Upcoming Films

Quintus

It's at 84% on RT and a 3.5 out of 5 on Letterboxd. So that reviewer is in the minority (but of course his opinion is his)

I really enjoyed it a great deal. It's not perfect, but it made me smile and Chalamet has a lot of charisma

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I’ve not seen it but being a massive Divine Comedy fan (literally my favourite thing that isn’t film or classical music) am looking forward to seeing it. I have to admit that I enjoyed the songs (and Joby Talbot’s fun score) but they aren’t Neil Hannon’s best work, fun and charming though they are.

I’ll write more on the new scores thread at some point but my main issue with reviews like this is the whole “I couldn’t remember the new songs over and above the ones that have been around for 50 years (or whatever it is) and therefore the new songs must be terrible”. It’s Mary Poppins Returns all over again. Now I’m not convinced that the new Wonka songs will necessarily be as famous as the ones from the older movie in 50 years (if they are remembered at all) but reviewers should be banned from making this kind of comparison as it’s pointless trying to pit brand new songs against classics that have essentially entered the public consciousness. For my money, the MP Returns songs are much more sophisticated and interesting than the originals even if they aren’t as instantly memorable (although I defy anyone to tell me Can You Imagine That isn’t super catchy or Nowhere to Go But Up isn’t at least a little tear inducing).

One thing I did like with Wonka was the new arrangement of Pure Imagination which makes it less mawkish than the original and, ironically, more contemporary sounding (albeit only relatively) than the new songs.

Can’t remember what the reaction was to Danny Elfman’s songs for the Tim Burton version was but have to admit that I love them. In fairness I’d probably rather a bit more Elfman quirkiness than Neil Hannon sincerity for a film like this. Which will probably get me shunned by the Divine Comedy fan community lol. 

My dad loved the original 70s Wonka movie so he went to the theaters (his first time in... well, in quite a long time) to see this. He really liked and said it was better than the Burton movie (which he took us to see when it came out).

I'm glad for him but I think I'll skip this one because I don't really care about: a- feel good magical whimsical musicals like this or Mary Poppins Returns and b- the whole Willy Wonka franchise (not a fan of the Burton movie and never seen the 70s one).

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Damn it, the trailer has a resource

I LOLed when I saw it. One of the dumbest things I've seen in a while. Apparently some people will need therapy after watching this very normal-looking thriller and the studio want them to go to their website before whining on Twitter.

Oh, that book whose movie adaptations would never, under any circunstance, be made today? 

I guess the producers of this new movie wanted to make their own version of that book but just to avoid controversies they made the female character to be 18 (this is explicity stated in the trailer).

13 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Martin looks just like the old man in that book by Nabokov.

Someone pointed out to me that the whole world now pronounces his name wrong (it's Na-BOH-kov with a short Na and a  long OH sound) because Sting needed to rhyme with "cough" and fit the meter.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

So is this eventually leading to a remake of the original? Wasn't there a mention of missing astronauts in Rise?

8 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

So is this eventually leading to a remake of the original?

Probably

8 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Wasn't there a mention of missing astronauts in Rise?

Yep

This has been delayed countless times but now has a release date for Oct. 4.

Mostly posting this because Thomas Newman does the score (at least I hope he still does) and it looks like a good fit.

On 15/12/2023 at 6:51 AM, Edmilson said:

I LOLed when I saw it. One of the dumbest things I've seen in a while. Apparently some people will need therapy after watching this very normal-looking thriller and the studio want them to go to their website before whining on Twitter.

"This movie contains complex themes. Viewer discretion is advised." :lol:

12 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Chris Sanders Returns To Dreamworks To Direct ‘The Wild Robot’

Wonder who will score it. Silvestri or Powell?

An embarrassment of riches. Or maybe the NEXT Silvestri or Powell!

(I literally just sat down to listen to Settling the Score talking about How to Train Your Dragon and I wondered "What's Sanders doing these days?" Then I read this.)

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oooh I've been listening to that podcast too!  Just got to the one about pre-Jaws Williams, it's great

Heh. I binged this thing about a year ago, only to find out that their regular release is every two months (or more)! There are some really outstanding episodes. This podcast got me to appreciate Vaughn Williams' Sinfonia Antartica. And the Young Frankenstein episode is great.

I really enjoyed the Listening To episodes on John Barry, Bernard Herrmann, Maurice Jarre, and Elmer Bernstein

The John Barry one is particular made me want to buy a bunch more scores from him since I only have a handful

• 2 weeks later...

