pabst's Die 3 Groschen-Oper )The Threepenny Opera_, based on the Brecht-Weill musical (1931). I was surprised and dissapointed by how little music there was. The film itself has some wonderful satire, but it's an early sound film that does not seem to be very comfortable in it's own skin. I did not care for it all that much.

THE PHANTOM MENACE

Oh come on, it could not be that bad. The first ten minutes were pretty nice, would you agree?

The dialogue is such crap I wouldn't except anyone to be able to sit through it.

Star Trek: Generations

Over all a not too bad of a film especially being the first Next Generation film. The only thing I hated is how they handled Kirk's death. Yes I know about the original way of how they handled it but even that sucked.

Of course hearing McCarthy's score rocked through the film, I hope one day we get an expanded release for it.

THE PHANTOM MENACE

Oh come on, it could not be that bad. The first ten minutes were pretty nice, would you agree?

It was either turn it off or bang my head against the wall. Between the zero chemistry between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, the uncomfortable Nemoidian accents, the dialogue ("Are you brain dead?"), and the acting (particularly the Republic cruiser pilots, one of whom was actually good in THE COMMITMENTS so I put it down to George's direction, or lack thereof), there was nothing that I could consider "nice." The amazing thing: I was begging for Jar Jar to appear to throw some life into the picture.

It says something that I can't sit through the time it takes for me to have a cigarette break's worth of TPM, yet I'm utterly enthralled by the CLONE WARS tv series.

Over all a not too bad of a film especially being the first Next Generation film. The only thing I hated is how they handled Kirk's death. Yes I know about the original way of how they handled it but even that sucked.

Of course hearing McCarthy's score rocked through the film, I hope one day we get an expanded release for it.

I think it's actually a really underrated flick, and one of the only TNG flicks that actually looks and feels like a movie. Maybe it's cause I'm near the mid-point in my life, but the themes speak so much more to me now than when I originally saw it.

THE PHANTOM MENACE

The Neimoidians are amongst the most cringe-inducingly awful creations to ever appear on film. When the movie came out and they showed up, I nearly shat my pants with dismay, because I knew the movie was going to suck.

The Kirk prologue is kinda weak, and everything once Picard goes in search of Kirk is extremely weak ... but otherwise, it's a very, very good movie. And I've always loved McCarthy's score; I wish he'd stuck around, since it's better than the three Goldsmith did, in my opinion.

You did not like the sequence when the Jedi are trying to cut down the door? Oh, and I love villains that you just want to strangle, regardless of the reason(s). It makes them feel more... villainous.

I love the majority of the movie. But the elements of it that don't work so don't work that it's as if some dude was walking by and kicking me in the nuts every few minutes. Hard to enjoy a movie when your junk is getting smashed.

The Neimoidians...? Awful.

Jar Jar...? Awful.

Jake Lloyd...? Awful.

Two-headed pod-race announcer...? Awful.

Boss Nass...? Awful.

Probably there's more; I can't recall.

But yes, a lot of it is terrific. For example, Liam Neeson is great; and the woefully underutilized Darth Maul is great, too. The score is great, most of the effects are great. Heck, I even like Captain Tarpals.

Overall, though, it's a bad movie.

I love the majority of the movie. But the elements of it that don\'t work so don\'t work that it\'s as if some dude was walking by and kicking me in the nuts every few minutes. Hard to enjoy a movie when your junk is getting smashed.

The Neimoidians...? Awful.

Jar Jar...? Awful.

Jake Lloyd...? Awful.

Two-headed pod-race announcer...? Awful.

Boss Nass...? Awful.

Probably there\'s more; I can\'t recall.

But yes, a lot of it is terrific. For example, Liam Neeson is great; and the woefully underutilized Darth Maul is great, too. The score is great, most of the effects are great. Heck, I even like Captain Tarpals.

Overall, though, it\'s a bad movie.

I agree with a number of your sentimentalities, but I never hated Jake Lloyd as much as some people here did. Though I certainly do not like him, one must realize that highly competent nine-year-old actors are not exactly in high abundance. And, after seeing the featurette about the 50,000,000 children who auditioned for the part, I think Jake Lloyd was the best choice.

This is true.

This is why I feel bad for Hayden Christensen. The films started and ended his career, which is a shame, because I saw him in another film and his performance was brilliant.

This is true.

This is why I feel bad for Hayden Christensen. The films started and ended his career, which is a shame, because I saw him in another film and his performance was brilliant.

You mean Shattered Glass? Because he was shockingly good in that.

And I've always loved McCarthy's score; I wish he'd stuck around, since it's better than the three Goldsmith did, in my opinion.

That's one thing I got to disagree with. The calibration between Jerry and his son Joel for First Contact is brilliant and Insurrection and Nemesis are also good scores. I don't think McCarthy could have turned out anything better.

Agreed. I think McCarthy's was very good, and his Overture was fantastic, but I don't think it betters NEMESIS at least, as I think that's a really underrated score. FIRST CONTACT and INSURRECTION are a bit trickier, as I get bored by some parts of those.

This is true.

Yeah, that's the one. He was fantastic.

I love McCarthy's Generations, but you just can't take him and pass up Jerry. You just can't. First Contact is magnificent, Nemesis is quite good, and Insurrection is...er,....well, Marian likes it. :lol:

I've lost count of how many times I've said this, but what the hey, one more time: Generations is a damn good movie until the moment Picard goes into the Nexus, and then it all falls apart.

I've lost count of how many times I've said this, but what the hey, one more time: Generations is a damn good movie until the moment Picard goes into the Nexus, and then it all falls apart.

That I agree with.

That's one thing I got to disagree with. The calibration between Jerry and his son Joel for First Contact is brilliant and Insurrection and Nemesis are also good scores. I don't think McCarthy could have turned out anything better.

McCarthy's score might be better than Nemesis, but aside from that it's the least good of the Trek scores. It's still a fine score, and works very well in the film, but every single of the other scores (again, save Nemesis, in my opinion) has something special.

I think it's good music on its own, but the consensus, at least as far as I know, has been that as a Trek score it's the weakest. That's really what I was getting at, although not having heard TVH in a while and not having heard Nemesis at all, I am curious as to where TVH places for him.

Milk (***)

A very fine film. It's strong suit is the performances, all of them were great: Penn, Franco, Hirsch, and Brolin. Well made as a period piece, but overall I didn't think it was anything that special. I'd say it's Best Picture quality, considering how bad this year has been for films. Elfman's score did its job, but it didn't stand out to me.

Which was due to good casting.

Inland Empire: I gave up half way. There was virtually nothing in the movie that stimulated me to keep watching. Too bad (for me) because I think I like all other David Lynch movies.

Alex

Apparently, now that he doesn't shoot on expensive film and has complete freedom as to what he wants to do, he lost it completely. Too bad.

Karol - who didn't even bother to watch Inland Empire.