The Mine Car Chase

Goldsmithfan

Yesterday I cleaned off my LP of Temple of Doom and gave it a listen. I don't know if it was because of my two (or possibly three) week hiatus from listening to music (don't ask me why) or if I was just listening extra hard but it really, really hit the spot. Temple of Doom is definitely my favorite score of the bunch, but the OST is, as many others have said, far too brief. The second half really flies by. Temple of Doom through to The Mine Car Chase are a dizzying blur of musical excitement. Bug Tunnel and Death Trap is Williams at his peak with a leitmotiv that kills me every time and the Slave Children music comes very close to putting the Raiders March to shame, in my opinion of course (the string statement during Short Round's Theme is one of the best).

In any case, I'll get to my point. When I first listened to the OST a few months ago I'd only heard the DVD rip. I was used to having the bridge music and all that fun stuff so I felt that the finale of the legit release was really, really weak. Not bad... It's just that I'd been spoiled. But yesterday I really got into The Mine Car Chase. I noticed little things that I hadn't before, or that I hadn't remembered noticing. I never consciously realized that the eight note motive from Slalom on Mt. Humol was revisited here (maybe it's just chaos music, in which case it serves the mine cars well). And those damn 14 note brass phrases with the woodwind glisses backing them are absolutely sublime.

I usually listen to Halloween type scores around Halloween, but in light of this lovely rediscovery I'm probably going to listen to The Last Crusade today. This has been an Indy year for me and just when I thought I was free of its grasp Johnny sucked me right back in again.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have paid real money to see the faces of piccolo/flute players when they got the score with their parts :huh:

This is a helluva fun, exihilarating piece, definitely one of Williams' best when it comes to action scoring.

For some reason, the music during The Mine Car sequence has never stood out to me. Not that I doubt it's excellence in the slightest, since peeps here have always raved about it. I'll give it a proper listen when we get the new release.

I've always loved this cue, especially the heroic brass motif strewn throughout and the statement of Short Round's theme as they bridge the gap in the rails (that was unfortunately cut in the film). Also because it's the only track on the OST that features Mola Ram's theme.

It's Williams at a time when he was immature and uncomplex. Fortunately, both problems have been rectified as of 2008.

Yeah. You can tell 'cause there aren't complicated piccolo/xylophone hits throughout. What a newbie he was!

The Mine Car Chase is a piece of pure fun. I love how the music conveys the break neck speed and the panic and the generally zany nature of the whole setpiece without forgetting the themes. A classic Williams action sequence which boggles the mind when you start thinking of those poor musicians who had to perform such brilliant music but had so little time to rehearse it :huh: I wonder if JW fell off the page with this like with General Grievous material in ROTS.

The track is a lot of fun just like the rest of the score. It isn't my favorite action piece of the three though, not by a long shot.

Totally awesome, wildly exuberant track.

Ray Barnsbury - apparently talking like a Ninja Turtle.

Radical dude!

It's good fun (love the brass motif in it), but it'd have a hard time making my top 5 Indy action cues.

I find other cues from other films more exciting than The Mine Car Chase...
yes but you're still a newbie when it comes to these scores, it wasn't that long ago that you absolutely wouldn't listen to them.

I find the current TOD score to be a masterpiece and a joy to listen, and its the one I am most glad its going to be virtually complete

Of course it isn't. That would be Desert Chase.

Actually it would something from TLC, either "Scherzo for Motorcycle" or "On the Tank".

While listening to "Desert Chase" the other day, it struck me how different it is compared with the action music of Temple. It's a lot more restrained and deliberate, as opposed to Temple's more frenetic, "balls-out" approach. Both are terrific, of course. (I haven't been listening to these scores for years and years like most, so forgive the belated revelations).

I find other cues from other films more exciting than The Mine Car Chase...
yes but you're still a newbie when it comes to these scores, it wasn't that long ago that you absolutely wouldn't listen to them.

Good point. Are you happy though I'm going to give them a chance with the box set? :lol:

Overrated. My favourite is On the Tank, without question.

The only thing I find overrated about it is the recording of the brass. I really can't stand that era of harshness from the LSO brass. On the Tank is probably my second favourite though.

The LSO brass playing in those years is simply amazing to my ears. Yes, it's harsh, but its own little imperfections make the performance really alive. The nuances they bring to the recording are impressive. There's a section in "Desert Chase", when the trombones kick in the Raiders B Theme, where the intonation is so great and thrilling that I always smile like a kid when I'm listening to it.

desert chase is great, but sometimes it feels to me to much loud and strident.

I suppose that's its charm

And once watching the movie, it felt out of place, if if the music didnt match the images.

but i suppose that was just me :P

Yes it's just you.

:P

I think Ray is correct, I kinda compare Raiders & TOD to Star Wars & TESB. Both Raiders and SW had restraint to them and for the next films Williams cut loose.

In my view, The Slave Children's Crusade is the best action cue in the entire series. I don't know that Johnny's been more badass than in the opening seconds.

Ted

The only thing I find overrated about it is the recording of the brass. I really can't stand that era of harshness from the LSO brass. On the Tank is probably my second favourite though.

The LSO did not play on TOD, nor TLC, so I am not sure what you are talking about.

The LSO did not play on TOD, nor TLC, so I am not sure what you are talking about.

I think he was referring to "Desert Chase".

Mine Car Chase contains some really complex writing and is one of his best action Scherzo´s imo. On the original recording the sound quality is too dry and muted which diminishes the listening experience. I think the City of Prague Philharmominc re-recording, although not perfect, captures some of the shining crisp sound Williams must have had in mind.

Mine Car Chase contains some really complex writing and is one of his best action Scherzo´s imo.

Is it a scherzo?

Mine Car Chase contains some really complex writing and is one of his best action Scherzo´s imo.

Is it a scherzo?

Yes ;)

I think he was referring to "Desert Chase".

Thanks for pointing that out to the more literal of this boards thinkers. :)

Is it a scherzo?

Yes ;)

Oooooookay, what the hell is a scherzo?

yes i agree i think Mine car chase is a very nice not to mention original and frantic cue, it wasn't untill i first heard the OST on lp when i was 16 (wow has it been that long :lol: ) that i really noticed the track as it was kind of burried in the film. (back then it was just mono vhs, never heard of dvd or 5.1 at the time :) )

although Desert Chase remains my favorite action cue as it is in my opinion a musical masterpiece and so on. But truth be told i lack total objectivity when it comes to Raiders :)

Is it a scherzo?

Yes :)

joke in italian :P

:beerchug:

Is it a scherzo?

ma, è la veritá mio amico.

Is it a scherzo?

ma, è la veritá mio amico.

si, ma è anche molto divertente :)