Guy Ritchie is a beast

Last year he had two movies - Covenant and Operation Fortune, and this year he already has The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare with Henry Cavill and Eiza González coming out, and he just wrapped on an untitled action flick starring Henry Cavill and Jake Gyllenhaal.  Well now he's got yet ANOTHER one coming out with John Krasinski & Natalie Portman called Fountain of Youth

How does he do so many projects?

https://deadline.com/2024/01/john-krasinski-natalie-portman-guy-ritchie-fountain-of-youth-1235716871/

Great cast. Great directors (of Ready Or Not & Scream 5 + 6), interesting take on a decade old trope.

I'm there

Oh, and score by Brian Tyler

22 minutes ago, A24 said:

He probably has a lot of bills to pay and Top Gun is a sure thing for Tom.

That's what they said about the last Mission: Impossible. (Which was much better than its box office suggested.)

But not exactly great either. 

The plot had so much potential. I love that the fact that the new villain is an ultra powerful AI instead of the usual terrorists, arms dealers, etc. Makes the movie very topical. The scene at the beginning when all the suits are discussing how out of control the Entity has become and how much of an apocalyptic threat it is. These aren't just terrorists with nukes, where Ethan could just punch them and thwart their plans. No, the menace of the Entity is something much more out of control.

But then by the third act the movie became... another typical M: I movie where Ethan has to punch terrorists in a grandiose set-piece. I wanted to learn more about the Entity, what caused it to become evil and how Ethan could defeat it, not about that generic villain (another terrorist who became a fanatical follower for an evil mastermind, not unlike the Syndicate from the previous two movies). Hayley Atwell's character wasn't exactly great either (Ilsa was so much better in M: I 5 and 6).

Anyway, it's not bad, the action scenes are good (at least that I hope a M: I movie can deliever) and the cinematography is great. But it could've been so much better.

53 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

But not exactly great either. 

The plot had so much potential. I love that the fact that the new villain is an ultra powerful AI instead of the usual terrorists, arms dealers, etc. Makes the movie very topical. The scene at the beginning when all the suits are discussing how out of control the Entity has become and how much of an apocalyptic threat it is. These aren't just terrorists with nukes, where Ethan could just punch them and thwart their plans. No, the menace of the Entity is something much more out of control.

But then by the third act the movie became... another typical M: I movie where Ethan has to punch terrorists in a grandiose set-piece. I wanted to learn more about the Entity, what caused it to become evil and how Ethan could defeat it, not about that generic villain (another terrorist who became a fanatical follower for an evil mastermind, not unlike the Syndicate from the previous two movies). Hayley Atwell's character wasn't exactly great either (Ilsa was so much better in M: I 5 and 6).

Anyway, it's not bad, the action scenes are good (at least that I hope a M: I movie can deliever) and the cinematography is great. But it could've been so much better.

Go watch Person of Interest. :)

24 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Go watch Person of Interest. :)

I did, for the first, I dunno, 3 seasons? Don't remember anything about it. Not a fan of procedurals.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I did, for the first, I dunno, 3 seasons? Don't remember anything about it. Not a fan of procedurals.

The last two season are the war of the AIs. The last M:I felt very like that.

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yep. That palimony isn't gonna give itself to his ex and daughter ;)

Then there's that 'organization' that he belongs to and that wants a piece of the cake. 

• 2 weeks later...

Directed & starring Dev Patel and produced by Jordan Peele.

Looks fantasically bonkers. I love Patel, so this is a must see for me!

EXCLUSIVE: In an arguable first for a Disney+ movie, Disney is contemplating a theatrical release for the Daisy Ridley starring, Joachim Rønning directed feature take of Glenn Stout’s Young Woman and the Sea after the picture scored in the high 90s.

Deadline is hearing that a May 31 theatrical release date is being eyed with a big global campaign, further boosted by a Summer Olympics 2024 campaign tied to the movie’s Disney+ release over the summer. These dates aren’t ironclad, and could still be flexible. Presumably, talent needs to be looped in on their deals as this film goes from streaming to theatrical.

https://deadline.com/2024/01/daisy-ridley-young-woman-and-the-sea-disney-theatrical-release-1235806172/

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Another one?

Yes, please! (although I wish it was Paul Verhoeven's Jesus project)

81QghUKSZtL._SL1200_.jpg